• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

I saw in another thread someone using a charcoal grate for a 22" Weber to raise the fire closer to the grid for searing steaks and burgers and thelike. great idea but it made me wonder about the charcoal basket that Chargriller offers for the Akorn which can be raised and lowered.

Anyone tried that basket on their Akorn?

Seems like it could do the same sort of thing--bring the fire closer to the food.

And, it might prove useful in other circumstances--similar to a KAB allowing easy disposal of ash,  as well as a quick and easy removal of a load of charcoal from the firebox when you were wanting to cold smoke cheese, for instance.

Last night I sous-vide'd a small New York Strip. I knew my charcoal was getting low in the firebox and I didn't have an open bag of lump to bring it up to optimal searing level. On top of that, I just didn't want to go to the basement to fetch another bag....

So I found a small grate from an older grill that I laid on top of the hot coals and seared away!

I brung the food closer to the fire...  :)

Thanks for the reply.

Not a bad idea...I've seen where people just put the food directly on the charcoal, as well.

But I'm still wondering about the Chargriller adjustable charcoal basket (I am pretty sure it is made for the Akorn).

right now I have over a half firebox of charcoal and wondering what to do with it when I want to cold smoke some cheese. Sure I can dump it out but it would be easier to just lift it out with the basket and put the smoker tube on the default charcoal grate.

I've used a metal colander in my Keg to get the same effect.  It worked well for a couple of steaks/burgers.  It gives a smaller diameter cooking surface but it did what I wanted it to.

Edited by K'man

Thanks all...

Yes, in the opening post i mentioned another thread where a member had suggested using a smaller grate that sat on the brackets where the smoking stone goes.

And I've seen the KAB.

But Chargriller offers their own version for the Akorn if I'm not mistaken--

Here

With all the aKorn devotees here I'm surprised no one has tried this.

I use the charcoal grate very often in my Akorn because it's the only way I have found to have a two-zone cook.  The charcoal grate for the 22" Weber fits the smoking stone tabs exactly and costs about $11.  Adding that 1 thing makes your Akorn a new cooking tool.  Gonna do this month's challenge this weekend and I'm doing it 2-zone.

Thanks @daninpd I think it was your post in another thread that I was referring to in my original remarks and question. I understand the notion of adding that grate for raising the fire--you place your charcoal (could even be briquettes) and cook on the regular CI grid such things as brats and burgers and even steaks. Is that right?

So then do you build the fire off to one side them to give you a bit of indirect?  I'd sure like to see a photo of your set up.

@daninpd What's the diameter of that grate, anyway? Weber says it's 17" (if I'm looking at the right one) and Walmart says it's 16". Lowes doesn't list any charcoal grate for the 22"Weber.

??

1 hour ago, DWFII said:

@daninpd What's the diameter of that grate, anyway? Weber says it's 17" (if I'm looking at the right one) and Walmart says it's 16". Lowes doesn't list any charcoal grate for the 22"Weber.

??

I put the tape on it:  17".  Amazon lists it as the "Weber 7441 Replacement Charcoal Grate 17 Inches".  That's where I bought it.

1 hour ago, daninpd said:

I put the tape on it:  17".  Amazon lists it as the "Weber 7441 Replacement Charcoal Grate 17 Inches".  That's where I bought it.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, DWFII said:

So then do you build the fire off to one side them to give you a bit of indirect?  I'd sure like to see a photo of your set up.

I will be doing a challenge cook this weekend and it will be a two-zone cook.  Will post a picture of the setup.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:13 AM, DWFII said:

I remembered I had a good photo in the Shawarma challenge except in that cook I had the coals in a ring instead of half and half.  I could imagine a chicken roasting in the middle of that ring of fire.