On 2/13/2018 at 9:43 AM, DWFII said:

I saw in another thread someone using a charcoal grate for a 22" Weber to raise the fire closer to the grid for searing steaks and burgers and thelike. great idea but it made me wonder about the charcoal basket that Chargriller offers for the Akorn which can be raised and lowered.

Anyone tried that basket on their Akorn?

Seems like it could do the same sort of thing--bring the fire closer to the food.

And, it might prove useful in other circumstances--similar to a KAB allowing easy disposal of ash,  as well as a quick and easy removal of a load of charcoal from the firebox when you were wanting to cold smoke cheese, for instance.

I bought one when I got JRs and made a cover/stone order direct from Char Griller anyway. It works. I am not blown away by it but it does what it claims. 

36 minutes ago, gotzero said:

I bought one when I got JRs and made a cover/stone order direct from Char Griller anyway. It works. I am not blown away by it but it does what it claims. 

Thanks...not sure what you mean about the cover/stone? What don't you like about it? It is the CG charcoal basket we're talking about, right? (just that the cover/stone bit has me confused)

20 minutes ago, DWFII said:

Thanks...not sure what you mean about the cover/stone? What don't you like about it? It is the CG charcoal basket we're talking about, right? (just that the cover/stone bit has me confused)

Char-Griller was the cheapest source to get the grill cover and smokin' stone for the Akorn Jr. While I was at it and already picked up shipping, I added the charcoal basket for the Akorn. 

26 minutes ago, gotzero said:

Char-Griller was the cheapest source to get the grill cover and smokin' stone for the Akorn Jr. While I was at it and already picked up shipping, I added the charcoal basket for the Akorn. 

Thanks...but you don't seem all that enthusiastic about it. Why is that? Pros and cons, etc...

9 hours ago, DWFII said:

Thanks...but you don't seem all that enthusiastic about it. Why is that? Pros and cons, etc...

It works. It is not easy to adjust with a bed of active coals on it and because it is specially designed to sit on the Char Griller cast iron grate it does not work very well with the aftermarket stainless steel grate that I would almost always prefer to use for super hot sears. If you are planning to set and forget it with the stock grate it works perfectly well. I am happy I got it. 

13 minutes ago, gotzero said:

It works. It is not easy to adjust with a bed of active coals on it and because it is specially designed to sit on the Char Griller cast iron grate it does not work very well with the aftermarket stainless steel grate that I would almost always prefer to use for super hot sears. If you are planning to set and forget it with the stock grate it works perfectly well. I am happy I got it. 

Thank you for taking the time. That is the kind of information I was looking for. 

1 minute ago, DWFII said:

Thank you for taking the time. That is the kind of information I was looking for. 

I will try to remember to snap and post a couple of pictures of it in the Akorn this week. Having those would have been helpful when I was considering buying it. 

I had these from when I had the Weber, I put them on the lower grate (another Weber) sitting on the stone tabs under the CI Akorn grate.  Gets the fire close and it can be both in the center or one on each side for a center cool zone.  So far I've found a lot of uses for my Weber left overs.  Great set up for smaller cooks if I push them together in the center of the grill, or a true indirect which is what Weber intended, when I put one under each side of the CI grate.

5a8c464b5d41f_ScreenShot2018-02-20at10_58_24AM.png.26b05508f319d5c9550cf718d581f12f.png

I did a challenge cook today where I used the Akorn adjustable grate. I took a couple of pictures for the benefit of this thread as promised.

In the last picture, you can see it is easy to load the charcoal all the way to the grate. Next time I will make sure to get them in daylight. 

PS - I know I need to season this grate. It went in storage for the winter when I switched to SS. 

AdjustableGrate2.jpg

AdustableGrate.jpg

ChacoalToGrate.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, DWFII said:

I saw in another thread someone using a charcoal grate for a 22" Weber to raise the fire closer to the grid for searing steaks and burgers and thelike. great idea but it made me wonder about the charcoal basket that Chargriller offers for the Akorn which can be raised and lowered.

Anyone tried that basket on their Akorn?

Seems like it could do the same sort of thing--bring the fire closer to the food.

And, it might prove useful in other circumstances--similar to a KAB allowing easy disposal of ash,  as well as a quick and easy removal of a load of charcoal from the firebox when you were wanting to cold smoke cheese, for instance.

Here is a short video!