ckreef

Vietnamese Shrimp and Noodle Salad

A bright fresh noodle salad with shrimp and fresh spring rolls. Served with Nuoc Cham and peanut sauces. 

I started by making the Nuoc Cham and peanut sauces. You start with basic recipes and customize by taste. The peanut sauce was extra tasty and Mrs skreef's favorite. (missing from the picture is some milk for the peanut sauce) 

VNSa.thumb.jpg.03c8336e3a8c92acf5b806451c07b561.jpg

The rest of the ingredients. 

VNSb.thumb.jpg.552de562918edfbeaea509f9ebadcf4d.jpg

I pan steamed the small shrimp and mushrooms in Sake, lime juice, and Basil. 

VNSc.thumb.jpg.4f8ec0c029646a2bad8e26df1f416d6f.jpg

VNSd.thumb.jpg.1ed29f5222c0dd8bb4ed4a02f2065d53.jpg

Now onto the spring rolls. I started by wrapping some carrots, red cabbage, bean sprouts and spring onion in a lettuce leaf. 

VNSe.thumb.jpg.3c63f3b9e9125cc496dd9a75599102b2.jpg

VNSf.thumb.jpg.06f7b962bbda6583ff9d4a36f96d90fa.jpg

I then assembled the spring rolls. By wrapping it the way I did it assured only one layer of rice paper above the shrimp so they can easily be seen. 

VNSg.thumb.jpg.328ff8dd18ef08e5e029cb2630e5384b.jpg

VNSh.thumb.jpg.f0a00770c53d0827425d3ebd5ef729f2.jpg

VNSi.thumb.jpg.dadeca8bc6993381957f85faf1008470.jpg

Marinated then grilled the big shrimp. 

VNSj.thumb.jpg.e440af0dc96039551dd1f5a967c67a04.jpg

And put it all together -  salad for dinner. 

VNSk.thumb.jpg.879522901ad6e022bb6f5a2c3ee00a9a.jpg

I was very pleased with the results. For my first time making spring rolls with rice paper they came out decent. Will definitely make some more soon. 

37 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Wow ck - knocked it out of the park!  I love peanut sauce, too. Beautiful plate. Great entry! :)

TY KismetKamado, I was very pleased with the outcome. 

And I used the indoor camera for all the pictures. Part of the way through the picture taking I changed to the better lense. It's a funky lens to get use to. You have to be 3'-4' away and it gives you a closeup shot. It's hard for your brain to process that as you want to put the camera right on the subject for closeups. Also I had screwed my white balance setting up. You can notice that in a few of the pictures where the white plate ain't exactly white. Oh well will fix that next time around. 

57 minutes ago, K'man said:

Oh Man ck you done yourself proud! :good:

TY K'man, rolling up the rice paper for the first time was interesting. Something that would definitely get better with practice. The first rice paper I had a bowl of water that was too small which made it difficult. I threw that one away and switched to using a pie pan with warm water. Worked much better and was able to proceed. Going to make some more spring rolls this weekend to practice my new found skill. 

14 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Wowser, my friend, what a truly amazing cook. Just looks and sounds delicious. Excellent!

TY keeperovdeflame. The inspiration for this came a couple of weeks ago when I took my son to a Vietnamese restaurant and we ordered their noodle bowls. That restaurant uses fresh ingredients for everything they cook and you can really tell the difference. I wish more restaurants used all fresh ingredients. 

Anyway I wanted to try and recreate that experience at home. 

18 minutes ago, deck said:

O boy!  This looks stellar! Going to have to try this meal out over the weekend!  Looks amazing!

TY deck. A great meal for sure and surprisingly filling. 

Wow, that brings back memories.  When I was a boy, our family sponsored some refugee families from Vietnam.  We learned to love their cooking.  Unfortunately, southern PA is more than a little skimpy on Vietnamese cuisine!  My mom will still make authentic Vietnamese egg rolls for special family occasions.

4 hours ago, shuley said:

I love ordering a similar dish when I go to vietnamese food (particularly in summer) shrimp and pork vermicelli.  I love it. It is light, fresh, somehow filling and just so tasty. 

This dish was surprisingly filling and oh so tasty. A true full meal in one bowl. 

1 hour ago, Shortyque said:

Wow, that brings back memories.  When I was a boy, our family sponsored some refugee families from Vietnam.  We learned to love their cooking.  Unfortunately, southern PA is more than a little skimpy on Vietnamese cuisine!  My mom will still make authentic Vietnamese egg rolls for special family occasions.

I've only been to one Vietnamese restaurant in my life. It's local,  it's really good and I go there every few weeks. Trying to work my way through the menu.