Beermachine

Spiderco Knife Sharpener

As it says in the description:

"For keeping sharp blades, tools, and toys in optimal working condition,..."

My experience is that these types of sharpeners are fine for "touch - ups" on already good edges.

Interesting video. 

Appears  to have 2 different angles. 40* (20* bevel) or 30* (15* bevel). That would probably work for most people with a variety of knives. 

My Japanese knives have been set to 12* bevel and my German knives at a 18* bevel. Using that sharpener would make all my knives slightly less sharp. 

I've had one of these for over 25 years.  I use a diamond steel for touch ups but the Spyderco comes out every couple of months just to re-establish a proper edge. I've never found it necessary to re-grind an edge.  It is necessary on occasion to hand wash the ceramic stones.

It's a great system.

Edited by K'man

11 hours ago, K'man said:

I've had one of these for over 25 years.  I use a diamond steel for touch ups but the Spyderco comes out every couple of months just to re-establish a proper edge. I've never found it necessary to re-grind an edge.  It is necessary on occasion to hand wash the ceramic stones.

It's a great system.

Thanks, you just sold me on this. Ordering now.

I knew a red neck FWC officer that swore by his.  I think you'll like it.    My brother has the Ken Onion Work Sharp unit and says his knives are scary sharp with that.    I used the Harbor Freight one inch belt sander and made a leather belt for it and that works great.   There are high grit belts available for it from other vendors.  

I have had a Sharp Maker about 5 years now.  I use it for touch ups and daily maintenance.  I have added the extra-fine stones.  It is great to keep my serrated knives going strong as well.

I would not use it to re-profile a knife, it is best to bring out the bench stones.

I have one. It is a great system for maintaining all kinds of blades (although I am not sure how I am going to sharpen the "Reverse Serrated" Wusthof I got recently). The sharpmaker comes with two sets of stones, and you can also get diamond coated metal and "ultrafine" stones. I have but very rarely use the diamond ones. 

This gets kind of out there, but I rarely use the ultrafine anymore either. Similar to keastman, I picked up a strop that fits on the small belt sander and use that most of the time instead of ultrafine stones.