philpom

Cheap CI fire grate replacement - Buc ee's

I have one of those, as well. It is actually called a pot trivet or a meat rack and is designed to be used to lift a roast or cut of meat off the bottom of a pan while brasing it. I modified mine to not only hold the roast off the pan bottom, but to hold it vertical as well. I use it in a brasing pan surrounded with potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. Works really well with prime rib and leg of lamb. Holding the roast vertical allows for maxium air flow around it and the meat actually roasts rather than braises in pan liquid. 

DSC_3334.thumb.jpg.577303a28c7d24e89b04eb09576b2db8.jpg

DSC_3335.thumb.jpg.c6cf2c76e820fc3a530b259479055570.jpg

It is pretty thin and not very substantial. I don't know how long it will last when used as a fire grate before it cracks. 

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I have one of those, as well. It is actually called a pot trivet or a meat rack and is designed to be used to lift a roast or cut of meat off the bottom of a pan while brasing it. I modified mine to not only hold the roast off the pan bottom, but to hold it vertical as well. I use it in a brasing pan surrounded with potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. Works really well with prime rib and leg of lamb. Holding the roast vertical allows for maxium air flow around it and the meat actually roasts rather than braises in pan liquid. 

DSC_3334.thumb.jpg.577303a28c7d24e89b04eb09576b2db8.jpg

DSC_3335.thumb.jpg.c6cf2c76e820fc3a530b259479055570.jpg

It is pretty thin and not very substantial. I don't know how long it will last when used as a fire grate before it cracks. 

OK Keeper, I'm gonna have to go get one now!  I knew it was an insert but didn't think of your brilliant hack.

Here's what one looks like after almost 14 years in my K1 Kamado. There was no charcoal basket

available for the little guy when it was purchased years ago, so the solution was to use the Lodge

trivet as a charcoal grate. I recently replaced it with a Kick Ash basket of appropriate size.

Works very well.

DSC_0559.jpg

1 hour ago, K_sqrd said:

Here's what one looks like after almost 14 years in my K1 Kamado. There was no charcoal basket

available for the little guy when it was purchased years ago, so the solution was to use the Lodge

trivet as a charcoal grate. I recently replaced it with a Kick Ash basket of appropriate size.

Works very well.

It looks much better after 14 years, than I would have thought it would. Tought little guy.