Overnight butt on mini egg

Catsn'doos

20180223_210138.thumb.jpg.0e530e3d186f2a3c187cda317399cafa.jpgTonight I decided to try something new, I've always used the mini BGE for quick searing and 2-3 hour cooks. Tonight since the butt I had in the freezer was smaller than I remembered, I decided to give an overnight low and slow a shot in it just to see if the charcoal capacity allows, or if I will be up in a few hours refilling it. It sparked the barn cats interest and I got stuck with company as I was loading charcoal and cherry wood chips.20180223_220800.thumb.jpg.d52ceb02deef631bd371e0da442597e2.jpgIn the morning I'll post results

Well 10 hours and it's done, average temp between 250 and 275 most of the night with the odd fluctuation a degree or two either way. By the looks of it there is still enough charcoal it could have gone another 4-5 hours, so I estimate a mini could in fact maintain 250 for 16 hours total in the right conditions, which I find pretty impressive.

20180224_073357.thumb.jpg.bcc61ce29d8ce1f9060459cb110d57d4.jpg

This beauty will rest for a couple hours in Apple juice and cider vinegar wrapped in foil and a towel, then be pulled and taken for lunch while we wait for the fish to bite.

• 2 years later...
On 2/24/2018 at 7:51 AM, Catsn'doos said:

Well 10 hours and it's done, average temp between 250 and 275 most of the night with the odd fluctuation a degree or two either way. By the looks of it there is still enough charcoal it could have gone another 4-5 hours, so I estimate a mini could in fact maintain 250 for 16 hours total in the right conditions, which I find pretty impressive.

20180224_073357.thumb.jpg.bcc61ce29d8ce1f9060459cb110d57d4.jpg

This beauty will rest for a couple hours in Apple juice and cider vinegar wrapped in foil and a towel, then be pulled and taken for lunch while we wait for the fish to bite.

I love all my kamados but I’ve had a huge interest in my mini bge lately and really wanting to play with it.  With a family of five that doesn’t happen as much as I’d like.  I know this is an old thread but man, you’ve certainly proved the mini is capable!  I did a roast on mine not too long ago and I was thinking that using a good dense charcoal like Fogo instead of the royal oak I normally use would make a difference it burn time as we but I haven’t put that to the test.  Let’s keep seeing those mini cooks!

@Lumpy_Coal Have you considered taking the mini out on the lake with you?  I always take my Akorn Junior with me on fishing trips into the Kawarthas each year.  I set mine up waterside and enjoy the smells during the day.  I am sure that you could set yours up on the ice without issue and enjoy it as well.  

Quinte?

4 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

@Lumpy_Coal Have you considered taking the mini out on the lake with you?  I always take my Akorn Junior with me on fishing trips into the Kawarthas each year.  I set mine up waterside and enjoy the smells during the day.  I am sure that you could set yours up on the ice without issue and enjoy it as well.  

Quinte?

I have taken it car camping to Bon Echo but never on any interior trips I like to do as it’s a bit heavy for that.  Although I did try getting into the ice fishing thing for a bit, as it turns out, it’s not really my thing.  I suppose I could just sit out on the ice cooking fish for people and of course just eat some of theirs!