tsh0ck

Any help with salmon?

Got some really nice salmon fillets for use this week (for the kid and myself anyway - the mrs isn't a fish fan, so she gets chicken breast). 

Any tips or recipe suggestions? I’m thinking something sweet, maybe a honey glaze type base ... want to use it atop some orzo with toasted pine nuts. Just haven’t done anything but some full, lake caught cutthroat on there yet as far as fish goes.

I always do cedar planks with mine and just whatever seasoning I feel like. Done some yesterday and it always turns out great. At the end I use a good terriyaki sauce to glaze with. Most important thing is to cook it to the proper internal temp of 145 to 150.

I always use cedar planks.After soaking the board all day, set it right down on the x-rack.  Sprinkle the filet with sea salt and cracked pepper, put oiled skin side down on board.  ( I don't oil the board, just the skin side of fish). After filet has been on about 10 minutes, sprinkle with maple sugar and smoked paprika.  The sugar will sorta melt over the filet.  My wife and I consider this the best food we ever make on the kamado.  It would probably be a weekly occurrence if salmon didn't cost  quite so much.   I am not sure where I got this method from, maybe a John Setzler video? 

Cedar works great.....soak it all day in water.....then just before you put the salmon it, brush with olive oil.

In fact, brush both sides of the salmon with olive oil....hit the skin side with salt and lay it down on the plank.

Hit the top side with rib rub and let it ride on the grill.

Just before taking it off, brush on a blend of melted butter & pancake syrup....then hit with rib rub again.

Remove it from the grill at 140-145....

Mix a drink or pour a beer and kick back and watch your tribe pounce on it.  Fun times.

Cedar is fine...I now skip that step and simply brine the salmon for 30-40 minutes. Cook indirect at 400 on foil made pan (basic foil folded over and formed into pan) for 18-20 minutes at 3/4 -1 inch think. Adjust accordingly.

We use butter, lemon, and dill weed...simple, quick, delicious !

I dry brine my salmon in brown sugar and rock salt and then cold smoke it using my Weber tube in the KJ for 2 hours and when I hit the last half hour I microwave some raspberry jam and brush it on the salmon. I usually jam half the salmon and the other half just gets smoke.

It's fantastic in salmon dip and great after it sits in my garage fridge for a week. I'll often cut a huge Costco fillet into smaller fillets for the smoking process and vacuum seal them and keep them in the fridge and make my dip or eat a small fillet with some cheese I've smoked with the salmon. 

You can also find some good commercial rubs in stores for salmon. I found a great one on sale at The Home Depot this year when all the BBQ stuff was marked down this past fall. They had a coffee rub I put on steaks that's killer as well.

I love the taste of good salmon so I keep it real simple.  I lightly brush the skin side with oil then put some lemon pepper on top.  I grill skin side down at medium for 15 minutes.  

6 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Regardless of how you season the salmon, try cooking them on grill grates. I love the hatch marks, and it's easy to flip using the grill grate spatula.

I’m a big fan of grill grates, too.... I don’t really cook fish but they have served me well on anything I have used them for.  Actually completely replaced stock grates on my Weber Summit gasser with grill grates and a grill grate griddle panel.  That’s a pretty sweet setup.

I always use a cedar plank. Only soak for an hour, seems to do ok. Also don't oil the skin. fish comes right off the skin anyways.

I've tried some sweet rubs, but prefer salty/savory. Even weber chicago steak seasoning is good.

About 325 for 20 min. +/- depending on thickness and temp.

Thats the beauty of salmon for me, hard to do it bad! Its a very forgiving fish with the high fat content and holds together well.