First chuck roast cook

@Unclebub44  Try to avoid chasing temps would be my number 1 tip. What sort of approach are you going with?  Are you going to smoke and then braise to do something like a pepper stout beef?  Or are you just going to smoke it?  What do you plan on using the final product for?  Maybe give us a little more info on what you had in mind and we’ll see if anyone has any revelations. :)

I planned on doing one for burnt ends and one for pulled beef. I lost track of time and pretty much over cooked it. I pulled it,shredded it, put it in a pan, and tossed with some bbq, alergo, and some beer. Turned out ok, but not what was planned. Hashtag # first real smoke blues.....

Been there... done that... more than once....  learn from this one and apply to the next one. :)  

You might notice, we have a tendency to post more of our success cooks than fails.  But we learn from our less than stellar cooks to help us the next time around...

I don't know if you have a dutch oven but one way I like to do a chuck roast is to do it on the Kamado LNS  up to about 165˚F.  I like oak for smoke if you want smoke.  That way you still have some rendering to do then put it in the D/O, lid on and take it up to 205 or so.  Gives you lots of possibilities after that.  It will stay moist.

• 1 year later...

K’man, that sounds better then what I just did,but my wife thought I just did a brisket,so I guess I can’t complain at all. I smoked to 165 IT, put a sliced onion and 2cups of beef broth in foil pan and covered in foil,placed it back on,shooting for an ITof205.  Well I fell asleep and when I checked on it,it was 211IT,like I said it was great,fooled my wife.  

I really like the idea of the Dutch oven,I might still do the onions,and maybe not the broth,or just half the broth,and end up with gravy fixings. Got me hungry now. Thanks for the idea. I love this forum. 

10 hours ago, Whaledawg said:

K’man, that sounds better then what I just did,but my wife thought I just did a brisket,so I guess I can’t complain at all. I smoked to 165 IT, put a sliced onion and 2cups of beef broth in foil pan and covered in foil,placed it back on,shooting for an ITof205.  Well I fell asleep and when I checked on it,it was 211IT,like I said it was great,fooled my wife.  

I really like the idea of the Dutch oven,I might still do the onions,and maybe not the broth,or just half the broth,and end up with gravy fixings. Got me hungry now. Thanks for the idea. I love this forum. 

Welcome Whaledawg,  glad to have you with us. Please stop by the introduction section of our forum and let all our folks know who you are and such. Happy Cooking.