newb24

Kamado Joe Classic II Repair Thread

So, came across a sad looking Kamado Joe that needed to come home with me.  I got it for a steal in my opinion, was very glad most of the parts were there and no damage to the bottom.  I've already e-mailed KJ and I can order a new dome through a dealer, trying to assess what else I will need. 

Looks like:

New vent cap

New Latch

New Handle

Side trays

Possible new top dome straps

possibly new grate for firebox

I do have the nesting bed for it with casters which is nice.

I'm pretty pumped as it has all the new stuff on it, hinge, ash box, fiberglass gasket.   I do have the Deluth Forge one already and I love it, but I have been wanting to upgrade to the KJ, really want to upgrade to the Big Joe,  maybe I'll fix up this one and sell both and get the Big Joe, who knows.  Wifey says one has to go at least!

What do you guys, think, fairly easy fix?  Here is to hoping some of the small stuff isn't crazy expensive, was very pleased with the price of the dome from KJ

UGH, not letting me upload right now...will try later

Following with interest

You can probably skip replacing the fire grate and just buy a kick ash basket instead

Alternatively, someone here might have a spare fire grate from when they upgraded to a KAB

My fire grate has become a lid for my ash bucket since the KAB arrived

Dude, big score. My store recently relegated the KJ display to an area it won't be seen....I mean it won't be seen by customers, but more importantly power equipment drivers. I suspect I will see a similar looking Joe in my near future. 

Nice score for u tho.

16 hours ago, prowe said:

Dude, big score. My store recently relegated the KJ display to an area it won't be seen....I mean it won't be seen by customers, but more importantly power equipment drivers. I suspect I will see a similar looking Joe in my near future. 

Nice score for u tho.

After all is said and done I will reveal my costs for the replacement.   Banana peels, invest in some banana peels!

Well, I've come across a stumbling block.  Customer Service said to contact the dealers from the website, I'm 2 dealers in and neither of them will/can order me a new dome. 

One of them gave me a contact for a KJ Inside Sales person who informed me to look on the web and find a dealer, even though I explained that Customer service sent me to a dealer, I went to the dealer and they gave me his number, so I called another dealer and got the same response, they wanted to sell me a cooking grate.

I'm getting further and further away from my house, but I guess I will keep trying.   As responsive and helpful as online Customer Service was, I sure thought this would be a lot easier.

42 minutes ago, BT3100FS said:

Looks like an interesting project, but sorry to hear about that you might be in an endless loop with the dome. 

Do do you know the back story of this KJ? Looks like it might be the work of a person scorned?

it is brand new, looks to be a shipping issue/return.  I don't believe malicious.  I picked it up at a warehouse with no documentation or anything 

Ace Hardware to the rescue!  They took my information, called Kamado Joe and all is right with the world and on order!

Ordered

New Dome (comes with gasket)

New handle

New Latch

New top vent

New Cast iron Grate

If someone has a cast iron grate, I would be VERY interested in buying one from you !

Please let me know.

On 3/6/2018 at 11:18 AM, LargeRedJoe said:

As mentioned it’s likely faster to just buy a Kick Ash Basket.  You could also look at using an after-market charcoal grate found at Lowe’s or Home Depot. 

OK, taking the advice here and am trying to cancel the charcoal grate from Ace, since there was a 2 week lead time, have to believe they can cancel that.

Well total pricing is in, do I wait and do a reveal once it is together or jinx it all and brag about my $xxx.xx KJ?

23 minutes ago, newb24 said:

OK, taking the advice here and am trying to cancel the charcoal grate from Ace, since there was a 2 week lead time, have to believe they can cancel that.

Well total pricing is in, do I wait and do a reveal once it is together or jinx it all and brag about my $xxx.xx KJ?

Stating a fact isn't bragging, except in the presentation potentially.  I'm curious to know just in case I need future repairs.  You took a risk and if it works out well then I'm happy for you at whatever price you got.  Might encourage others to be creative as well.

48 minutes ago, AZMDTed said:

Stating a fact isn't bragging, except in the presentation potentially.  I'm curious to know just in case I need future repairs.  You took a risk and if it works out well then I'm happy for you at whatever price you got.  Might encourage others to be creative as well.

Good point, guess we will see if I can get that band around the new dome and get it fired up!

I took a chance on the bottom not being damaged or cracked and thankfully the firebox parts were in tact as well.

All in cost wise, I'm sitting at $295.54

Ace said parts will be about 2 weeks out.   stay tuned.