Kamado Joe Classic II Repair Thread

newb24

So I took a chance on a completely crushed KJ, I was only hoping for an ash tool, charcoal grate, handle, top vent and new clasp.

Pretty much worked out in my favor.

For $12 bucks.

I got  

New Grate,

Ash Tool

4 feet

divide and conquer grate (no diverter plates though)

Air Hinge with clasps (in case mine is too bent)

the firebowl was missing, which I was secretly hoping for since I saw the lid for the firebow in the photo and was bummed no new handle in there.  But just for the grate and ashtool, I'm happy.  WIll put the divide and conquer on craigslist, super bummed no top vent.  Whoever returned this guy, stole all the good stuff!!

IMG_5147.jpg

54233297458__698C3C4A-CD61-48D7-954A-560150ABB795.JPG

• 1 month later...

So the final view of the KJ, fully assembled and ready for action.

The lid just came in last week so I took the time and put it all together and fired it up.  I have some learning to do on the temp. controls but I'm very pleased.  Really glad I got the $12 box of parts, as I used alot of the pieces to make this become reality.

I will say I was scared to death tightening the ring on the new lid, I was waiting for the crack sound to let me know I did it too tight or when I went to lift it, that it would just fall out.

I will say that new hinge design is amazing, and I love the latch feature as well.  

All in all I'm happy and ready to start using it.

I do have the pieces and parts for an air hinge if anyone wants to retrofit their KJ in the Cincinnati area.   DM me with details.

IMG_5362.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, all good things come to an end and then bigger things come!

I've sold my Deluth Forge Kamado and I sold my Kamado Classic II rehab project and am now the owner of a Big Joe!  I'm a bit sad, all I could afford was the older version, but oh well, I'm happy with it.

Whoop Whoop!IMG_5477.thumb.jpg.a67f45d74a78f3798acc221394aad936.jpgIMG_5478.thumb.jpg.431953e6375f14fbeae8ee5c46f32902.jpg

What's to be sad about? Our lids seal really well, and KJ supports their products!

Your fire ring will break, KJ will cover it... it took them 16 hours to generate an order when I reported my claim (at 2AM), although I'm still waiting on the parts. Until then, it just pops when you get it hot, as the gap in the ring expands. 

OK, if you're storing outside, the new top vent is a plus...

HAve fun,

Frank

On 5/15/2018 at 5:09 PM, fbov said:

What's to be sad about? Our lids seal really well, and KJ supports their products!

Your fire ring will break, KJ will cover it... it took them 16 hours to generate an order when I reported my claim (at 2AM), although I'm still waiting on the parts. Until then, it just pops when you get it hot, as the gap in the ring expands. 

OK, if you're storing outside, the new top vent is a plus...

HAve fun,

Frank

All good points, I just really liked the upgraded gasket, the locking clasp and the air hinge, very nice additions.   I'm just whining, super happy to have the big joe.

Now deciding on what accessories to buy first....grill expander or cast iron griddle

38 minutes ago, newb24 said:

All good points, I just really liked the upgraded gasket, the locking clasp and the air hinge, very nice additions.   I'm just whining, super happy to have the big joe.

Now deciding on what accessories to buy first....grill expander or cast iron griddle

I would recommend "grillgrates"