newb24

Kamado Joe Classic II Repair Thread

So I took a chance on a completely crushed KJ, I was only hoping for an ash tool, charcoal grate, handle, top vent and new clasp.

Pretty much worked out in my favor.

For $12 bucks.

I got  

New Grate,

Ash Tool

4 feet

divide and conquer grate (no diverter plates though)

Air Hinge with clasps (in case mine is too bent)

the firebowl was missing, which I was secretly hoping for since I saw the lid for the firebow in the photo and was bummed no new handle in there.  But just for the grate and ashtool, I'm happy.  WIll put the divide and conquer on craigslist, super bummed no top vent.  Whoever returned this guy, stole all the good stuff!!

IMG_5147.jpg

54233297458__698C3C4A-CD61-48D7-954A-560150ABB795.JPG

So the final view of the KJ, fully assembled and ready for action.

The lid just came in last week so I took the time and put it all together and fired it up.  I have some learning to do on the temp. controls but I'm very pleased.  Really glad I got the $12 box of parts, as I used alot of the pieces to make this become reality.

I will say I was scared to death tightening the ring on the new lid, I was waiting for the crack sound to let me know I did it too tight or when I went to lift it, that it would just fall out.

I will say that new hinge design is amazing, and I love the latch feature as well.  

All in all I'm happy and ready to start using it.

I do have the pieces and parts for an air hinge if anyone wants to retrofit their KJ in the Cincinnati area.   DM me with details.

IMG_5362.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

Well, all good things come to an end and then bigger things come!

I've sold my Deluth Forge Kamado and I sold my Kamado Classic II rehab project and am now the owner of a Big Joe!  I'm a bit sad, all I could afford was the older version, but oh well, I'm happy with it.

Whoop Whoop!IMG_5477.thumb.jpg.a67f45d74a78f3798acc221394aad936.jpgIMG_5478.thumb.jpg.431953e6375f14fbeae8ee5c46f32902.jpg

What's to be sad about? Our lids seal really well, and KJ supports their products!

Your fire ring will break, KJ will cover it... it took them 16 hours to generate an order when I reported my claim (at 2AM), although I'm still waiting on the parts. Until then, it just pops when you get it hot, as the gap in the ring expands. 

OK, if you're storing outside, the new top vent is a plus...

HAve fun,

Frank

On 5/15/2018 at 5:09 PM, fbov said:

What's to be sad about? Our lids seal really well, and KJ supports their products!

Your fire ring will break, KJ will cover it... it took them 16 hours to generate an order when I reported my claim (at 2AM), although I'm still waiting on the parts. Until then, it just pops when you get it hot, as the gap in the ring expands. 

OK, if you're storing outside, the new top vent is a plus...

HAve fun,

Frank

All good points, I just really liked the upgraded gasket, the locking clasp and the air hinge, very nice additions.   I'm just whining, super happy to have the big joe.

Now deciding on what accessories to buy first....grill expander or cast iron griddle

38 minutes ago, newb24 said:

All good points, I just really liked the upgraded gasket, the locking clasp and the air hinge, very nice additions.   I'm just whining, super happy to have the big joe.

Now deciding on what accessories to buy first....grill expander or cast iron griddle

I would recommend "grillgrates"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By odamaK
      So, I got my Joetisserie and began to look for a replacement motor in case after a year my motor failed. The joetisserie motor is .model RM-A101, and conveniently enough Onlyfire has the exact same model number motor that looks identical. Here is the link on Amazon for Canada, same item would be for the USA. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Replacement-Stainless-Rotisserie-Aftermarket/dp/B00X7RKFWG/ref=asc_df_B00X7RKFWG/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293002225578&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1174210165666426299&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000793&hvtargid=pla-502873780552&psc=1&th=1

I ordered by both, and the stainless is going back, it does not match for reasons below. 

Now this says it's rated for 20lbs and is 4 watts just like the Kamado Joe one except the kamado Joe says 50 lbs. which I find odd. 

Also the stainless steel one on Amazon is a RM-A201 and the bolt pattern does not .match the Kamado Joe plate if you have to swap plates. 

The description says it has anti backlash gears.

It's not stronger for those looking for more power but this will allow you to swap adaptor plates and have a backup motor in case your motor dies during a spin possibly and this will get you back up and ruunnig. It's cheap insurance.  

Can't upload photos from where I am but will try later. 

Oh the joetisserie cord is longer. 
    • By philpom
      Over a year ago I was cooking pizza and suffered a single crack in my fire bowl.  It grew over time and 1 turned in to 2.  Next thing you know the fire bowl was in 2 pieces kinda just sitting down in there.  I just kept cooking and could have left it that way for a very long time but I needed to do a good cleaning so the time was right.
      Before I go any further I want to let you know that I didn't need to do this, I have a new fire bowl in my garage right now.  I am a curious person though and I want to see how long I can go from one fire bowl.

This method should work on any ceramic kamado.
      Material:
      T304 lock wire small 1/4"-3/16' mason bit cutters pliers Pull the fire bowl out and clean it up.  Put it together, use a strap etc to hold it in place.
      Drill a pair of holes down the crack - 3, maybe 4 depending.  Push the wire through and twist it tight with the pliers while carefully setting the crack in place as you go.  BAM!  That's it.

All better.
      And now despair.  I discovered another hairline crack while doing this repair, this tells me that over time the fire bowl will slowly crumble.  We'll see how long it takes.  You can just see it in this photo, it leads off of crack #2 and is about a foot long at this point and it is all the way through.

• By KamadoCobra
      As a s follow-up to my first Grill dome restoration (see http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/10848-grill-dome-rebuild-project/?p=118416), I'm planning a second Grill Dome restoration later this year.
      One consideration will be to re-glaze instead of a re-paint. Unlike other Kamado's that use a glazed surface, Grill Dome's have a heat resistant paint surface.
      The challenge will be to locate a local potter equipped with a kiln large enough to fit the GD.
      If it proves successful, I may also choose to repaint my original rebuilt GD (see picture below) as it has since chipped again due to some issues with the refinishing process.

Just curious - for those of you who own glazed Kamados (i.e. Vision, BGE, KJoe), have you ever experienced any issues with the finish?
    • By John Setzler
      Here's my video on Kamado Joe Gasket replacement.  Even though this is a Kamado Joe demo, the process should be the same or very similar for any ceramic kamado grill...