This is my kinda thread! 

Most of you know I rehandle japanese wa handled knives on the side. Japanese knives tend to be harder steel allowing thinner grinds, man the nice ones slice.   I am going through a cleaver phase now, but mine is out being tuned up by my guy. I do it woodworking and he does my grinding.  

My newest gyuto is a Makoto 240 Damascus White steel. This thing is a steal at $130; it is widely agreed that once Makoto establishes his own shop this summer his prices will rise more online with his value. I am already planning to rehandle this with a walnut/blackwood handle. 

The photo of my knife bar has a number of borrowed blades from a friend and have since been returned. 

9945E162-02D2-4580-AE6A-32111C240C55.jpeg

20180303_TuoKnives.thumb.jpg.1d1e8e3a8ec48d67d545c0e1826d0fc5.jpg

My two new go-to kitchen knives.  

I have been researching knives again.  I wanted to find high quality inexpensive knives that I can use and recommend.  Tuo Cutlery to the rescue... $30 for this 8" chef and $22 for the 4" paring knife... 

4 minutes ago, Gunnergoose said:

I will have a handle made by you Ben love your work I just have to find the right gyuto first. 

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Ben S said:

This is my kinda thread! 

Most of you know I rehandle japanese wa handled knives on the side. Japanese knives tend to be harder steel allowing thinner grinds, man the nice ones slice.   I am going through a cleaver phase now, but mine is out being tuned up by my guy. I do it woodworking and he does my grinding.  

My newest gyuto is a Makoto 240 Damascus White steel. This thing is a steal at $130; it is widely agreed that once Makoto establishes his own shop this summer his prices will rise more online with his value. I am already planning to rehandle this with a walnut/blackwood handle. 

The photo of my knife bar has a number of borrowed blades from a friend and have since been returned. 

8 of those are not mine, but it is the most recent photo.  I currently have three blades out between a cross country and a friend teaching himself to do major modifications...

3 hours ago, Ben S said:

This is my kinda thread! 

I bet The Great Throwdini (a famous knife thrower from the circus) doesn't have that arsenal of knives.:ph34r:

@Gunnergoose those are very pretty handles.

Here is my collection. My new favorite is the one at the bottom. A large, tall petty knife. The back 1/2 of the belly is flat which works good for small chopping tasks. 

meager.thumb.jpg.2ed93b9a18e95358647a255cc5045e89.jpg

I was killing time at SLT. One of the guys tried to sell me knives, after I told him what I did and showed off some photos I picked up a small peeler.  Apparently I am now in the system as a pro who gets 10% off. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

@Gunnergoose those are very pretty handles.

Here is my collection. My new favorite is the one at the bottom. A large, tall petty knife. The back 1/2 of the belly is flat which works good for small chopping tasks. 

meager.thumb.jpg.2ed93b9a18e95358647a255cc5045e89.jpg

Thank you! You also have a very nice collection. 

I only have one good knife so far and that is an Anryu gyuto 270mm.  Keep going back and forth on the next purchase.  Leaning towards a vegetable cleaver, bunka or maybe a kiritsuke.  Will add a honesuki at some point as well.