21 minutes ago, 01lowbird said:

I later saw you said some of these are not yours but its still a  wildly impressive collection. I like that Nakiri, who made it?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/itryuhana17w.html

i have seen online rumors that these are chippy and will not be restocked. I emphasize the work rumor.  This has been returned to its owner now. 

20 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Used it for the first time last night and it was awesome.  It could use a quick run for sharpening, but had no issues cutting the flank steak or tomatoes.

Welcome to the rabbithole.  You now have a gateway knife, kinda like a Weber kettle. It works, but makes you ask what else is out there.  

On 4/8/2018 at 1:15 PM, Bgosnell151 said:

Thanks everyone.  The sock is off and the toe is headed towards the water.  I went ahead and took Bens suggestion and purchased this one:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshgy18.html

tojiro-itk-shirogami-gyuto-185mm-5.png

Awwwwe... proud of you, buddy! :)

4 hours ago, Gunnergoose said:

I picked this up about 2 weeks ago Makoto 210mm white #2. It has become my favorite knife already. Cuts like a dream.

D7F94DB9-4B66-464E-A916-D4146F3C6465.jpeg

I have the 240 Damascus, and love it. Apparently makoto is a real up and comer. 

Some awesome looking knives folks   :bravo:

After reading and looking at them on this great forum, I too tripped down the rabbit hole a little while ago with this  Maruyoshi Gyuto 180mm:

JK1.thumb.jpg.ab4fc3d3af80e7343c4c3f0e990b24a9.jpgJK2.thumb.jpg.ffa68a1731644095ea169bca73b58c74.jpg

I'm not sure where it fits in the scheme of things as far as quality etc but it is super sharp and I have thoroughly  enjoyed using it in the short time that I have had it.

(Nice work on the new emojis  as well @admin )    :good:

Now that everyone is in the rabbit hole, the next thing is to learn how to sharpen your own knives.  Manual stones only, not by machine.  Invest in a sharpening jig, it will make the learning curve easier and practice on a cheaper knife.  Once you get the hand of it, you will love how sharp you can keep your knives and there is a great satisfaction when you bring a blade to hair popping sharpness.

6 hours ago, Benm3 said:

Now that everyone is in the rabbit hole, the next thing is to learn how to sharpen your own knives.  Manual stones only, not by machine.  Invest in a sharpening jig, it will make the learning curve easier and practice on a cheaper knife.  Once you get the hand of it, you will love how sharp you can keep your knives and there is a great satisfaction when you bring a blade to hair popping sharpness.

Any recommendations on a starting kit or essentials?