The family (and me too !) is still enjoying the "Tojiro Family" I bought almost a year ago. Each of the 4 cooks in the family has settled into their favorite knife/style.   No regrets on these purchases.  

On 3/6/2018 at 9:57 PM, Jsk0703 said:

Hmm, I'm leaning towards the Moritaka AS tall nakiri instead of a vegetable cleaver.  The size is about the same but the nakiri is thinner.  Just not sure if I want to pay that much.  

I have seen the choil shot, on CKTG for the Moritaka. They are not the thinnest nakiri, as long as you know that. Moritaka does a great job with the AS heat treat!  Have you looked at a CCK 1303? 

12 hours ago, Ben S said:

I have seen the choil shot, on CKTG for the Moritaka. They are not the thinnest nakiri, as long as you know that. Moritaka does a great job with the AS heat treat!  Have you looked at a CCK 1303? 

I've looked at at them all at this point.  If money was no object I'd just get one of everything.  Lol 

Being a home cook I'm sure any will suffice.  The only thing holding me back on the Moritaka is that it's flat.  I would have issue with the blade digging into the cutting board.  Would prefer if it had the curved nakiri tip. 

2 hours ago, Jsk0703 said:

I've looked at at them all at this point.  If money was no object I'd just get one of everything.  Lol 

Being a home cook I'm sure any will suffice.  The only thing holding me back on the Moritaka is that it's flat.  I would have issue with the blade digging into the cutting board.  Would prefer if it had the curved nakiri tip. 

Just to gum up your thought process. Makoto is coming out with a limited release of a tall nakiri on CKTG. If it is anything like his 240 gyuto, that I am in love with, I expect it to be AWESOME. 

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about knives.  I have a Henkel that I like well enough, but would like an all purpose knive that is fun to use.  

1. What price point should I be looking (this will decide if I look or not)?

2. What specifics should I look for.

example, feedback on this knife:

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/japanese-traditional-style-knives/products/jck-natures-inazuma-series-wa-petty-150mm

10 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about knives.  I have a Henkel that I like well enough, but would like an all purpose knive that is fun to use.  

1. What price point should I be looking (this will decide if I look or not)?

2. What specifics should I look for.

example, feedback on this knife:

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/japanese-traditional-style-knives/products/jck-natures-inazuma-series-wa-petty-150mm

There is so much more to this but I will give it a go.  

J-knives tend to be harder, therefore allowing lower angles and thin thin steel behind the edge.     Do not use these super thin blades on things like squash with hard skins/shells. 

For thin blades that are easy to sharpen with a wa handle try here for $31. 

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshhasa16.html

or

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshgy18.html $50. 

These blades are reactive and will rust.  Wash and dry them when done.  They will also sharpen up supper easy.  I prefer the wa handle with a forward balance point.  

It is worth disclosing that CKTG gives me forum space to advertise my handles, that would not change my suggestion. 

That knife that you listed is a 150mm petty which is considered a utility knife.  It is Damascus steel, therefor stainless so rust and patina will not be a fsctor....

it will not hold an edge as long as carbon steels but still ok quality.  

Getting into this i his I would suggest a good gyuto knife to start somewhere in the 210mm range.  Just remember that you will need to sharpen this so fsctor that as you dive deep down the rabbit hole!!

As Bosceaux said, a 210mm ish gyuto is probably as good all around knife as you can get. I have probably 10 good Japanese knives, and 90% of the time, that’s what I reach for. What do you spend? That’s entirely up to you, plus you need to decide what material suits you. There are several, but I’ll just say stainless or non stainless. If you want a maintenance free type, go with stainless. If you’re ok with keeping your knife clean, even as you use it, go carbon, or somewhere in between. The other side of this coin is the maintenance free doesn’t get as sharp, nor hold an edge as long, the non stainless are better at this. 

There are some lasers that, as stated should be used for lighter work, I wouldn’t recommend these for a first knife. If you’re willing to spend $150-$200, you can get a truly all around workhorse that will be different from anything you’ve used. For less money, you’ll get excellent knives that will serve you well for years. 

Regardless of what knifeyou get, please get a decent cutting board, wood of some kind is preferable. If you go down this hole, you’ll also need to learn to sharpen, or locate someone who does. A sharp cheaper knifeis better than a dull good one. 

On 3/21/2018 at 12:19 AM, Ben S said:

There is so much more to this but I will give it a go.  

J-knives tend to be harder, therefore allowing lower angles and thin thin steel behind the edge.     Do not use these super thin blades on things like squash with hard skins/shells. 

For thin blades that are easy to sharpen with a wa handle try here for $31. 

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshhasa16.html

or

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshgy18.html $50. 

These blades are reactive and will rust.  Wash and dry them when done.  They will also sharpen up supper easy.  I prefer the wa handle with a forward balance point.  

It is worth disclosing that CKTG gives me forum space to advertise my handles, that would not change my suggestion. 

Thanks everyone.  The sock is off and the toe is headed towards the water.  I went ahead and took Bens suggestion and purchased this one:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshgy18.html

tojiro-itk-shirogami-gyuto-185mm-5.png

On 4/8/2018 at 3:15 PM, Bgosnell151 said:

Thanks everyone.  The sock is off and the toe is headed towards the water.  I went ahead and took Bens suggestion and purchased this one:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshgy18.html

tojiro-itk-shirogami-gyuto-185mm-5.png

Very nice. Will make a good all around knife. 

On 3/3/2018 at 2:36 PM, ckreef said:

@Gunnergoose those are very pretty handles.

Here is my collection. My new favorite is the one at the bottom. A large, tall petty knife. The back 1/2 of the belly is flat which works good for small chopping tasks. 

meager.thumb.jpg.2ed93b9a18e95358647a255cc5045e89.jpg

I spy Miyabi, my favorite "commerical" brand of knives.  Who made the Yanagiba, at least I believe its a Yanagiba.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:12 AM, Ben S said:

This is my kinda thread! 

Most of you know I rehandle japanese wa handled knives on the side. Japanese knives tend to be harder steel allowing thinner grinds, man the nice ones slice.   I am going through a cleaver phase now, but mine is out being tuned up by my guy. I do it woodworking and he does my grinding.  

My newest gyuto is a Makoto 240 Damascus White steel. This thing is a steal at $130; it is widely agreed that once Makoto establishes his own shop this summer his prices will rise more online with his value. I am already planning to rehandle this with a walnut/blackwood handle. 

The photo of my knife bar has a number of borrowed blades from a friend and have since been returned. 

9945E162-02D2-4580-AE6A-32111C240C55.jpeg

I later saw you said some of these are not yours but its still a  wildly impressive collection. I like that Nakiri, who made it?