New knives

7 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Not looking forward to having to choose which ones. Too many great looking blocks. Can’t wait to have my mini mag bar mosaic mirrored on the other side of my cabinets flanking the sink.

Me too. 

Here is the current batch of blocks partially completed. I have to finish kk’s knife handles, then I will get back to the blocks. 

30 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

I tell you @KismetKamado the first time a young man comes to your house to pick up your daughter for a date.  You have to show him the wall and take a picture of the look on his face, I'll bet it will be priceless.

Thanks for the advice.... I love it!

It’s going to be even better once we get the “his” side done of the “his and hers” mini mag bar mosaic... Then it should be really jaw dropping.  Forget about a shotgun in the corner....  :)

Will have to make sure the biggest and baddest blades are up for that momentous occasion. And I’ll definitely be taking a picture. Lol. 

I am thinking of getting a high carbon steel knife.  I currently have a vg10 Japanese chef' knife that I love, but I am always curious if there is something better.  I did a little research ,and I am thinking white steel #1.  Any advice would be appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Pigfqr said:

I am thinking of getting a high carbon steel knife.  I currently have a vg10 Japanese chef' knife that I love, but I am always curious if there is something better.  I did a little research ,and I am thinking white steel #1.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Vg10 can be hit or miss depending on who’s doing the heat treatment.  Poor heat treatment can lead to more difficult sharpening and poor edge retention. 

White steel is generally easy heat treat,  to sharpen and had decent edge retention, especially for a home user. 

I’m not a huge fan of the white steel. I find that it takes a wicked edge but I don’t like the patina that forms so quickly.  

I have gone towards the konosuke line and his knives are low maintenance.  

Not sure if they were in your wheel house but the konosuke HD2 240mm is my solid laser.  I’m waiting for a blue #2 Fujiyama and those will be my only two knives eventually.  I also have a masamoto KS in white steel and if it even looks at something it starts to stain.  So that is kept clean in the cupboard.  

5 hours ago, Ben S said:

Which ones? 

I got the Tojiro Shirogami nakiri and yanagi, and a Yoshimitsu Fugen petty. I had to spend about 90 seconds making the nakiri totally flat bottomed and I sharpened and stropped everything. All three seem to be awesome for the money and I can confirm I liked the carbon steel and the different styles before making a big commitment.

14 minutes ago, gotzero said:

I got the Tojiro Shirogami nakiri and yanagi, and a Yoshimitsu Fugen petty. I had to spend about 90 seconds making the nakiri totally flat bottomed and I sharpened and stropped everything. All three seem to be awesome for the money and I can confirm I liked the carbon steel and the different styles before making a big commitment.

I agree, performance to capital those are great knives.   I never used the Yang, I sold mine.  After getting into cleavers, I sold my Nakiri to @KismetKamado. Welcome to the rabbit hole.  I now have a buddy who regrinds cheap knives for me in trade for handles I make.  I would swear he adds hundreds of dollars in performance to these knives. 

Without breaking the bank Yaxell makes some pretty decent production knives with good steel, and a good warranty. They’ve been in business since the 1930s.

BD1N is an American stainless steel Yaxell is using to Manufacture of the Dragon line of knives. It’s making a pretty good impression with more people than just me with it’s  stain resistance, 63 Rockwell hardness, ease of sharpening, and edge retention.

If you’re looking for something a little more showy,  Yaxell also makes the Enso line, and their Super Gou line which will give you a layered steel with both VG10 cores for their less expensive blades and SG2 for their higher end knives.  SG2 is not as popular a steel, but is in my opinion a much better steal the VG 10.

My biggest problem with knives, is there are so many beautiful options out there, and just not enough time.

Good luck!

Edited by Never L8 4 chow

4 hours ago, Ben S said:

I agree, performance to capital those are great knives.   I never used the Yang, I sold mine.  After getting into cleavers, I sold my Nakiri to @KismetKamado. Welcome to the rabbit hole.  I now have a buddy who regrinds cheap knives for me in trade for handles I make.  I would swear he adds hundreds of dollars in performance to these knives. 

I have some experience shaping tooling for my lathe which seems like it will apply easily enough to tinkering with kitchen knives if I want to. So far, all I wanted to do is make the nakiri knife sit flat. For a small amount of money I learned I love the style.

In the kitchen we have a few very nice stainless Shun knives, a couple of Dalstrong knives from an Amazon sale, and a Wusthof scalloped knife. Those will likely remain the weekday rushed dinner creators. 

Five seconds of using the hollow center knife and I "get it". I have a Miltner Adams MA-6 pocket knife that uses a similar grind and sharpening it is a dream. 

I have way too many really nice pocket knives, and I am surprised to read about a lot of steel assessments from kitchens. For instance, I have several Spyderco VG-10 and ZDP-189 knives, and I have never had a chip on VG-10 after seriously beating on them, and never had any significant rust on ZDP-189 even with daily carry in summers.