Sign in to follow this  
Marty

WOK COKING ON THE BIG GREEN EGG

i would have added to the original post but can not. This reminds me of watching people cooking on huge woks in take out places.with a raging gas fire below.They also got flash fires in their woks because of the extreme heat.

Since I have never done this kind of cooking.Why? Do you think it is too hot or is the kamado in danger of being cracked?  I used to stand watching 6 foot directly behind them cooking in the take out places and they left the flames full on and got flash fires in the wok. Only when they finished cooking did they use their knee to lower the flame. But it did seem to me a bit too hot when the oil  instantly vaporized and caught on fire. As I said , know nothing about this style of cooking. I have read that the wok has to be very hot to get Wok Hei.

For my recent Pollo Saltado wok cook, I did most of it with the dome open, with the bottom vents full open.  I only closed the dome intermittently to help add a little smoke to the chicken.

By the way; I really enjoyed the process of seasoning the wok and cooking that first dish.  It tasted awesome and I can't wait to try something else!  I'm thinking bulgogi next!  Here is my first wok cook in pictures: 

The cook looked a little hot to meat. Meat seemed in the wok for a long time given the temp. The green beans had some scorching.

I know because I've done it this way and the dark bitter scorched bits of food seemed to overpower the total flavor.

I end up doing a dance with the wok on and off the coals to get a happy medium with a great high temp sear. The wok cooks

are a great way to expand the dinner lineup.

On 3/6/2018 at 9:49 PM, Smoke and Awe said:

Yes, always a good idea when you're cooking with an open dome.  I do that when I make paella, etc.

I    made paella on the kamado and went by a guide on the naked whiz that said that the coals should be all red. On that particular cook I have no doubt that it was WAY too hot.  When I added the liquid for the rice  all of it boiled instantly and gave off a cloud of fog.. It came out great but I ended up dumping a lot more liquid in probably double. That cook was beyond my comfort zone. Some how I have not got around to doing it again. With that cook I do not have any doubt that the bottom vent should have been closed. the longer it cooked the hotter it got. But as I said it came out awesome

On 3/7/2018 at 9:27 PM, BBQMako said:

The cook looked a little hot to meat. Meat seemed in the wok for a long time given the temp. The green beans had some scorching.

I know because I've done it this way and the dark bitter scorched bits of food seemed to overpower the total flavor.

I end up doing a dance with the wok on and off the coals to get a happy medium with a great high temp sear. The wok cooks

are a great way to expand the dinner lineup.

Thanks for the pointers. I will go back and look for the scorching. My instinct said that it was too hot when the oil vaporized and caught fire..I have blackened a steak and as you say bitter, my motto became brown and crusty not burned.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By John Setzler
      4 cups cauliflower rice (make from whole cauliflower in food processor)
      8 oz diced chicken breast (or your favorite meat/protein) tossed in 1 tsp oil
      1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
      1 cup diced carrots
      1 cup diced onion
      2 cloves minced garlic
      1 tablespoon sesame oil
      2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
      2 beaten eggs
      Preheat your Kamado Joe to about 400 degrees in the dome.  Place the cast iron wok on the lower position with the accessory rack and let the wok preheat with the grill.
      Brown the chicken in the wok, remove and set aside.   Add the sesame oil and saute the onions and the carrots until the carrots soften, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and continue stirring for about one minute.  Add the cauliflower rice and stir constantly for 5-6 minutes.  Add the peas and stir for another minute or two.  Add the chicken back to the wok and mix completely.  Push the mixture to the back of the wok and add the beaten eggs.   Cook the eggs and mix with the rice.  Add the soy sauce and stir for another minute or two.  Remove from the wok and serve hot!
      Enjoy!

• By Kamado Jimi
      Using a Wok on a Kamado is fast & furious! If done right, you'll come out with a crisp & tasty plate. Anyone else cooking on a Wok?  

• By Bob Fletcher
      Per a previous post, I first used my new KJ wok for a beef stir on the KJ BJ and it was awesome.  Shortly after ordering the wok, I decided I needed a dome lid, so I order the Joyce Chen from Amazon ($15).  It's a little smaller than this wok would call for but works, and that wok holds such a massive amount of food, I don't think volume will be a problem.  Last night the Boss grabbed the wok and the lid and cooked some pop corn on the kitchen stove (gas).  The Boss makes the best pop corn anyhow and has been using an aluminum non-stick wok (with lid - of course) for years.  So, I can't say this pop corn taste any better,  but it was every bit as good as her other poppings, and this wok being so much larger, she didn't have to dump some during the pop.  I already know this wok won't spend much time on the shelf!
    • By Bob Fletcher
      Just got my Kamado Joe cast iron wok and wanted to give it a try.  Wife had two stainless steel bowls of the same size (13.5" x 4.5"), so I nabbed one and drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in the bottom.  Decided it sat a little too low for the purpose of wok cooking, so I put a couple of concrete bricks in the bottom of the Joe.  The pan full of coals then sat nice and close the the x-rack.  First cook went amazingly well - with two starter cubes it was up to 450 deg (dome) within about 30 minutes.  A set the wok in the center ring of the x-rack and it was smokin' hot in just a few minutes.  

I can see the SS bowl working very well for wok cooking or small center grill cooks.  Will have to give it a try, when I get my Big Joetisserie, but I am guessing with coals all around the outside of the bowl, it should work great for rotisserie or other indirect cooks also.

• By bbqboss84601
      This is a slow roasted piece of boneless lamb leg in a roasting rack in the Kamado Joe cast iron wok. The wok is filled with water till almost touching the roast. Morita chilies, fresh thyme, marjoram, lots of sea salt, garlic, pinch of cumin, 1 1/2 cups of rice, and a couple spoons of homemade chili oil are added to the water as well as covering the roast with this conception. The temp of the Kamado is set to 225 and the wok is placed indirectly over heat deflectors on the x rack very loosely covered in foil for the first seven hours. Left to cook 14 hours, this lamb is nothing short of amazing. The fat cap is then peeled off after being cooked and slow cooked in a cast iron pan until ultra crispy and made into tacos. The liquid becomes nothing short of goodness with lamb drippings. No money shots here, too much going on so I hope you get to try this sometime. Thanks for looking.