Digital thermometer choices

8 hours ago, mike echo said:

Thermoworks Smoke. No gateway. Use in conjunction with Flame Boss 100 or by itself. No need to share on networks. No need to compile data. No need to have an app on my phone for it. Ruggedly built. Withstands water well.

Only negative I have is the button on the receiver is just a bit too sensitive. I only notice that due to the way I store it rolled up like a knife storage roll. TW does offer a nice storage box for it.

Good idea to be on their newsletter list as they do offer discounts time to time on the Smoke-got mine 20% off, site wide sale last spring. They give away MK4 temp probes once a month. Seems like a smart way to sway people like me-never win give aways- to try for awhile then flat out buy an MK4 if it becomes a must have item.

They sell open box stuff too at some discounts some snap at. I look for deep discounts on open box stuff. That's a me thing.

I have a Maverick 732 standby/extra. Works good but in my opinion not even close to the Smoke in quality. I see a lot of competition people use 732/3s but I figure it's a case of them getting them for some reason at a competition (promo for participants)  and they probably cheaply replace them when they wear out.

M

I'm not sure how much the thermoworks storage box costs but I bought a Pelican brand dry box to store mine in for somewhere around $20. It's air and watertight as well as crush proof. It doubles as a dry box for my phone, wallet and such when I'm kayaking or camping, 

I have a Fireboard that I love.

Kismet, did you get the Smoke after your Fireboard? How do you find they compare?

I am setting up my blower with the FB this weekend. :)

On 3/11/2018 at 10:46 AM, KismetKamado said:

I would also like to add the Theroworks Smoke is simple to program. I had a maverick that was not very intuitive at all before the smoke. If you are considering a controller in the future you may want to peek at the Fireboard as well.   

1 hour ago, MonsterDuckMadness said:

Kismet, did you get the Smoke after your Fireboard? How do you find they compare?

I am setting up my blower with the FB this weekend. :)

I got the Smoke before the Fireboard. I would have skipped the Smoke if it was the other way around. The Smoke replaced a Maverick which I wasn’t smart enough to run and had a hard time  reading the display. 

Which blower did you go with?

2 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

I got the Smoke before the Fireboard. I would have skipped the Smoke if it was the other way around. The Smoke replaced a Maverick which I wasn’t smart enough to run and had a hard time  reading the display. 

Which blower did you go with?

Hi Kismet! Thanks!

I don't believe you about the not being smart enough. I do believe you about the display though!

I got the one from FireBoard, cause they cover it with a warranty, and because their customer service was so excellent. It turns out that they don't make it. But they 1) admit they don't make it, 2) recommend it quite highly, 3) say nice things about the manufacturer, 4) make a point of telling customers that it is not the only option, and they are sure lots of other blowers will work well too, and 5) charge the same amount as the actual manufacturer and not more... All of which made me feel even better about it as a choice, and about their advice in general.

Very excited about cooking with it this weekend!

3 hours ago, MonsterDuckMadness said:

I got the one from FireBoard, cause they cover it with a warranty, and because their customer service was so excellent. 

Very excited about cooking with it this weekend!

Very interested to hear what you have to say about it. There was a method to my madness in my decision on the blower I went with when I got mine several months ago - for KK compatibility.  If that ship ever comes in, I want to be prepared. Lol. 

I started out with some cheap wireless meat and grill thermometer from Lowe's that was a waste of a $20 bill. Got a Maverick which was ok for what it was but I needed more so I went with the Fireboard and couldn't be happier with it. Just added the fan drive, because I like gadgets. It seems to work pretty well but haven't tried it on a long slow cook yet. I'm sure it's gonna be real nice to be able to see and control temps when away from home this summer .

Javilin $26.00 can't beat for the price. I found on Amazon several years ago. 4 seconds to set temp. Guaranteed to be accurate .9 of 1 degree. Broke my first one sent me another one fast .Great product can take anywhere. Use to check oil temps at church Fish Fry. Just a great product for the money. Grae gifts also

On 3/17/2018 at 5:23 AM, Timtogrill said:

I started out with some cheap wireless meat and grill thermometer from Lowe's that was a waste of a $20 bill. Got a Maverick which was ok for what it was but I needed more so I went with the Fireboard and couldn't be happier with it. Just added the fan drive, because I like gadgets. It seems to work pretty well but haven't tried it on a long slow cook yet. I'm sure it's gonna be real nice to be able to see and control temps when away from home this summer .

Thats awesome!

Which blower did you get?

23 hours ago, ld7009 said:

Javilin $26.00 can't beat for the price. I found on Amazon several years ago. 4 seconds to set temp. Guaranteed to be accurate .9 of 1 degree. Broke my first one sent me another one fast .Great product can take anywhere. Use to check oil temps at church Fish Fry. Just a great product for the money. Grae gifts also

You mean their instant read thermometer, correct?

I used a Therma pen and loved it for years until it quit turning on and the replacement is not reliable either. Since then The Thermo Pop has been just as good for my use and dependable for a lot less. The Smoke would also be good

On 3/16/2018 at 11:27 AM, KismetKamado said:

I got mine several months ago - for KK compatibility.  If that ship ever comes in, I want to be prepared. Lol. 

I totally understand, and support your vision - even though I will be insanely jealous when of you and your ship, when that happens!   

How has the blowin' been goin? Any new thoughts?

7 minutes ago, MonsterDuckMadness said:

I totally understand, and support your vision - even though I will be insanely jealous when of you and your ship, when that happens!   

How has the blowin' been goin? Any new thoughts?

Eh.... haven’t used it again, yet. With the more favorable weather on the horizon, I will be soon. My Vision and Big Joe are not very accessible this time of year. And I don’t like to cook if I might not get a chance to clean it up and cover it up the next day...  Been doing most everything on the Akorn Jr over the winter. I did get the adapter for the jr, but haven’t put it to use yet. So I guess I don’t have an excuse afterall. Lol. 

How did your cook go?