fotoman

Nine pound Super Trimmed Brisket

That looks awesome!  I've got an 8.5 pounder going on tonight that i'm hoping to have done and be able to put in the faux cambro (cooler!) at 6:30 tomorrow morning for a work pot luck lunch.

I'm aiming to put it on a 7pm @225° (smartfire ATC) for 11hrs and hoping not to have to get up in the middle of the night to touch it at all! I need my beauty sleep!

I hope it looks half as good when it's finished!!

15 hours ago, PeterRegan said:

That looks awesome!  I've got an 8.5 pounder going on tonight that i'm hoping to have done and be able to put in the faux cambro (cooler!) at 6:30 tomorrow morning for a work pot luck lunch.

I'm aiming to put it on a 7pm @225° (smartfire ATC) for 11hrs and hoping not to have to get up in the middle of the night to touch it at all! I need my beauty sleep!

I hope it looks half as good when it's finished!!

Urg, I love getting up at 6am to take other people's lunch off the BBQ lol!

Had some teething issues last night as I left the lid open for too long when lighting and overshot the temp by 50 degrees, took about two hours to get it to stabilize down where I wanted it. After that it was smooth sailing although I didn't realize quite how much these little guys shrink!  I hope there's a lot of coleslaw!!

IMG_20180316_063300461.jpg

On 3/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, TKOBBQ said:

Looks good, glad to hear that it turned out well.  Depending on the grind of pepper and type of salt used it can vary the seasoning.  I've used the following from BluDawg for years as my standard:

Mix your Rub

1 part kosher salt

4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight) apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Well, that's probably where I missed the boat, I put in an equal amount of ground pepper, quarter cup to quarter cup.  Thanks for the tip.

On 3/11/2018 at 4:52 AM, mliebs said:

I've been wanting to try a brisket but haven't gotten the confidence yet.  That looks like it turned out perfectly.

Just wade right into it.  Nothing difficult about it plus there's plenty of help here.  I'd start with a trimmed brisket for sure, then troll for a rub to your liking.  I use a Digi-Q fan and temperature controller to keep the temp at 225º F which allows me to sleep through the night.

25 minutes ago, tsh0ck said:

Wishing I had more than a wife and kiddo to feed so that I could justify a brisket cook!

Slice, vacuum seal and freeze.  Reheat in a pot of boiling water for 15-20 min (Depending on how much is in the bag).  Makes for awesome dinners when you cant fire up the grill and you still get credit for cooking dinner. ;-)

17 minutes ago, UTVol said:

Slice, vacuum seal and freeze.  Reheat in a pot of boiling water for 15-20 min (Depending on how much is in the bag).  Makes for awesome dinners when you cant fire up the grill and you still get credit for cooking dinner. ;-)

well, you've given me an excuse to get a vacuum sealer ... so there's the first step!