OldKingCharcoal

What's the Secret to Cooking a Pizza on the Akorn?

On 3/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, retfr8flyr said:

Try raising your pizza stone about 2 inches above the grill, use some fire brick or something. I use some copper plumbing pieces in mine. The added height makes the bottom cook a little slower and the top cook a little faster. This setup works for me to have the pizza come out correctly. I use this method in both my BJ and my Akorn

Do you have a phto of that set up...I'm not quite seein' it.

I don't have any pics but I use these https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-Copper-Cup-x-Cup-Coupling-with-Stop-C600/100345530 I put the diffuser plate on the main grate and then put 1 of these on each ear. I then put my pizza stone on top of the pieces. Works well for me and it's hard to find fire brick, so I just use these. They raise it just enough so that everything comes out evenly cooked. I use them on my Akorn and my Big Joe setup.

Why do you put the smokin' stone on the main cooking grid? Just so you'll have a stable platform for the copper coupling? Or does raising the diffuser up  and closer to the pizza stone help in some way?

On the last pizza I cooked I made the mistake of putting a round pizza pan on the lower grate as a diffuser and my cast iron round for the pizza cook.   It was a great pizza but when things cooled down and I went to retrieve the aluminum pizza pan I used as a diffuser, there was only half of it left, I'll find the molten pieces when I clean the ash pan I'm sure.   

Lesson learn, no aluminum pans as a diffuser on a high temp cook.     

It can help to have an air gap in between two stones as well. It gives a bit more time to cook before the bottom burns. If I am out of rice flour, I use parchment paper under the pizza. It slides easily onto the stone. And if you use a piece of parchment paper slightly larger than the pizza, you can pull it out when the pizza is almost done, and let the bottom brown a little.  I use this stone and I love it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Perfect-Pizza-Grilling-Stone/dp/B00DIC2SA2/ref=pd_yo_rr_rp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=40MAT0738NEEJ3J60R9N

Also, +1 on rasing the stone up off the main grate.