Sign in to follow this  
paulleve

Akorn 3 Year Review

Strange indeed since there's nothing on a true Weber Stephen made kettle to rust unless the porcelain enamel gets chipped, and even then it should take years to rust through.

My 58 year old kettle only shows a little rust at the welds and is still solid as a rock. The wood handle did go south though and has been replaced.

IMGP9279.JPG

I am on year 7 with my Akorn, and must admit it is on it's last legs.  It's been used hard, kept outside under cover, and covered by a Chargriller cover, but the salt air and use have finally caught up with us.  It's like watching an old friend wear down over the years.  We share many memories and went through the kamado learning curve together.

Don't misread me, it's a great kooker and I'm in the process of deciding on another one, a ceramic Akorn, or a Vision from Sams Club. 

Here is a list of our war wounds:  bottom tray rusted through (my fault for not having the cover on correctly all the time), the "lips" of lower bowl and ash pan have both rusted out so it is not possible to replace the gaskets and get an air tight seal. Rust is starting to climb up the sides of the lower bowl,  Legs are getting pretty thin in some spots and expect a total failure any time now on one of them.

I'm one of the original purchasers of the Akorn back when they first came out, one with only 2 tabs inside to support any diffuser and the tin top vent cap,  and several changes have taken place to improve on them.  Having said that, I still feel it is one of the finest kamados on the market at this price point and have nothing but good things to say about Chargriller, this forum, John and all his ideas, and the great folks who love to cook in non traditional  ways and are willing to share them with us all.

I understand about living in Florida, l'm from south Louisiana about 20 miles from the gulf. I had a stainless gases that has rust on the outside. Always left grills in garage so they would last. 

I believe this will be my last spring with the Akorn as well... I'll prolly clean it up and deal with the rust then give it to my dad... I'll be shopping for a ceramic too and feel like I should give the ceramic Akorn a good hard look as well as my original steel one performed.

Nice thread. Useful for owner and potential owners alike.

I am on Year 4 and I continue to be impressed by my Akorn. North Texas is a decent home climate and I keep the Akorn covered and under a patio roof when not in use. When I first purchased the Akorn I buttoned it up with nomex and have nary a lick of problems maintaining temps.  I did replace the CI grate with a behemoth from Michael's Custom.....love that thing. It will likely out live me, let alone the grill.  Only thing I have done to my Akorn was to replace the bottom rack last  Fall. t was getting rusty so I put in an order with CG. Replacement was inexpensive and shipped promptly. Good for another 4 years, I suspect.

No complaints from me.

I agree with No Complaints about my Akorn.  It's a great unit, I bought it with the intention of learning about kamado cooking and if it was for me, without having to take out a second mortgage and it did it's job to perfection.  I sing nothing but it's praise and will miss her dearly.  I never expected to get a 7 year run out of this grill, that has never happened before, so it's twice as nice as any gasser/coaler I owned prior to this.  

I roast, I grill, I bake and I smoke all on one grill, my dear Akorn !!!!!  Life is Good.

Well, I wasn't clueless when I got into Kamados, but I also didn't have $1500 to spare.  So started at the low end with a Akorn and have been continually impressed for 2 years.  It's a heck of a thing to have on your deck and with small additions it will perform at the top of the game. 2 years, no rust, totally solid out on my deck with just a cover.

Curious to see how mine will hold up, lots of rain, snow and humidity here.  Use a cover and have it under a canopy in the summer.  

If I got 3 yrs I would be fine though,. Over a year old now and looks great so we shall see.       

I'm about two months away from year three with mine and it's holding up really well considering I haven't taken as good care of it as I should have. The only rust I have is a small patch where the ashpan latches to to main body. It's nothing serious at the moment and could likely be resolved, but I'm not that concerned about it. 

The rust is likely my fault for not covering the grill after late night cooks and it getting rained on, I can't count how many times I've had an ash pan full of water due to that. The rust is still a small area though and is more less superficial, for now. Had I taken better care of the Akorn I likely wouldn't have any rust 3 years in. 

I feel like I can get another 3+ years out of it as long as I take better care of it, which I will. I recently moved and can now easily roll it underneath a covered deck whenever I need. At the moment it has a rack of spare ribs on it that I put on at around 1pm and it has held steady at the 240-245 range since then. I'm really happy with this 3 year old Akorn and when it's on its last legs it's gonna be hard to decide whether to just buy another or go ceramic. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, gemstatejake said:

I remember giving the same advice regarding the Akorn some years ago so I'll say it again: if you live in a wet, humid, damp area I'd say the Akorn may not be the best choice. Unless maybe you can wheel it in and out of a garage or shed or something every time.

This is my problem.  I live in a damp, humid climate.  I do not have a garage, so the Akorn sits by the pool in the elements.  I do cover it, but have to wait until it cools down of course.  I use it four or more times a week.  I have gone through 4 Akorns in 7 years, with them typically rusting out just above the ash pan.  What do you think would be a better choice than the Akron, in terms of durability?

Just out of curiosity, since the rust issue seems to happen with water building up between the ash pan and the body, would getting into the habit of removing the ash pan after a cook and maybe putting it under the lid or getting it in the house help alleviate the issue?

2 hours ago, Natron44 said:

Just out of curiosity, since the rust issue seems to happen with water building up between the ash pan and the body, would getting into the habit of removing the ash pan after a cook and maybe putting it under the lid or getting it in the house help alleviate the issue?

I think it would depend on the climate you live in. If you live in a salty climate, I can't see anything good about removing the ash pan and inviting that inside the grill. Living in Kentucky we have relatively humid weather here but no salt content. I never notice water in the ash pan due to condensation and the humidity, it's only happening when it rains and the grill is left uncovered. So it's basically my fault, even though at nearly three years in I still have minimal rust.