• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  

Akorn 3 Year Review

Strange indeed since there's nothing on a true Weber Stephen made kettle to rust unless the porcelain enamel gets chipped, and even then it should take years to rust through.

My 58 year old kettle only shows a little rust at the welds and is still solid as a rock. The wood handle did go south though and has been replaced.

I am on year 7 with my Akorn, and must admit it is on it's last legs.  It's been used hard, kept outside under cover, and covered by a Chargriller cover, but the salt air and use have finally caught up with us.  It's like watching an old friend wear down over the years.  We share many memories and went through the kamado learning curve together.

Don't misread me, it's a great kooker and I'm in the process of deciding on another one, a ceramic Akorn, or a Vision from Sams Club. 

Here is a list of our war wounds:  bottom tray rusted through (my fault for not having the cover on correctly all the time), the "lips" of lower bowl and ash pan have both rusted out so it is not possible to replace the gaskets and get an air tight seal. Rust is starting to climb up the sides of the lower bowl,  Legs are getting pretty thin in some spots and expect a total failure any time now on one of them.

I'm one of the original purchasers of the Akorn back when they first came out, one with only 2 tabs inside to support any diffuser and the tin top vent cap,  and several changes have taken place to improve on them.  Having said that, I still feel it is one of the finest kamados on the market at this price point and have nothing but good things to say about Chargriller, this forum, John and all his ideas, and the great folks who love to cook in non traditional  ways and are willing to share them with us all.

I understand about living in Florida, l'm from south Louisiana about 20 miles from the gulf. I had a stainless gases that has rust on the outside. Always left grills in garage so they would last. 

I believe this will be my last spring with the Akorn as well... I'll prolly clean it up and deal with the rust then give it to my dad... I'll be shopping for a ceramic too and feel like I should give the ceramic Akorn a good hard look as well as my original steel one performed.

Nice thread. Useful for owner and potential owners alike.

I am on Year 4 and I continue to be impressed by my Akorn. North Texas is a decent home climate and I keep the Akorn covered and under a patio roof when not in use. When I first purchased the Akorn I buttoned it up with nomex and have nary a lick of problems maintaining temps.  I did replace the CI grate with a behemoth from Michael's Custom.....love that thing. It will likely out live me, let alone the grill.  Only thing I have done to my Akorn was to replace the bottom rack last  Fall. t was getting rusty so I put in an order with CG. Replacement was inexpensive and shipped promptly. Good for another 4 years, I suspect.

No complaints from me.

I agree with No Complaints about my Akorn.  It's a great unit, I bought it with the intention of learning about kamado cooking and if it was for me, without having to take out a second mortgage and it did it's job to perfection.  I sing nothing but it's praise and will miss her dearly.  I never expected to get a 7 year run out of this grill, that has never happened before, so it's twice as nice as any gasser/coaler I owned prior to this.  

I roast, I grill, I bake and I smoke all on one grill, my dear Akorn !!!!!  Life is Good.

Well, I wasn't clueless when I got into Kamados, but I also didn't have $1500 to spare.  So started at the low end with a Akorn and have been continually impressed for 2 years.  It's a heck of a thing to have on your deck and with small additions it will perform at the top of the game. 2 years, no rust, totally solid out on my deck with just a cover.

Curious to see how mine will hold up, lots of rain, snow and humidity here.  Use a cover and have it under a canopy in the summer.  

If I got 3 yrs I would be fine though,. Over a year old now and looks great so we shall see.