Polar Bear

Team Red v Team Green

Am I the only one getting sick of the Us v Them attitude when it comes to Kamado owners?

I was on a KJ page when the new BGE Products came up and it was amazing the amount of KJ fan boy's  that came out.

Comments like "glad to see they're joining 2018" and "cant think of a good idea, copy someone else's" or "BGE imitators, not innovators"

Not once did someone say "its great that BGE users now have some more flexibility with their Kamados"

All negativity and KJ Kool Aid.

I get KJ make a good product, and that they've built themselves a loyal customer base, but to assume that anyone who buys or owns a BGE is an idiot for not buying red is a little harsh and ultimately unhelpful. BGE have an established brand in the market and if it weren't for the roads they've paved, there wouldn't be a Kamado Joe.

Sure theyre late to the party on a couple of things, but trying to convince people that they've made mistake cause they chose green over red seems a little silly, especially if you take the DnC out of the equation and use your Kamado as a Smoker, Basic Grill or Pizza oven almost exclusively. 

I checked out of the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate back in the early 2000's when I realized how juvenile it all was and its a little disheartening to see that level of tribalism has found its way into Grilling (of all things)

Is there a similar level of debate between the Yoda/Traeger/GMG pellet community or do they all just get along and grill?

I own a KJ and I like it a lot, but if my friend wanted to buy a BGE, I wouldn't go out of my way to convince him to change his mind, especially if I know what he's going to use it for.

I'd just be happy that he's joining the Ceramic Grillers team and leave it at that

Rant over

18 minutes ago, Ben S said:

This is the type of thread that could easily get out of hand. Let’s all be adults who are here for the food. 

Given that this page is independent of any specific manufacturer I'm hoping this stays civil

With the Kamado Guru facebook page going away, this site is the only one I know of that doesn't cater to a specific brand over all others and figured it had the best chance of resulting in a civil discussion

I'm not looking to make comparisons between different grills, or even discuss which is the better purchase, it was more about how stupid the Us vs Them attitude is among the Kamado community.

I have seen several discussions on that FB page that got a tad unruly.   One in particular comes to mind about a poor unfortunate female in Wyoming that just couldn't bring herself to go out in blizzard like conditions and start her Kamado.   She was basically attacked by several of the members and was told over and over and over that "if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen". only in the reverse conditions.  I finally put a comment that perhaps they could back down and give her some breathing room and give their manly  testosterone a break and that shut them down.   It was getting rather brutal.   

It's about the stupidest argument there ever was considering all kamados are just a new and improved version of the original clay pots. My mother always told me that being copied is the most sincerest form of flattery and you should be proud of that. 

I hope the fan boys don't think KJ didn't do their share of copying ideas. I owned a kamado with an air lift hinge and latch a few years before KJ came out with there's. 

Go Terra Blue - LOL 

Its funny you mention that, a few of us at work were discussing the other day how the debate is, and for the most part up here its egg heads. We all have the "do not buy brands" and "you'll regret not spending the money" kamados, and yet have proven that the cook does in fact make the food, not the Kamado.

When people ask me my opinion, I say KJ or BGE, in either order, solely because of both of their reputation for standing behind their product. I find my BGE does have better heat retention (marginally) than my browning, but that doesn't mean I should have spent $1500 off the hop to not know if I would use it instead of the $350 that I did.

I would much rather see someone have to be resourceful and find add-ons from other Kamados to fit theirs, than to feel cornered into buying a product because they have been led to believe its the only grill capable of "__________________"

just my 2 cents

There are fan boys of every brand.  You can't fault someone for being a fan boy no matter how hardcore they are.  You can, however, rise above the fan boy level and ignore it.  You and I both know that it ain't the grill that makes the food.  To a lot of owners, it IS all about the grill and it will always be about the grill.  The fan boy phenomenon between Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg is just about equal.  There are still a lot more fan boys of the BGE simply because they have been around a lot longer.  The rabidness of the fan boy on both sides of that line is about equal. 

You can let yourself get sucked into the fan boy debates and issues if you want to.  You ultimately get the fan boy label when you do that.  

What is a fan boy?

A fan boy is a person who, without regard, loves to engage in brand loyalty arguments and discussions and will, to the end, support his preferred brand whether right, wrong or otherwise.  

It's easy to get sucked in.   It's not easy to let go once you do.  You can't win a debate on this subject.

Interesting, I am a Egg owner, and am actually not aware of any new created or coypied components. Gotta get myself over to the BGE web site and see what everyones talking about. I actually avoid the BGE EggHead forum, for alot of the reasons mentioned above. Much more interested in the food than the brand of kamado it is cooked on. I bought my BGE because it is the only major kamado manufacture with a dealer in my little town.  Agree with John's wisdom completly. 

20 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Interesting, I am a Egg owner, and am actually not aware of any new created or coypied components. Gotta get myself over to the BGE web site and see what everyones talking about. I actually avoid the BGE EggHead forum, for alot of the reasons mentioned above. Much more interested in the food than the brand of kamado it is cooked on. I bought my BGE because it is the only major kamado manufacture with a dealer in my little town.  Agree with John's wisdom completly. 

Big green egg unveiled some new accessories at the HPB show in Nashville last week.  They have their own version of the Divide & Conquer grill grate / deflector system now (which is NOT unique to Kamado Joe - the Ceramic Grill Store has had their options for that on the market long before Kamado Joe ever put it together.)  They also have a new top vent design that is rain friendly.  They have a new grill extender rack that is nicer than any others I have seen so far.  

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

A fan boy is a person who, without regard, loves to engage in brand loyalty arguments and discussions and will, to the end, support his preferred brand whether right, wrong or otherwise.  

It's easy to get sucked in.   It's not easy to let go once you do.  You can't win a debate on this subject.

I think that the "fanboi" phenomena typically grows in environments where upstart or smaller brands are dwarfed by older or more established brands. The owners or users of the older more established brands (Microsoft / Windows, Ford Mustang, Harley Davidson) seek to dismiss the new brands as lesser in quality, functionality, rip offs, etc. Additionally,  in reaction, owners of the smaller brand (aka Macintosh / OSX, Chevy Camaro, Honda) defend and promote their products as just as worthy, more capable or more advanced than their counterparts. The person now widely known as "The Internet" is now the major proponent, chief advancer of and vice president in charge of throwing fuel onto the fanboi fire.

I just chalk it up to the sort of trash talking sport that many guys seem to engage in. I never take it seriously.

Those that do take it seriously should probably just learn to lighten up.