• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

25 minutes ago, 3547fl said:

Mine did that and also lowered the size of the bag.

I think they did that so they no longer have to price match when other places (Walmart - not to mention any names) puts it on sale. 

I know I wore out HD price matching in the past with a Walmart sale price. 

RO was my goto lump for years but I have been very disappointed with the last few bags of RO I used, so I  don't use it anymore. The lump was mostly small pieces and lots of dust. 

20 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

RO was my goto lump for years but I have been very disappointed with the last few bags of RO I used, so I  don't use it anymore. The lump was mostly small pieces and lots of dust. 

I just bought my second bag of Rockwood Lump. First bag was decent. This last bag was no better than RO and about twice the cost. 

Keep in mind that lump is bagged up in batches. Don't give up just because you got a few, less than stellar bags. You'll have that same situation with all lump brands from time to time. 

CK, the best I have found, as far as shipping damage, is to order direct from FOGO. I really like their Premier lump and I have never had a bad bag ordering direct from them and it's not that expensive, with them covering shipping. Occasionally they will have a sale and I try and load up.  I also like the new KJ Block lump but there aren't any dealers in my area, so it has to be ordered and I haven't very good results that way either.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:56 PM, retfr8flyr said:

I've never experienced that...or maybe my definition of what is good lump and what is not, falls short of everyone else's. Thing is, from long experience, I know that the care given to items being shipped to and from these big box stores is minimal and almost certainly a problem. Boxes and pallets and all manner of goods get thrown around like they've been in a hurricane. I've returned items that were well packed and well cushioned multiple times because, despite the packing, the items were damaged...significantly.

I suspect that the "small pieces and lots of dust" might be more the result of rough handling than problems with the manufacturing.

I tried RO, but settled on KJ Big Block.  I may give RO another go as this last bag of KJ I pulled out a nail, a soup can lid, and a string about 4 feet long.  I must have gotten the bag of everything that settled to the bottom.

Local Walmart(Lanaster SC) had no RO but had the B&B Hickory instead. I'd already used it from Academy and liked it so I went ahead and picked up a bag. It's only one bag but it has a lot of really big chunks in it. 

My local Walmart's have RO on sale for just under $10 a bag as well, I didn't pay any attention if it's the 17lb or 20lb bags. Either way for $10 its a good deal. I've never tried Fogo so I can't compare it to RO, I imagine it's better but just can't imagine it's so much better that I'll ever buy it, have it shipped etc, when I can go to Walmart and get RO for such a good price. I hate Walmart in general but I'll stop in to get some RO, lol.

I recently had a 20/lb bag of Fornetto Quebracho lump shipped to my local HD, it took about a week, and was in a heavy box marked Fragile.

The price has gone up about a buck since then,  my cost with tax was $26.17.

So far I've only done a little test burn, single burger cook, on my Weber mini chimney.

I'll post my thoughts about it after I fire some up in my PB, if it ever stops raining.

9amYs5JRdexc2lSOC2KeTSm-UdIqbET7NFmp8ikT

Open bag, settled to the bottom:

r8cEqLeao6twEWarGow1uYoBi6FWKqfzysCT5Oez

Dumped into a container:

PysCqghZop4oecrFpNbs7BN-LIWxlbMPa1hSUF07

Amount of lit:

Tn8PU9zdaxxaSE_1QxQvwdoKB2S4H0LDBrH5JkP7

Burger:

mgSgC-V06J_otNo6A1iPabuRBtSGFqePtptrGbsF