Sign in to follow this  
Rob_grill_apprentice

Getting plants ready for spring planting

I am getting my plants ready for spring planting and some going to friends.    What you see in the photos is Roma tomato plants in bin and on on shelf, some basil, jalapeño peppers, peppercini peppers, and sweet bell.   I have some seeds germinating for spearmint, peppermint, lemon basil, sweet basil, Thai basil, cinnamon basil, marigold regular and jumbo, tarragon, lavender,

my my other seed starter has English daisy, rosemary, sage, summer thyme, Greek oregano, and egg plant that not yet ready for transplanting to small pots yet.  The English daisy, sage, summer thyme should be ready for transplanting next weekend.     

BA261C50-6E25-4F4E-836A-15E28D75E2CE.jpeg

5FEE0212-05EB-4811-B9BD-510A1FED5AE0.jpeg

Wow - you are totally on top of things!  That’s going to be great.  I’ve tried doing peppers and tomatoes in planters because I don’t have enough lawn real estate to give up for a proper garden... but the darn dog eats anything my plants produce before I can get to it anyway, so I gave up. 

Here is my current plan and additional seeds I am starting,  the flowers are my wife for planting in front and in pots.   I am taking a few germanium,s for  repeling insects.  I also have recently got one set of 2 x (4x4) vita raised beds from Costco that I will set up for herbs and bee friendly flowers.  Also going to try container planting method for potatoes this year.   Ie cover in compost and  as potato plant grows put in my modified mel’s Mix (1/3 grade 1 vermiculite 1/3 Peet Moss, 1/2 compost) to the stem is just above mix and keep adding as it gets taller.

9E07B080-5BF3-43A9-BAB3-49236C37A5EC.jpeg

1D5CBA3E-C1CE-40C5-8995-F13F508FCD1D.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      This weekend I decided to put in an herb and vegetable garden again. I’ve been lazy the last 2 years and didn’t plant anything in the garden. One of the reasons why I didn’t was we had an irrigation valve go bad. We had to turn the backyard irrigation water off most of the time or the sprinklers would come on by themselves.

I needed to replace it but I was really dreading doing this due to how much work it was (I had to completely dig up the valve box like I was starting over) replacing a valve servicing my hill, downhill lawn, garden and fruit trees. You see when we expanded our patio I had to also expand our yard.

Here it is before the new concrete was poured.

In the pictures above you can see my expanded patio was occupying most of what used to be my original yard. So to expand our yard I had to also put in a retaining wall. (A few pics of that)
      1st course.

Drainage pipe and rock to control expansion.

Due to all this I had to completely redo all the irrigation, so I decided to put in underground valves in valve boxes. (A few pics of that)
      Underground valves / manifold connecting to lawn sprinklers and drip irrigation for planters.

Valve box being positioned.

Lids on and waiting to have soil filled in around them.

Here it is once most everything was finished except putting in the fountain, the plants and the rock ground cover.

And here it is after the fountain, the plants and the rock ground cover were done.

Here you can see why I didn’t want to have to dig them up.

Well I finally decided to fix it. Here’s the valves as they looked before I fixed them. (The valve on left is the bad one)

As it turned out I didn’t have to dig everything up (thanks to a pry bar) but it still took around 90 minutes to complete. (The new valve was like 1/8” longer than the old one)

Now that I can water everything via the time-clock controller again I started out with some herbs, (From left to right is Sweet mint, sweet basil, chives, lemon thyme and sage)

peppers and tomatoes.

The peppers were a variety pack.

I started out by planting the herbs in pots.

I divided the basil and chives into 3 different pots so I can rotate them inside the house and outside the house.

Here are one of the basil's, one of the chives and the thyme in our kitchen garden window.

I planted the peppers in 3 half wine barrel planters.
      Serrano and Jalapeno.

Anaheim & Cayenne

And the hot stuff - Habanero & Bhut Jolokia

These are all up the hill on our side yard where I’ve already planted some larger tomatoes.

I planted the sage and the smaller tomatoes in my downhill garden beds. Here’s a picture of the overall downhill garden.

Sage.

This is some Oregano that comes back every year. (Since 2013)

Big Boy Tomatoes.

The Waaaiiting is the Hardest Part!

Thank for looking.
    • By philpom
      This is a wonderful savory and satisfying soup.  This recipe will make 2 meal size servings or 4 side servings.

1 large green bell pepper
      1 large red bell pepper
      1 small onion
      2 medium yellow squash
      3/4 cup fresh small broccoli florets 
      4 oz of cooked breakfast sausage (pre-cooked weight)
      1 1/3 cups of milk
      1 1/3 cups of water
      2 beef bullion cubes
      black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

Slice and steam the squash, you want it mushy.  Slice the peppers and onions and saute in oil until tender but not over done.  Now combine everything in to a medium pan and slowly bring to a slow boil stirring often.  Reduce temp and simmer until the broccoli is tender.  Serve hot and top with grated hard cheese such as Parmesan.  Enjoy!

• By DerHusker
      One of my favorite toppings on steak is Blue-cheese & Herb Compound Butter. I made this many time before but I ran out of what I had in the freezer so I made some more up Monday night. Here are the ingredients for this batch. You can load it up with your favorite ingredients. (like John's recipe below)

5 oz. Crumbled Blue Cheese

1 stick Unsalted Butter

1/4 cup Italian Parsley Leaves (Minced)

1 tsp. Thyme

1 tsp. Dill

1 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Place the blue cheese and the soften butter in a bowl.

Add the minced the parsley, and other ingredients and thoroughly mix together with a fork.

Spoon approximately 1/4 of the mixture onto some plastic wrap.

Take the front edge of the wrap and tuck over the mixture and roll this up and then twist the ends tightly to form a log.

Repeat with the balance of the mixture.

I took one log and put in into the fridge and the other three I froze for future use.

Thanks for looking.

• By Tarheel
      So far I've planted dill, sweet basil, large leaf basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, Italian oregano, and cilantro. I'm also thinking of planting tarragon & chives.

Am I missing any worth considering? I see where mint is recommended when I google "popular herbs" but I can't remember cooking a recipe that called for it.
    • By karacooks
      This will be split into two posts because of the number of images I have. Here's Part 1:

When I first started thinking about the challenge, I knew I wanted to do some kind of chile relleno dish - but one that would be a little heartier than just a regular cheese stuffed relleno. I dug into several options, including wrapping the stuffed chile in corn husks and grilling that way, but then I started playing around on a variation of my favorite dish at my favorite local Mexican restaurant and this recipe was born!

Yesterday I documented the making of the fire roasted salsa, which I made a day early to let the flavors blend. 

Yesterday I also dry roasted 3 ears of corn and cut them from the cob and made cornbread:

While the cornbread was baking, I also simmered some chicken breasts in broth flavored with a healthy scoop of Penzey's taco seasoning and the juice of 2 limes:

I then shredded the chicken using my tried and true Kitchen Aid mixer method:

All of that got put in the fridge overnight to await today's cook.