dumbbunny

How to add wood chips in KJJ

Living up to my username I can't figure out the best way to add wood chips to my KJJ. 

One of our weekly meals is the Kirkland 7 oz salmon fillets. I prefer to use the indirect method but getting the foil-wrapped dry wood chips under the ceramic deflector after reaching 400F is problematic. Last night I pre-heated without the deflector and placed the foil-wrapped dry wood chips on the charcoal then put the deflector on and the temperature dropped 100F. By the time the temperature got to 400F, the wood chips were smoked out. 

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, dumbbunny said:

Living up to my username I can't figure out the best way to add wood chips to my KJJ. 

One of our weekly meals is the Kirkland 7 oz salmon fillets. I prefer to use the indirect method but getting the foil-wrapped dry wood chips under the ceramic deflector after reaching 400F is problematic. Last night I pre-heated without the deflector and placed the foil-wrapped dry wood chips on the charcoal then put the deflector on and the temperature dropped 100F. By the time the temperature got to 400F, the wood chips were smoked out. 

Any suggestions?

Try lighting your grill and preheating with the heat deflector in place.  Once it is preheated, use some heat resistant gloves to lift out the rack with the heat deflector, place your wood chips in the grill, replace the rack wtih the heat deflector, and start your cook immediately.

Similar to what John said, I have two half-moon ceramics I use as my deflector and when I want to add some smoke chips before cooking, I'll leave the deflectors in the keg to heat, but with one stacked partially on the other .  Same as the grates...I leave them in to heat, but stacked on one side.  When ready to cook, I drop in a foil pack, chips, pellets etc, then quickly slide the deflectors and grates into place with gloves on.

36 minutes ago, dumbbunny said:

John Setzler and SmallBBQr - Thanks for the tips. Guess were having salmon again tonight!

At 400 degrees in the dome you might be able to get wood chips to smoke by putting them directly on top of the heat deflector.  The heat deflector will be significantly hotter than 400 degrees once the grill is properly preheated.  

I have done what both John and SmallBBQ have noted. And, I in no way recommend what I am about to say. But, perhaps all the years of playing Operation and removing the funny bone & wishbone have led to my current practice of walking on the wild side. I light the fire and set the deflectors after the fire is established. I use the ash tool to surgically lift the rounded edge of the deflector plate after I reach temp. I lift the edge, throw in the chips or chunk and gently lay it back down- no buzzer, perfect surgery, I win. :-D

John Setzler and CentralTexBBQ - I had a fleeting thought of laying the chips on the ceramic deflector shield earlier. I must give it try even after finding my old pair of heat resistant gloves. The ash tool tip certainly is within my skill sets, too. I love this forum.

Yes, agreed with all the tips you've already received!  I normally wait until I get the temp up and ready to add the food, then use gloves to quickly lift one half of the deflector to throw in the chips or chunks.  With chips, I sometimes use soaked chips directly on the coals, but more often, make a foil pouch and use the chips dry.  Lately, I have been using chunks and just adding them in dry when ready to add the meat.  Oh, and as someone said, you can sometimes throw the chips in on top of the deflector and they will smoke.  

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:37 AM, CentralTexBBQ said:

I have done what both John and SmallBBQ have noted. And, I in no way recommend what I am about to say. But, perhaps all the years of playing Operation and removing the funny bone & wishbone have led to my current practice of walking on the wild side. I light the fire and set the deflectors after the fire is established. I use the ash tool to surgically lift the rounded edge of the deflector plate after I reach temp. I lift the edge, throw in the chips or chunk and gently lay it back down- no buzzer, perfect surgery, I win. :-D

I do the same thing

On 4/17/2018 at 7:11 PM, Polar Bear said:

I do the same thing

Lol I also have used the ash tool and the KJ grill grate tool to remove a heated deflector. John posted a vid of KAB super lifter about a week or two ago. That would make the job so much easier.

I use the grate grabber tool to grab both the grate and the deflector rack simultaneously. One move, super easy. Sometimes I use gloves, other times I don't. If you grab it just right, it's pretty simple to add charcoal or wood chunks. 

Regarding using "foil wrapped chips"... Ditch that. Buy some bags of "chunks" and use the smaller pieces in the Junior. If you don't have a way to break down the chunks, use the chips and just distribute them out evenly across your coals only lighting one spot to get the fire going.