LargeRedJoe

Do You Deserve Cast Iron?

For probably 20 years I had only ScanPan cookware, but last year I replaced all my skillets with cast iron. I kept my ScanPan pots, and my wife insisted on keeping one particular ScanPan skillet she likes for scrambling eggs. But I do love me some cast iron.

Seems like it would be mighty hard to sleep with 24 hours of sunlight.

Ive totally made the mistake of using a friends CI pan and washing it with water (Now I know better)... it was an all clad pan and it was a gift to him from his parents... the pan was fine, got a good story to tell, and we didn't speak for a year, but were good now... lol

When I was a kid, my mom used a well seasoned cast iron pan. We routinely scoured it with brillo, or SOS. She's still using it 50 years later. It's IRON, not an orchid. I wash mine with soap and water. If they start to look dull, I wipe them with oil.

1 hour ago, John Sand said:

When I was a kid, my mom used a well seasoned cast iron pan. We routinely scoured it with brillo, or SOS. She's still using it 50 years later. It's IRON, not an orchid. I wash mine with soap and water. If they start to look dull, I wipe them with oil.

My Granny had a small cast iron pan that was always on her stove top. She used it for everything and washed it regularly. The only reason she didn't put it a dishwasher is because she didn't have one.
It's probably my most prized cooking utensil. I've never done a proper seasoning on it. I just use it like she did, oil it occasionally, and it's still slicker than anything NASA ever invented....
By the way, I've always wondered who manufactured this little skillet. It's about 7 3/4" diameter. It has 5 0 stamped on the back and no other markings as far as I can see. The handle resembles a Birmingham Stove & Range pan, but the 5 0 markings don't match that manufacturers' markings. I'm guessing it's at least 50 years old and probably older.
I'd appreciate any SWAGs.
Thanks.

pan1.JPG

pan2.JPG

1 hour ago, Rip said:

My Granny had a small cast iron pan that was always on her stove top. She used it for everything and washed it regularly. The only reason she didn't put it a dishwasher is because she didn't have one.
It's probably my most prized cooking utensil. I've never done a proper seasoning on it. I just use it like she did, oil it occasionally, and it's still slicker than anything NASA ever invented....
By the way, I've always wondered who manufactured this little skillet. It's about 7 3/4" diameter. It has 5 0 stamped on the back and no other markings as far as I can see. The handle resembles a Birmingham Stove & Range pan, but the 5 0 markings don't match that manufacturers' markings. I'm guessing it's at least 50 years old and probably older.
I'd appreciate any SWAGs.
Thanks.

That's what the 5 0 stands for - it tells you how old it is ;)

1 minute ago, BeerdedRooster said:

is it possible it was crafted in 1950? They do that with steel on the Railroad.

That could be a very good possibility. My grandparents were very thrifty and if they could have saved a nickel on a "no name" pan - that was a nickel saved.
Regardless, it's  "a family heirloom" and I enjoy using it. I haven't used it for anything but corn bread in a long time.  :)

19 hours ago, John Sand said:

I don't know, but it's a beauty.

Thanks!
I just read that many of the older cast iron pans were sized with a fire ring - like on the bottom of mine - to fit a particular sized eye on the old wooden cook stoves. The pots and pans were assigned numbers to match with a particular sized stove eye. To complicate matters even more - these numbers weren't universal throughout the industry.
The search continues...

I have cast iron, carbon steel skillets and carbon steel knives. I am not afraid to clean any of these with soap and water followed by a proper drying.  Never a rust problem, proper seasoning will not wash off with soap and water.