Pulled the trigger

cmospyder

I finally pulled the trigger today and bought the Diamond Cut B-Series from Sams club. Looked at several different makes and models and felt the B series gave me the most bang for my buck. Being retired I have a limited budget to work with. Most of the other Pits, smokers and grills I have recommended a seasoning firing before the first use.  Is the the case with the kamado grills?

Great site by the way..

I don't believe so. However, I don't think it would hurt anything to fire it up and start trying to get a feel for the vent settings without food on it. Congrats, I have had mine for about six months and I really like it. I will be putting a 14lb brisket on mine within the next hour. I don't regret buying this grill for a second. 

Thank you,  I guess I will do a trial run to see if I can learn how the vents control the temps. On my other cookers I assumed the seasoning firing was to burn off any residue since they were all metal. With the ceramic kamadoes I didn't know if i was necessary or recommened. Now I just have to wait for my son to get off work to help me put it in the cradle.

Congratulations on your purchase. I would also recommend a trial run with the vents. See if you can stabilize the temp at the bbq "standards" 225, 275 and 325 etc. However once you approach grilling temps throw on food on and get the ceramic dirty! 

Another question: is there another deflector stone that will work other than the lava stone? I have read a lot of reviews of folks only getting a year or less out of the lava stone before it cracks or fall apart. I would rather spend $50 on a different brand if it will hold up better.

I did a pre burn on my pro c. One reason was that I wanted to better understand how the vents worked while hitting and holding target temps. I also cleaned and oiled my grates as they are metal. Burn was 4-5 hours on two chimneys of red bag Royal oak from Walmart. Looking forward to throwing a Boston butt and some ribs/wings on it soon. Wondering if people forego the chimney method in favor of a branded starter or they generally use the electric starter? Watched some of the videos here that say use a branded starter and leave the lid open for ten minutes or so. That seems like it may be required for longer burns, as after the time all of my lump had turned to ash. I will try that method on second attempt and update.

Congrats on the purchase!

Don't go the chimney route. That is a recipe for going nuclear in there. I just fill up the bottom directly from the bag. If im doing a low and slow, I use one starter. If im doing a reverse sear or high heat, i use two starters. 

36 minutes ago, adam319 said:

Don't go the chimney route. That is a recipe for going nuclear in there. I just fill up the bottom directly from the bag. If im doing a low and slow, I use one starter. If im doing a reverse sear or high heat, i use two starters. 

Thanks for the info. Figured as much...

Well this past weekend I cooked burgers (wife said they were the best she ever had). Then Sunday I cooked a 8 lb pork butt with Man Cave's Pork Rub, wife said it could use more smoke. After the butt I grilled 5 lbs of sausage. Used the cast Iron round griddle from Academy https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890 for my deflector plate.It was a good weekend. Late Sunday I ordered the spider from  https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/vision-pro-classic-b-grill-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/large-spider-vision  . It came in today so I ground the ears off the cast iron griddle and now I am ready for this weekend.

On 3/27/2018 at 5:49 PM, cmospyder said:

Well this past weekend I cooked burgers (wife said they were the best she ever had). Then Sunday I cooked a 8 lb pork butt with Man Cave's Pork Rub, wife said it could use more smoke. After the butt I grilled 5 lbs of sausage. Used the cast Iron round griddle from Academy https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890 for my deflector plate.It was a good weekend. Late Sunday I ordered the spider from  https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/vision-pro-classic-b-grill-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/large-spider-vision  . It came in today so I ground the ears off the cast iron griddle and now I am ready for this weekend.

Glad you like the Kamado.
On the Butt, did you wrap it? Use any wood chucks? How much?

21 hours ago, 01lowbird said:

Glad you like the Kamado.
On the Butt, did you wrap it? Use any wood chucks? How much?

I didn't wrap the butt and I used about 5 chunks of hickory. I did another butt and a chuck roast this pass weekend and both did much better with taking the smoke.