Jump to content

bosco

Some new knives

Recommended Posts

Been a busy week buying, trading and selling knives.  After reading the last knife thread I got thinking about what I liked and didn’t like what I had.  

 

Decided to part with two of my Takeda knives and trade my nakiri for a 210mm Masakage Koishi.  I also sold a small petty with this trade.  

 

The Nakiri just wasn’t for me.... I like the gyuto and a good 145mm range banno petty style.  

 

So I happened to stumble upon some collector from HK.  He was upgrading knives and had a Masamoto KS 240mm brand new in box.  This is a discontinued or more so a limited production run type blade and getting very difficult to find so I jumped at this purchase.  

 

I still have two takeda knives that I am going to try and sell as I am about to buy another KS 210mm brand new.  The KS knives are so beautiful to look at and they are razor sharp.  

 

Amyways, my blades are getting more geared to what I like and prefer and it’s is so much fun collecting and searching for these knives

 

E204534D-2210-41F9-BF67-95119EEF5242.thumb.jpeg.b12e6c12e1271ff52338b7c5005adcb6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet Bosco!

 

I bought a KS 240 about a month or so ago and didn't really have time to try it out. I finally tried it out last week and I'm in love. It fits my style perfectly. After using Japanese knives for a few years I realized what I liked. I prefer flatter profiles and the KS is perfect. I also found that I prefer a 240 over a 210. 

 

I only prepped one meal with it so far but it is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Its part laser and workhorse all in one. It feels so different from my other knives. They say there isn't a perfect knife for everything but I think this KS might be just about perfect for me. 

 

The balance, the weight, the profile, the length......What more can I say. Mine came razor sharp but I think I can get it even better. I can't wait to get it on the stones. 

 

 

I think your really going to love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bosceaux got me on the KS train also. I got it yesterday, and it’s everything I hoped for. I had recently bought a Konosuke GS+ 240mm, and I love it, but because of its design it’ll be limited to lighter prep work. The KS is everything! I worked on the edge a bit and now it almost literally fall through veggies. 

 

Thanks for the “tip” Bosceaux!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  I am very happy you guys love your KS’s.  I borrowed one from a friend, and it didn’t resonate with me.  It is a high performance tool, worth the 3-400 dollars!  I am currently enamored with my makoto and cleavers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 240 is not too big but it is pretty long.  I have an opportunity to buy the 210 so I have to decide soon on what I want to do.  If I buy the 210, the 240 will have to go.  

 

Decisions decisions lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Great score Bosco, there are guys that would kill to get their hands on a KS.

 

Yeah I watched so many videos etc and felt like I needed to try it myself.  It is everything I expected it to be and more!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, landscaper said:

Sweet Bosco!

 

I bought a KS 240 about a month or so ago and didn't really have time to try it out. I finally tried it out last week and I'm in love. It fits my style perfectly. After using Japanese knives for a few years I realized what I liked. I prefer flatter profiles and the KS is perfect. I also found that I prefer a 240 over a 210. 

 

I only prepped one meal with it so far but it is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Its part laser and workhorse all in one. It feels so different from my other knives. They say there isn't a perfect knife for everything but I think this KS might be just about perfect for me. 

 

The balance, the weight, the profile, the length......What more can I say. Mine came razor sharp but I think I can get it even better. I can't wait to get it on the stones. 

 

 

I think your really going to love it.

 

I am in full agreement with the thinner blade.  I love the feel of it. I can’t wait to put it through the paces.  I need to go and get some acetone today to remove the lacquer that is on it and I will eventually sharpen it.   

 

What stones nes are you using to sharpen this knife?  Grit stones I mean 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't remove the lacquer, I'm just letting it come off on its own. Its really thin and just from one prep session it is starting to come off along the edge.  I have the Chosera stones  400, 1000, 3000 and 5000. I will probably just run it on the 3000 and 5000 and follow the angle that it came with for now. 

 

Your wife should have some Acetone.

4 hours ago, bosco said:

@landscaper did you remove the lacquer with acetone? 

 

I am am going to do that today or tomorrow and just wanted to know how involved it was 

 

6 hours ago, bosco said:

 

I am in full agreement with the thinner blade.  I love the feel of it. I can’t wait to put it through the paces.  I need to go and get some acetone today to remove the lacquer that is on it and I will eventually sharpen it.   

 

What stones nes are you using to sharpen this knife?  Grit stones I mean 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, landscaper said:

I didn't remove the lacquer, I'm just letting it come off on its own. Its really thin and just from one prep session it is starting to come off along the edge.  I have the Chosera stones  400, 1000, 3000 and 5000. I will probably just run it on the 3000 and 5000 and follow the angle that it came with for now. 

 

Your wife should have some Acetone.

 

 

 

Ok good to know.  I purchased the acetone and will use it for the marker that I use when I first start out with sharpening anyways.  I am ordering some oil to help keep it treated when not in use.  I have a few stones that I need to get.  I have a jinzo Aoto which is a medium grit but it is more for kasumi finish.  So I will likely pick up a 400 and a 100 splash and go gesshin stones to add to my setup.  

 

I ordered some patina erasers as well as I am not a fan of patina on knives....

 

I would love to hear some input on finding the right angle and how you sharpen this beauty!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I usually do with a new knife is find the angle that came with the knife. You can feel it when you put it on the stones. If you want to just feel the angle and not change it, start off on your highest stone. That way you won't really take much off as you  find the angle.

 

You can paint the edge and do it that way but you can definitely feel it when you are on the angle. Just go really easy and hold the blade lightly. The sound will change too. You can adjust the angle slightly as you slowly move the blade angle on the stone and you will hear and feel when you are on the angle that the knife came with. It will feel like your not doing anything...if that makes sense. 

 

Its kinda hard to explain but you will see what I mean when you start sharpening it. If the angle that is on there is not to your liking you can take it to the angle you prefer. That will mean starting off with a lower stone like the 400 or 1000. Also the edge that comes with most knives is fragile and often contains the fatigued metal from the overall process of making the knife and usually dulls faster than normal.

 

Usually once a new knife gets to the point that I'm not liking the way its cutting then I put it on the stones. I then check to see what the angle it came with and then either follow that....if I like the angle....or make my own. 

 

I usually try to push the angle to its limits at first to see how it handles it. If it dulls too fast due to the extreme angle or is too fragile then I lesson the angle and try that. 

 

Its a learning process with each knife and metal. Each are hardened differently and can take different angles. I try to find what the knife likes and what I like. Once I find that angle, then I just repeat that each time I sharpen.

 

I hope all that makes sense.

 

I just use Barkeepers friend to get the patina off once it gets too extreme. I don't mind some patina but after a while it can in my opinion take away from the look of the knife. So every couple of months or so I clean it all off and start over. 

 

I use board oil for the knife and handle. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve also added a Konosuke HD 2 to the set, I haven’t received it yet. 

 

I also just just received a new hinoki cutting board. For those not familiar, it’s a Japanese cypress. It has great anti microbial qualities, it’s really light, doesn’t stain easily, and basically only needs to be wetted before use. They’re not terribly expensive compared to other quality boards, and I find myself reaching for it almost every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...