rickcharles606

Akorn lid screws pulled out of body of Akorn

Hey all, haven't been on much lately as I've been working and traveling quite a bit the last 8 months. So, I went out to fire up the Akorn a few months ago and lifted the lid and it seemed to open a bit further than normal. When I inspected the lid hinge, it appears that the top two screws holding the lid hinge have pulled out of the body of the grill. Since the steel is so thin, it looks as if it's due to the weight of the lid applying pressure on these screws when open. I've tried several ways to repair them, none of which are working. This has essentially rendered the grill unusable, which pisses me off. I've had it for a couple years now, and it doesn't break my heart to think that I'll need to go get a new one because they are relatively inexpensive. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this and discovered a way to repair or some other work around?

I'm guessing it's time to go get a kamado joe now :-)

Jot down the model and serial number and look for your receipt.................................If its under 5 years old I would call customer service and Warranty a new top!

Okay, it's actually the screws that hold the hinge to the body/bottom of the grill, not the top. I'm guessing it's the weight of the lid that applies pressure to these screws and pulled them out. Sadly, I don't have my receipt, but it is indeed under 5yrs old. Maybe I'll contact them to see if there's anything they can do. I don't wanna go buy a new one, because I'm going to get a new Kamado Joe or something similar in the next 90 days or so. Want to pay off the car first :-)

3 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Have you  tried drilling out the old nutserts and trying the next larger size nutsert?

The nutsert is the problem, that's what's pulling out of the sheet metal. No way to "re-insert" them, as I've tried. Hell, I even tried to JB weld the damned things lol

There's a post on here by someone who replaced those riv-nuts.   I'd contact Customer Service at CharGriller.  They're pretty good.  Here's the post.

If you search on here, there is a thread on this for a suitable repair.  It's a few years back.  I think I may have even posted a solution.   One method involves drilling all the way through to the inside and using nuts and bolts with a spacer that goes around the bolt that spans the distance between the inner and outer wall of the bottom along with a backing plate on the inside.  .  I didn't save the thread so can't reference it for you other than to say there is one. 

Good luck.   

Were you able to save your grill?

The same thing happened to mine; anchors pulled out of the bottom half. I treated it fairly gently too for the three years since i bought it from Lowe's. 

I contacted Chargriller to see if they had recommendations for anchor and bolt sizes for the fix. I was not expecting anything else because it's only a one year warranty and they said i could buy a new lower half. I don't want to go that route because Lowes assembled it too and i dont have faith that they didnt crossthread or otherwise make it painful to redo. 

20180407_134334.jpg

One problem I know for sure happens is the drill drivers.  The riv-nuts can strip really easily so you do have to take care in the assembly so as not to over tighten.  Screw guns can over tighten easily.  Putting on a new bowl would not be difficult  with the proper socket and a small racket .  I say small so that you do not apply a lot of force while tightening the bolts.

Treeguy, i took your route today. Three bolts through the inner chamber.

Seems to be working fine for burgers tonight.. The opening action is smooth and the fat will certainly seal in the washers before too long.

20180408_183148.jpg

20180408_184050.jpg

11 hours ago, motofish said:

Treeguy, i took your route today. Three bolts through the inner chamber.

Seems to be working fine for burgers tonight.. The opening action is smooth and the fat will certainly seal in the washers before too long.

20180408_183148.jpg

20180408_184050.jpg

Good move.  That was a practical choice.  They are a limited life cooker in any event.

I give mine a tighten twist-or-two about twice a year, what with all that up and down and up and down of the lid coupled with a little heat you gotta figure a screw-loose somewhere. Hell I got a few screws loose myself.... just ask my wife.

3 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

I give mine a tighten twist-or-two about twice a year, what with all that up and down and up and down of the lid coupled with a little heat you gotta figure a screw-loose somewhere. Hell I got a few screws loose myself.... just ask my wife.

Thanks, I'll start doing that.  Thanks for the forewarning and advice, all y'all.