Sign in to follow this  
DerHusker

Carne Asada Tacos – My GoTo Meal

Carne Asada Tacos are one of my favorite things to make and eat. I make them at least once a month and sometimes many more than that. Today I started by making a fresh batch of Pico de Gallo.

40140571485_c89559c023_z.jpg

Recipe is here:

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/31022-pico-de-gallo-my-way/?tab=comments#comment-414993

I then took a package of marinated skirt steak

40992193132_c1a2b1d3a4_z.jpg

and cut it into manageable sizes and placed it on the kamado.

39224984550_4aa235f53f_z.jpg

I cooked it approximately 6 minutes per side until it developed a little char on it and here is the result.

41033869071_d2f9feafd9_z.jpg

I cut these up into taco size pieces across the grain and made up 3 tacos served with Negra Modelo, some sliced radish and a grilled yellow pepper.

41033875761_3720b0305d_b.jpg

39225506980_d3a5d32e5e_b.jpg

39225532650_aacbcf3443_b.jpg

41034377911_cc4197d632_b.jpg

Muy Delicioso!

That looks fantastic!  I'm got to try your Pico de Gallo recipe, thanks for sharing.  I'm not even going to try and match your festive presentation.

3 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

How do you say BAM! in Spanish?!  It's all there saying "bite me".  Since you do this all the time, I'm assuming you charred the shells a bit as well?  Great entry.

Thank You Jerri. BAM is BAM in Spanish. I don't believe they said "bite me" but I do believe I heard "eat me". :lol:

I didn't char the shells. I simply warmed them up and then placed them in my tortilla warmer until we were ready to eat.

2 hours ago, St1brew said:

Looks awesome, you did a great job. The only problem I see is my lack of proximity to California...;-)

Thank you st1brew. I can't help you with your location but I did show how to make this quick and delicious meal.

2 hours ago, BobE said:

That looks fantastic!  I'm got to try your Pico de Gallo recipe, thanks for sharing.  I'm not even going to try and match your festive presentation.

Thank you Bob. I've started to add just a little bit of salt to the pico now days.

14 hours ago, Jack 101 said:

We're lining up for a bite of those delicious-looking tacos.  :good::good:

AAbtGiS.jpg

Thank you Jack. What a fine looking bunch. I'm thinking the little one (3rd from the right) is the leader of the pack.

13 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Should have known you were going to knock this one out of the park....  Awesome cook, great colors, wonderful entry (assuming it's an entry)!

Thank you KK. What? Is there a Taco Challenge going on? B)

13 hours ago, In2Fish said:

@DerHusker  that's a great looking taco meal.  I can only imagine the flavors, and a nice beer to pull it all together.  Well done sir, well done.

Thank you David. This is one of my favorite meals and it's relatively easy to make. I didn't make my own tortillas this time but I did the next best thing. I bought them, still warm, from my local  tortilleria that afternoon. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      Wanted to start Super Bowl Sunday out right. I decided on Huevos Rancheros.
      Started out making the sauce by sautéing some onions and bell pepper.

Once they had started to wilt, I added a can of diced tomato.

After that had cooked for a few minutes, I added a small can of rojas enchilada sauce and let this simmer for 15 minutes.

After the sauce was done, I cooked up some potatoes. (While these were cooking, I cooked up some black beans inside)

Grilled up some tortillas.

And finally cooked up some eggs. (these were for the wife’s dish)

With everything ready, I plated it up. Here are these pics served up with some orange juice and coffee.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      I’ve been using these basic whetstones that I purchased a few years ago. I believe both stones ran me under $55.00.

They work fairly well, but are a little on the small side, so I’ve been wanting to upgrade. I had a mess of Amazon gift cards so I looked to see what I could get. The first thing I purchased for my kit was a pet food mat that will serve as my work station. If I want to sharpen in the house, I need something to contain any water or slurry from making its way onto the countertop. This is a 24” x 16” silicone mat with a ½” lip and little raised nubs to keep things from sliding around.

Next were the stones and a holder. The Suehiro brand of whetstones seemed to have excellent reviews on both Amazon and Youtube so they are what I purchased for most of them. From left to right they are a Suehiro Cerax 320 grit,  Suehiro Cerax 1000 grit, Atoma Diamond 140 coarse flattening stone, Suehiro Rika 5000 and a Kiyayama 8000 grit finishing stone.

This picture shows the stone holder in the middle.

Here’s a size comparison shot between the old stones and the new stones.

Here’s a close up picture of the Kitayama 8000 stone.

Here’s a picture of my soaking pond with the mat rolled up next to it.

And finally all the stones and the holder in the container.

I just sharpened most of my knives on the old stones. I’m now going to try sharping one on the new stones to see if there is any difference. I’ll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

before blowing out the flame.

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

I took them out of their wrappers.

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

An hour later it looked like this.

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      On New Year’s Eve we had our friends over for dinner.  They were getting up early to go to the Rose Parade so the evening ended early but we still had a great time.

I made 2 pizzas. The first was a Hawaiian Pizza with red onion, black olives, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The second was a Meat Lover’s Pizza with red onion, black olives, peperoni and Italian sausage.

Both were delicious but I have to say the Meat Lovers was my favorite.

Thanks for looking.