Sean D

Akorn Assembly Question

Took me about 2 hours to assemble mine as well, so I've found the 30-45 minute claims to be a little lofty.  I suppose for the more mechanically adept or experienced it could go faster.

I just assembled my third one this weekend. Probably took around 35-45 minutes.  One tip I can give is to pay very close attention to installing the legs and the bottom tray. Each leg only goes in one spot, they are not the same. Two of the times I assembled Akorns I ended up having the legs in the wrong spot and had to remove them and reinstall. I immediately recognized the problem when going to install the axle or the bottom tray. Only took a minute to adjust, but it was aggravating. All you should need is a 7/16 nut driver or ratchet.

A little OT, but if I had to do it all over again, I would only assemble one, and that would be the one that is marketed by Home Depot--the one on the cart. More stable, better dome latch, better value for the money.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Daz
      Hi all, I was in love with my Akorn rotisserie setup but bored with birds, I decided to put some SLC ribs on a rotisserie setup. Ribs came from Costco pre-dry rub. Had three chunks of Kiawe wood on top of a snake of charcoals. No drip pan but the fire is on the side. Grill was around 350-400 degrees most of time and only took two hours for the ribs to be done. The rotisserie eliminated the under/over cooked spots and from now on I'll always do ribs on a rotisserie!
      Check out the video I made and enjoy the weekend 

• By Fudpucker
      As the title suggests, I am looking for help getting my Akorn to act the way I want it to for smoking purposes. 

I have the smoking stone, use a water pan, and lower my dampers until it basically snuffs out my fire, but I cannot seem to keep my Akorn at 225. 

Now, I will admit that I am new to smoking and that there is a lot to be learned, but I have read tons of guides and watched videos and replicated them to my best ability, but still cannot get it to work for me. 

Currently, my process is this:

Open dampers all the way Fill bottom of grill full of hardwood lump Light with cotton balls soaked in alcohol Toss in a couple chunks of hickory Place my smoking stone Place my water pan Close lid and let set until 150 Close dampers halfway until 180 Close dampers again halfway until 210 Close dampers halfway one last time to about .5 on top and bottom.  
      1 of 2 things happens here. Either the temp keeps building to nearly 300 or the fire dies. 

I play with the dampers making very small .5 adjustments to try and finagle it, but I cannot seem to get it right. 

When I do seem to get the temps in a semi stable range around 230-260 (after LOTS of adjustments), after about an hour I go to spritz my meat with some apple juice and the temps take off again (Obviously because I just fed it a lot of oxygen) and never seem to come back down. 

I have read about this "volcano" method of lighting the coals, but I literally have not found any videos or pictures on how to set that up. 

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing wrong and I could use someone being critical of my process to give me some advice and direction. 

Thanks for any feedback!

• By Daz
      Finally I got around to finish this idea I had for a long time, ever since I made the pizza ring. I picked up a set of Weber Rotisserie and lathed part of the shaft round to fit the Akorn. I cut two little "V" on the pizza ring and the drive motor sits perfectly on top fo the side table - lucked out on that one! The chickens were marinaded with Hawaiian Huli Huli Sauce for two days, with some Hawaiian Salt Seasoning, freshly ground pepper and they turned out amazing. I gotta thank my neighbor who worked at a construction site and got me a tuck load of dried out Kiawe wood. It burns really hot and long lasting. I'm starting to put a kit together and will report back on the progress.

• By Daz
      I dug up my old files today and found this hitch rack I designed and built back in 2015. I couldn't find the installed pic but I was hauling my akorn around with it. 
      Never made it to production but if there is enough interests here I may make a few sets. I'll tell you there will be a lot of compliments at traffic stops haha.
      The floor jack will be replaced with a standalone hand truck that can be used as a floor stand when the grill is off the truck. 

• By Daz
      My wifed signed me up for BBQ Ribs at my son's baseball endgame party. After working on my own controller like nuts for 3 years she now signs me up for every potluck party we go. So I was on a quest to find out how to use minimum effort to make pro-like ribs. I figured I'll make a video for it since I haven't smoked much of ribs for a while.
      Here is a process I tested today and the ribs turned out to be just as savory and tasty as, well, finely prepped ribs. It'd add a few points with some freshly cut herbs and garlic but these ribs turned out to be just amazing. Here is the process, no overnight seasoning, no wrapping and no mopping. The grill was not touched til the end. 

1. I went straight to Costco and picked up some pre-dry-rubbed St. Louis Cut Ribs. I've used them before and they are great. For only $3.49 /lb and seasoned, this is the best bang for the buck. This way I don't have to buy them ahead of time. The ribs are good to go. The rub was called "Souvloki" rub and it got a little heat in it. 
      2. I curled up the ribs into a standing tube with two skews. This way the ribs are cooked 1~2 hours faster and even on both sides. It took three hours to cook the ribs to 210 internally.
      3. Lit the starter cube, put in the heat deflector, insert the meat probes and grill probe. Put the meat in and close the lid for the first and last time.
      4. Set the temperature controller to 270. I was just experimenting with it, It worked really well. A nice bark was formed yet the inside is savory. It pulls off the bone easily. 
      5. That was it. No wrapping no mopping no nothing. Just cruise around for 3 hours and take it straight out of the grill and eat.
      So next time if you are in a hurry or just being lazy...you know what to do.