I am sold on reverse sear

26 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I am a fan myself but only on cuts that are approaching 2" thick. Anything 1 1/2" or less it's  not really needed. 

Great looking filet. 

Yup. One of the first Kamado Guru techniques I used when I started with an Akorn. The reverse sear works well on thick pork steaks too.

M.

5 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@Txbullets

What characteristics do you prefer about it?  

John, I like the way I can get a great thin crusty sear on the outside and still have it med-rare on the inside. 

4 hours ago, ckreef said:

I am a fan myself but only on cuts that are approaching 2" thick. Anything 1 1/2" or less it's  not really needed. 

Great looking filet. 

I also love reverse sear and like you only on thicker cuts of meat.

I don't reverse sear many things, but if I am going to sear something I'm always using the reverse method. It's hard to find 2" thick ribeye's, strips, etc where I live without paying a fortune for them due to the overall weight of the meat, so filet's are typically what I sear most often. As others have mentioned, if it's steak and it's not around 2" thick, there really isn't a reason to reverse sear it, just cook it hot and fast and it'll still have a sear on it without overcooking it.

I am a huge proponent of the reverse sear method.  Particularly for roasts. I will be doing a tri tip tonight so of course that's what I will be doing.  For me, it's the way to get the thinnest gray band possible.  I know this does not matter to everyone (my husband says he doesn't care) but part of cooking enjoyment for me is making goals like that for myself... I also feel like I get better smoke flavor-but that part could be in my head. 

28 minutes ago, shuley said:

I am a huge proponent of the reverse sear method.  Particularly for roasts. I will be doing a tri tip tonight so of course that's what I will be doing.  For me, it's the way to get the thinnest gray band possible.  I know this does not matter to everyone (my husband says he doesn't care) but part of cooking enjoyment for me is making goals like that for myself... I also feel like I get better smoke flavor-but that part could be in my head. 

I imagine you're right about the smoke level. If you sear first you're going to create a crust that is likely going to let less smoke penetrate the throughout the rest of the cook. I'd have to research it again but I believe once the meat hits around 130-140 degrees it quits taking smoke. So if you sear your meat first you have certainly eclipsed that mark, forming a crust that would make it nearly impossible for smoke to penetrate deep into the meat.

6 hours ago, shuley said:

I am a huge proponent of the reverse sear method.  Particularly for roasts. 

I agree with you sooo much. Did some roasts round the holidays with this method. Delish.  Like it for some thick steaks too. You, sir, are enlightened!

(j.k. Bout the “ sir” , need to give you folks something to turn me into the roast on occasion)