GuysellsTXhomes

Pizza Stone Where? and Pizza Sticking to stone

OK just had my first try cooking pizza with Akorn Kooker.
Didn't go as smooth as I hoped, as I imagine all first timers experience.

1, I bought the "3 Tab" Pizza/Smoker Stone and placed it in the "slots" for it (below the main Grate line) and cooked the pizza on that.
from what I am reading tonight:
a) Some people put the stone on top of the normal grate.
b.    Some use the 3 Tab "Diffuser" AND an additional Pizza Stone???

2. I had a TERRIBLE time with the Pizza Sticking to the Stone when cooking...is Cornmeal the answer to that issue?

Thank you for any help...it will get better each time.

From what I understand the diffuser can be place on the "firebox" or the grid but either way there must be a space between the diffuser and a second stone or steel. 

I haven't done a pizza yet but I understand the concept...which is consistent across many boards (forums) talking about cooking pizza on a kamado.

And it helps if your dough is a "high heat" dough.

My Akorn pizza set-up is pizza stone on main grate, with a second stone or baking steel on top of it, separated with an air gap using 1/2 copper elbows. Pizza is cooked on the second stone/steel. This two-stone setup prevents the cooking surface from scorching the bottom of the pizza. Since one of the keys to a great pizza cook is cooking the toppings from above (and the crust from below), i put a stone on the warming rack. Be sure to let all that thermal mass heat soak for maximum effect.

As for sticking, I launch on a piece of parchment paper, and remove the paper after about 1 - 2 minutes.

Be sure to match your dough and your cooking temp. E.g., a dough with sugar will require a lower temp cook to avoid burning. Dough hydration and cooking temp are also related.

Keep at it!!

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Chris Topher said:

My Akorn pizza set-up is pizza stone on main grate, with a second stone or baking steel on top of it, separated with an air gap using 1/2 copper elbows. Pizza is cooked on the second stone/steel. This two-stone setup prevents the cooking surface from scorching the bottom of the pizza. Since one of the keys to a great pizza cook is cooking the toppings from above (and the crust from below), i put a stone on the warming rack. Be sure to let all that thermal mass heat soak for maximum effect

Any pictures of your set-up?

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, GuysellsTXhomes said:

OK just had my first try cooking pizza with Akorn Kooker.

2. I had a TERRIBLE time with the Pizza Sticking to the Stone when cooking...is Cornmeal the answer to that issue?

Thank you for any help...it will get better each time.

Yes, Cornmeal is the answer (or at least an answer).  I use it on my Pizza Peel before putting the dough on it and then spring some more on the cooking stone before sliding the pizza onto it.  Cornmeal acts like little ball bearings.

I'd recommend the two stone set-up for sure.  I'm not great at launching off a peel so have resorted to using a steel pizza pan.  I've had good success  on the Akorn Jr. placing the smokin stone on top of the cast iron cooking grate and then the pizza pan on the stone.  

Sugar in the crust can become a problem for cooks over the 550˚F range.  

On 9/8/2018 at 3:03 AM, hfw said:

@K’man, when I use your setup, the top doesn’t brown, even using a very thin crust. Any suggestions?

R U cooking on the Jr. or the full size Akorn?  The dome is a lot closer on the Jr., I've never had a problem doing that but in order to save  the seasoning on my grate I've switched to a 2 stone set-up using a canning rack which fits snug into the fire bowl.  I have the smokin stone beneath and my pizza stone on top of the rack.  It is elevated a little more this way.

Oops, missed your reply until now! It’s the Jr and I’d love to ask you about your canning rack and CI setup. (I’m not sure what I’m seeing in the pics)

How much charcoal?

CI skillet upside down? Resting on what?

Canner rack resting on what?

Ceramic diffuser on canner rack?

Pizza in steel pizza pan on diffuser?

Preheat all except pizza in pan to what temp on dome thermometee?

Recommendation for vent settings?

I’m determined to nail this, and your setup looks perfect. Can’t thank you enough for any help you can provide!

—Heidi

7 hours ago, hfw said:

Oops, missed your reply until now! It’s the Jr and I’d love to ask you about your canning rack and CI setup. (I’m not sure what I’m seeing in the pics)

How much charcoal?

CI skillet upside down? Resting on what?

Canner rack resting on what?

Ceramic diffuser on canner rack?

Pizza in steel pizza pan on diffuser?

Preheat all except pizza in pan to what temp on dome thermometee?

Recommendation for vent settings?

I’m determined to nail this, and your setup looks perfect. Can’t thank you enough for any help you can provide!

—Heidi

I pretty much always have a bowl full of charcoal, that's up to the bottom of the 3 tabs.

If you have a smokin stone, place it on the tabs.

If you don't, a 10" Lodge C/I fry will work as a diffuser .  What I've done is to take a 3ft. piece of 3/16" round bar and bend it into a triangle so that the points of the triangle rest on the three tabs of the fire box.  That way you can suspend a 10" round disc, fry pan(without the handle) or a pie plate.

Next remove your cast iron grate and insert a canning rack with  the handles removed from the rack.  The rack will fit inside the fire bowl by friction and becomes quite snug.  This will allow you to raise your cooking height higher than with the cooking grate and save the curing from burning off the grate.

Set your pizza stone on top of the rack. 

I lite my charcoal vents wide open and let my Jr. come about about 450˚  I have a laser thermometer I used in the past although now I just rely on the Jr's thermometer.  

I set the bottom vent  usually to about 3 and the top vent to between 2& 3 depends on the charcoal letting it stabilize at 500-525˚F   It may vary a bit as it sometimes does.  I want my pizza stone to be around 500 range, not over 550˚

Because I can't launch the dough I use a steel pizza pan, I have two.  Dough goes into the pan, make up your pizza , set the pans on the stone and cook about 8 minutes give or take.  The more toppings the longer it will be.  I open the dome at 4 minutes and turn 180˚ so as to even out the cooking and that way I have an idea how fast the pizza is cooking.  At those temps the Jr. can be raised or drop temp fairly quickly so I try to maintain 500-525, no higher than 550.

This set-up works the best for me.

If you have any questions or need pics let me know.  You can also p/m me if you like.

THANK YOU! I tried to PM you before, but got a msg to the effect that “this member cannot receive messages,”

I do have a smokin’ stone, and a 10” CI dual handle skillet. Do you think it would work to have the smokin’ stone on the tabs as usual and the skillet on top of the canning rack (with the pizza, like yours, in the steel pan)? And, if so, would you have the skilled right side up, or upside down?

Someday, I won’t be so ignorant...:unsure:

—Heidi

Hi Heidi.  Not sure why I could not receive messages????

Are you using a pizza pan or trying to launch off a pizza peel?

If you have the smokin stone and the canning rack I'd save my frypan and just buy a small 9 or 10" pizza stone

fullsizeoutput_58e.jpeg

IMG_2085.JPG

fullsizeoutput_58f.jpeg

IMG_2087.JPG

fullsizeoutput_590.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_591.jpeg

Thank you, thank you! 

I’m using the CI skillet, actually purchased for the grill, rather than getting another stone. I did use it upside down on the Akorn grill, since the grill needed a burn-off anyway. The pizza was much improved over previous attempts—pretty evenly done top and bottom, without having to do in two stages. I will try the canning rack next time to get it just a bit higer in the dome.

Thanks again for all your help.

—Heidi