GuysellsTXhomes

Pizza Stone Where? and Pizza Sticking to stone

OK just had my first try cooking pizza with Akorn Kooker.
Didn't go as smooth as I hoped, as I imagine all first timers experience.

1, I bought the "3 Tab" Pizza/Smoker Stone and placed it in the "slots" for it (below the main Grate line) and cooked the pizza on that.
from what I am reading tonight:
a) Some people put the stone on top of the normal grate.
b.    Some use the 3 Tab "Diffuser" AND an additional Pizza Stone???

2. I had a TERRIBLE time with the Pizza Sticking to the Stone when cooking...is Cornmeal the answer to that issue?

Thank you for any help...it will get better each time.

From what I understand the diffuser can be place on the "firebox" or the grid but either way there must be a space between the diffuser and a second stone or steel. 

I haven't done a pizza yet but I understand the concept...which is consistent across many boards (forums) talking about cooking pizza on a kamado.

And it helps if your dough is a "high heat" dough.

My Akorn pizza set-up is pizza stone on main grate, with a second stone or baking steel on top of it, separated with an air gap using 1/2 copper elbows. Pizza is cooked on the second stone/steel. This two-stone setup prevents the cooking surface from scorching the bottom of the pizza. Since one of the keys to a great pizza cook is cooking the toppings from above (and the crust from below), i put a stone on the warming rack. Be sure to let all that thermal mass heat soak for maximum effect.

As for sticking, I launch on a piece of parchment paper, and remove the paper after about 1 - 2 minutes.

Be sure to match your dough and your cooking temp. E.g., a dough with sugar will require a lower temp cook to avoid burning. Dough hydration and cooking temp are also related.

Keep at it!!

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Chris Topher said:

My Akorn pizza set-up is pizza stone on main grate, with a second stone or baking steel on top of it, separated with an air gap using 1/2 copper elbows. Pizza is cooked on the second stone/steel. This two-stone setup prevents the cooking surface from scorching the bottom of the pizza. Since one of the keys to a great pizza cook is cooking the toppings from above (and the crust from below), i put a stone on the warming rack. Be sure to let all that thermal mass heat soak for maximum effect

Any pictures of your set-up?

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, GuysellsTXhomes said:

OK just had my first try cooking pizza with Akorn Kooker.

2. I had a TERRIBLE time with the Pizza Sticking to the Stone when cooking...is Cornmeal the answer to that issue?

Thank you for any help...it will get better each time.

Yes, Cornmeal is the answer (or at least an answer).  I use it on my Pizza Peel before putting the dough on it and then spring some more on the cooking stone before sliding the pizza onto it.  Cornmeal acts like little ball bearings.

I'd recommend the two stone set-up for sure.  I'm not great at launching off a peel so have resorted to using a steel pizza pan.  I've had good success  on the Akorn Jr. placing the smokin stone on top of the cast iron cooking grate and then the pizza pan on the stone.  

Sugar in the crust can become a problem for cooks over the 550˚F range.  

On 9/8/2018 at 3:03 AM, hfw said:

@K’man, when I use your setup, the top doesn’t brown, even using a very thin crust. Any suggestions?

R U cooking on the Jr. or the full size Akorn?  The dome is a lot closer on the Jr., I've never had a problem doing that but in order to save  the seasoning on my grate I've switched to a 2 stone set-up using a canning rack which fits snug into the fire bowl.  I have the smokin stone beneath and my pizza stone on top of the rack.  It is elevated a little more this way.