Sign in to follow this  
SmallBBQr

Pork Belly/Side

Pork Belly/Side was on sale a while back, so I bought a bunch, and then notched, pre-seasoned and vacuumed sealed so I could bring them straight out of the freezer, thaw in the sink and then sous-vide or roast.  Today was thawed then straignt into the Keg.  Will give it about 3 hours at 350...this is about 2 hours in.  Going for about 205 degrees finished temp and fall apart tender (I hope!)

20180402_173105.thumb.jpg.0a8fc11ed05a843bcd4dfacaeb0f2625.jpg 

I'm interested in your smoking and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. 

And as a side pondering ... What does the freezing/thawing process do to the taste and texture of meats and their smoking results?

2 hours ago, tsh0ck said:

I'm interested in your smoking and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. 

And as a side pondering ... What does the freezing/thawing process do to the taste and texture of meats and their smoking results?

Majority of the meats I smoke are frozen prior.  I just never know when I am going to have the time to smoke them.  I really don’t find a difference.  If there is, it is incredibly minimal, in my opinion.

Just now, Bgosnell151 said:

Majority of the meats I smoke are frozen prior.  I just never know when I am going to have the time to smoke them.  I really don’t find a difference.  If there is, it is incredibly minimal, in my opinion.

It's interesting to me. For no real reason, I think I just assume that meat is better fresh, right? But I haven't had any troubles with smoking something that was frozen before -- and have wondered if it even might help. Wondered if the freezing might break down some of the tissues in the meat that could just make it even more tender. 

But I'm no scientist. I just eat lots of meat and find myself pondering. 

2 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

I concur.   I purchase meat when it goes on a good sale so buy more than I can use quickly (as protein tends to be very pricey here for the most part) and I also find that pre-seasoning and then freezing really "marinates" and help the flavours permeate as well.  Also very convenient with sous-vide as I can go right from freezer to sous-vide pot with a lot of things....

I don't notice any change in texture etc.