RRL2

1st kamado got the PBk24

Well ended up getting this PB k24 from costco as a wedding gift from my parents.... Finally getting to join the party instead of watching from the sidelines! 

This is a new 2018 model from costco.  I havent fully assembled it yet as I need a helping hand to get it on the stand and wasnt about to ask my prego wife lol,  but it did have the gasket/felt on the top chimney part however I did notice the sliding doors on the bottom are still loose so well see if I need to seal those up or not. 

Ive also noticed they added felt around the stand where the kamado sits, didnt see any pictures of previous models having that either.

After seeing a few posts about issues I looked over all the main points and everything seems well put together, visually the lid seems to lines up, the bands seem tight (though they do say after the 1st heat cycle they may need to be tightened again) and have read I should check them every few cooks which isn't an issue for me.

I know costco version has the plastic side tables compared to other places still getting the version with the bamboo / wood.  I did not expect the plastic handle and side tables to be as heavy duty as they are, not cheap hollow plastic.

Hopefully I get some time and a helping hand tonight so I can season / break in this thing!

OBoHe7T.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase you will enjoy cooking on it.

A couple of things  I have noticed after a few cooks 

Make sure you tighten up the rotary vent on the lid there is a screw in the middle that was very loose on mine.

You may find the bottom vent sliders will seal better after your first burn and clean out. Mine seem to  be sealed now as some ash has filled any air leaks after I cleaned out the bottom. 

I'm really pleased with my 2018 pit boss I'm sure you will be as well. 

Congrats

I hope you have better luck than I.  I'm interested if your screws that are used to hold on the handle are firmly attached to the metal band.

Thanks for the heads up on the top lip  I'll check that for sure. And yeah I read before doing any mods to do a cook or two as the res n what not can seal up minor stuff.

Phrede   nothing was loose on mine.  handle is tight  non of the bolts spun when I tightened the nut. Lid seems to sit straight. Haven't had a chance to do my 1st burn yet.  been busy sucks...

Actually I did notice one of my shelves sits a little high and not 100% straight but I'm just going to tweak the mount down to correct that down the road if it ends up bothering me

Great!  You are doing much better than I did.  I was 2 for 2 with loose screws.  I've decided to move on.  Currently looking at a Vision Diamond cut B series with ash drawer.

Before buying the PB heat deflector, look at some of the DIY options here.  Not sure if you're interested in them.  I was not happy with the way the PB deflector is designed.  Way too high.

Enjoy your kamado.

Yea I agree on the heat deflector 100%   sitting too high I'll learn my ways around it and maybe mod my own if I dislike it that much.  I know one person did his own on here.  so far everything I noticed that could be better I was ready for reading reviews on here.

I was torn between the vision and this one.

The end all for me was pb coming with deflector and cover as Costco comes with everything ready to go from the get go.

20180407_160847.jpg

Congrats!  They always have had felt on top and the stand.  The problem with the felt on top is that there isn't always enough.  It is an easy and cheap fix if needed.

Congrats on your new PB!

I bought the Onlyfire brand of gasket material from Amazon, $11.59 for 15 feet of 1 inch wide.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR7PZC5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put a strip around the inside of the vent top, that worked well.

Also put some on the bottom vent door, but need to remove it since the fit is just too tight.

Thanks for the link.

Well it held at 205f consistently for the break in.  but only had 2 handful of coals in it. Well see how it maintains with a fuller firebowl on my cook hopefully tomorrow

Well did a half bowl of coal and couldn't keep temps below 350. Even with both top and bottom vent fully closed.  didn't let it go hotter or anything and tried to play catch up. Though I did open it 2-3 times within a few hours to turn the potatoes

Didn't see any smoke coming from middle seal  so prob need to better seal bottom and too vent I'm assuming. Doubt I'll have much coal left from the cook.   I shut it down around 430pm   I just checked it at 830pm and it was still floating around 180f from 350

Not sure if that's the norm?

Mine would not shut down in stock form, until it ran out of fuel.  It took about 30 minutes and a couple dollars worth of nomex to fix it completely.  My intake slider is now stiff, but it does not leak at all.  Have to wonder, after 2 years, why Danson's has not addressed this issue.

AH ok good to know! I noticed it burned all the fuel I put in... when I had checke

Im about to go buy some gasket... no idea on brand yet as im just heading to a local BBQ store on lunch time so well see what they have. Hopefully some nomex but I got my doubts...   Going to add another layer around chimney for the hell of it and do the bottom vent.

Hopefully that cures it.  May have to do the bill test with the halves if that doesnt do the trick

Picked up some nomex gasket.

Noticed the BGE one is a lot thinner then the KJ one so got the KJ version as it looks roughly the same width as the PB.

They where damn steep on the gasket prices though!   36.99 or so for a roll!  and even looking at the lump coal wheeeweee $$$$$

Did burgers today  no mod yet...  held temps way better  but didn't stack as much coal which could of made the difference.

I did the paper bill test how right should it be?  I felt tension but it was much lighter in the front then the back.

Doubled up the gasket on the top vent fits pretty tight didn't even bother putting back the screws as there's no way it's falling out alone.

Also did lower vent. Got some mixed opinion on that one.   it makes the sliding vents really tight and I even trimmed the heck out of the gasket to make it thin.

Added some rvt high temp liquid gasket around the bottom plate and also added gasket around the inside of the ceramic of the bottom vent (non on the bottom so I can still scrape out the ash)

Not sure if this is excessive  but I still see light seeping through between the vent slides when I flash a flashlight at it in the dark