RRL2

1st kamado got the PBk24

Even if you preheat your cooker before placing the brisket,  a giant hunk of cold meat will drive your dome temp gauge lower than the cook grate temps.

If you open the vents to get back to target temp, the cook grate will be too hot.

I think inverting the diffuser and cooking as high in the dome as possible is the sweet set up.

15 hours ago, m-fine said:

Spritzing does nothing of value. The main impact is to increase evaporative cooling and slow the cook.  Don’t waste your time, this has been tested over and over.  If you are going to wrap with broth, you might as well make braised brisket in your oven. It can be good, but it isn’t Texas style smoked brisket. 

There is is no need to wrap in a Kamado style cooker unless you are cooking hot and fast (over 300) and need to protect the bark from over cooking/burning.  I would definitely not recommend that approach for a brisket beginner.  In a stick burner with MUCH higher airflow wrapping can help maintain moisture while sacrificing bark texture a bit but even there it is far from necessary. If you need to wrap to keep it moist you have a bigger issue. 

Not in my experience. 

In my pit boss, if I don’t spritz, and I don’t wrap with some liquid over the top, my brisket bark gets so dry and tough you can’t cut through it. 

Believe it it or not, your meat will absorb some liquid when you spritz. I showed my wife when I did beef ribs. When the ribs were done, I gave a single light spritz on top. You could literally watch the bark suck in the moisture. 

16 hours ago, Chasdev said:

Even if you preheat your cooker before placing the brisket,  a giant hunk of cold meat will drive your dome temp gauge lower than the cook grate temps.

If you open the vents to get back to target temp, the cook grate will be too hot.

I think inverting the diffuser and cooking as high in the dome as possible is the sweet set up.

The meat sat on the counter for about 40 mins while I was prepping everything and waiting for the kamado to get up to proper temps/ heat soaked.  It was -22C that morning so it took quite some time before everything was warmed up.

As for spritzing, I duno how I would go about it.  when your 6+ hours into a cook when you open that lid the temp spikes are pretty darn harsh and takes a good while to get back down.  I've closed the vents 5-10 mins before i plan on opening the lid to help prevent spikes in temps before but yea.

I usually have a good idea of where the vents need to be for X temps.  for a 200-250 cook  lower vent is adjusted to the 1st set of holes and the top vent is set a  touch before the 1.   it hovered at 200 for about 3 hours then went up to 220 ish.   I threw in the brisket when the dome was warm to touch on the outside and both grate temp and dome temp where showing 200F. +/- a couple F. between the two but yea.

I just spoke with my buddys dad that has 2 BGE's hes had for the past 10+ years and also said his best briskets were always wrapped too which i know is a little different then what a lot of people recommend

time for a little revive...

past few cooks ive done.. finally manage to cook a brisket right on the kamado too which is nice 

ie9tPXP.jpg

l98BEKY.jpg

eNtoQjp.jpg?1

not on the kamado... but i'd say low and slow still counts! 

NQSlOQU.jpg

ive def been cooking lots on the kamado but I find the best turn out / challenge ive had this far was definitely the brisket.  

otherwise everything else is more so just trying diff rubs / add ons. 

didnt take any pictures but also did a twice smoke raw ham bone in couple weeks back that was a huge hit with the fam. 

another brisket i had done...  turned out awesome.    did a few new cooks on it too but more so forgetting to snap quick pics before it gets eaten .

VZLoCCW.jpg?2

best ribs yet....  with time ive found that I prefer my ribs with some pull over having them "fall off the bone" as I find i may as well just make pulled pork if I want fall off the bone pork. 

I also find doing singles is the way to go!  its a pork chicken wing!   nice crisp bark all around with tender juicy meat in the middle.  good pull but the meat will come clean off the bone.

NzP01mj.jpg

TfhFWOL.jpg