• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
ckreef

WFO Installation Thread

Flipped the breaker off on the pond electricity. Dug up the wire, reconfigured it a bit then reburied it. Made a couple of temporary connections so I could turn the pond back on. There will be an outdoor electrical outlet/box at each of those posts. Won't install the electrical boxes until the very end. 

NEa.thumb.jpg.cac93933fb05bbfaf32dc5a267f1fd84.jpg

22 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Looking good!  Glad to see the project is being well supervised!  

I’m definitely not brave enough to play with electricity....  but would love to have a pond one day. 

She maybe supervising but she also took to the shovel and filled in the holes I had dug :)

The pond is way kewl. This will be the third summer. 3 large goldfish healthy as can be. If you search under my name there are a couple of posts documenting the pond installation. 

Charles just an observation on your outdoor power.  Two questions 1. Are you setting it up as a GFCI circuit?  If not you should really consider doing it.  2. I noticed you posted 14/2 wire, is that going to supply enough amperage to run what you desire?  Assuming your supplying your pond and outdoor receptacles, 14/2 is only good for up to 15A up to 100' according to NEC code,

12/2 is good for 20A.

I had to remember you are 110V over there. We only run 10A or 15A domestic circuits here, but on 230V. What are the rules like over there. Here, you can't even look sideways at anything mains voltage without a certified electrician.

@TKOBBQ there is a GFCI installed at the pond. I'll move it to the closest position to the electrical feed when I do the final install. 

My pond is a small goldfish pond (140 gallons total?). The pump doesn't draw much. Currently it's the only thing on this 15A circuit. Other than that maybe a light or two out by the pizza oven. I don't have any real plans for additional electrical appliances out there. Want the outlets just in case. Total length of run from the circuit breaker is only about 75'.

But I do appreciate your concern and thoughts/ideas. 

2 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

I had to remember you are 110V over there. We only run 10A or 15A domestic circuits here, but on 230V. What are the rules like over there. Here, you can't even look sideways at anything mains voltage without a certified electrician.

I live in a county that has almost no codes or permits.

My sister lives in Florida. She is like you, has to get a permit just to reset a breaker (not exactly but close). She had to get a permit just to replace a broken window in her house (remind me to never move to FL). Of course that's what she gets for living in a state with no state income taxes. High sales taxes and permits for everything. They have to get their money somehow. 

43 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I live in a county that has almost no codes or permits.

My sister lives in Florida. She is like you, has to get a permit just to reset a breaker (not exactly but close). She had to get a permit just to replace a broken window in her house (remind me to never move to FL). Of course that's what she gets for living in a state with no state income taxes. High sales taxes and permits for everything. They have to get their money somehow. 

We live in a real nanny state. It's even illegal to do your own data cabling if it is going to be attached to an outside network. You can do your own low voltage stuff. Our's seems to be more around maintaining jobs for tradies rather than direct revenue generation for the government, although the pad of certificates for data cabling is not cheap! I believe, at least in a couple of states here, it is technically illegal to change a tap washer.