ckreef

WFO Installation Thread

26 minutes ago, landscaper said:

IFun part for me cause I will get to enjoy this with my love for years to come. 

In life.....that's all that matters. 

The simple things.  

Absolutely

I got a couple of new accessories for the WFO. The first one is not really new just repurposed into a new accessory. I cut my old pizza peel down. It is now a coal rake/ash scoop. 

WFOAk.thumb.jpg.d0431d921228804426bb2e58db60e191.jpg

My second accessory is a remote temperature gauge. It came with an analog gauge in celsius that the people who sells these ovens fully admits it's a piece of crap. 

WFOAa.thumb.jpg.034642e2f25519474a7d71367b0760a8.jpg

When you pull out the gauge there is a brass tube that runs to the inside of the oven. 

WFOAb.thumb.jpg.d18ae7fe1af45b1b08d445fa0e1316da.jpg

That tube sticks out on the inside of the oven by about 1 1/4". Looking at the length of the temperature gauge the thickness of that front wall is about 10 1/2"

WFOAc.thumb.jpg.9db15f097df6d15dc5daf14f2bda2a8d.jpg

That is being replaced by a ThermoQ Bluetooth version with a high temperature flexible ceramic probe rated up to 2,200*f. It is 10' in length. 

WFOAd.thumb.jpg.85a8a25a978e6f910f43e43afdb69ca3.jpg

Here is the installation of this unit. At some point in the future I might shrink wrap the cable in black or gray. 

WFOAe.thumb.jpg.1f4cac8e57e6aa88bbe9a3bbdb9e5e75.jpg

WFOAf.thumb.jpg.40191fc022a6e016051238bdf0f0cc7e.jpg

WFOAg.thumb.jpg.1e30d628ad9d5346a48567dbb72cf896.jpg

WFOAh.thumb.jpg.84ee4f7c341c06ee4d2637f73d52420a.jpg

This is Bluetooth connected to a tablet. The Bluetooth range easily reaches the porch where I sit. It'll reach into the house but not quit to the kitchen counter. This is the live probe display. Of course I had to start a small fire to test it out ;)

WFOAi.thumb.jpg.5406d9a435378e860824e5a89c8209a9.jpg

It also has a graph mode. At around 9 minutes I pushed the fire to the side and added more wood. At about 18 minutes I once again added more wood. Since I wasn't cooking anything I didn't want to waste any more wood so I just let it ride at that point. 

WFOAj.thumb.jpg.1517ecdb53e58d8b65fb11a7b2bd8f89.jpg

Very, very pleased with this purchase. This is basically waterproof and built like a tank. It can accommodate 2 probes and has a wide selection of probes. It's not cheap but worth every penny. 

@Ckreef, might I suggest a slack loop on the cable so that rain water cannot not run directly toward your ThermoQ but will drop to the ground as in this horrible pic. I am living and cooking vicariously through your posts. :-D

image.png.4748fea657f51d876e85c56b952012b9.png

The way the TetmoQ sits in that shelf, it (and most of the probe wire) doesn't get rained on. During this short burn we had our first test of this idea as a thunderstorm rolled through in the middle of the burn. Also I remove the ThermoQ and put it in my storage bin when not in use. 

With that said your advice is generally a good idea. 

Two new tools for the WFO. To the left is my original XLong gloves. To the right is my new XXLong gloves. Much better length and fit. Also a good bit more insulation. 

newta.thumb.jpg.f60745c96a8d1f72914f240429103790.jpg

The metal piece above is my custom made coal barrier. My WFO has an inside diameter of 30". It sounds big but in the world of WFO's it's not. Once you have a nice big bed of glowing coals the edge of a 12"-14" pizza is fairly close to the coals. This causes the edge to cook faster than the top and bottom forcing you to constantly turn the pie or have a burnt edge (I've had burnt edges). With the coal barrier you put it in the oven just before launching pies. Put it up close to the coals so it acts as a barrier between the coals and the pizza. This should result in the pizza cooking  from the top and bottom without the edge burning so quickly. That's the theory anyway. We’ll see what happens this weekend. 

4 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Where does a person even find something like that????  Never seen anything like them before.

http://www.blackstallion.com/products/gloves/gs1321-bg-detail.html

Black Stallion GS1321-BG-L Large Stick Welding Gloves 21" With Restpat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YHX2II8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yHMnBbS4BS3DC

2 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Where does a person even find something like that????  Never seen anything like them before.

The blue gloves are just super nice (and XXLong) stick welding gloves. With shipping $33 on the internet. 

The metal coal barrier idea I got off of a WFO accessory website. They had them for sale but not the right size. Went to Lowes bought a 3" x 36" piece of steel for $15. Cut it down to 24" then put it in a vise and made the appropriate bends. Easy, cheap experiment.