kamadø

Kamado Joe Classic II - Stainless Cart KJ-SST

Hello!

New to the forum, and wanted to share something I did with those that may be interested. First thing I noticed is that tables and carts for Kamado grills are not cheap. I did some hunting around online and found a stainless table I liked for a good price, Kamado Joe's KJ-SST, only to then learn it would not fit the Classic II because of the new air lift hinge. Well, I wasn't giving up yet, as I felt there had to be a way to make this work. I found measurements for the table and began brainstorming. My first thoughts were to cut slits in the rear of the table to allow the hinge frame to fit since it didn't need a ton of clearance to begin with, but decided even though I wouldn't of had to cut all the way through the rear of the table, it still would of been weak, and the table is open in the rear below the table top. Started looking at the hinge, and noticed there is a lot of excessive material in the black frame. After feeling good about my measurements, I decided to order the table. I took some final measurements once the table arrived, and determined where I would need to cut the hinge frame to keep the grill pretty much centered and 1 inch off the bottom for airflow. I took the plunge and cut out my measured sections of the hinge frame with a hacksaw, then filed sanded and repainted the edges. Overall went very well, and the pieces I removed from the frame had zero affect on the hinge performance or strength. I have included pictures of the results, and can regather measurements to those that may be interested in doing the same. I bought the table on Amazon for $399, which is a great deal compared to prices of other tables, and wanted to let others know this can be done. Best addition to my KJ Classic II so far. Happy grilling!

Resized_20180325_190609_8078.jpeg

Resized_20180325_190748_449.jpeg

Resized_20180325_190835_4708.jpeg

1 hour ago, BT3100FS said:

Nice looking table. Not sure I would alter the hinge, though...

No doubt it looks great. I guess I'd hope at this point that there was no actual engineering involved in the design of that hinge.

11 hours ago, BT3100FS said:

Nice looking table. Not sure I would alter the hinge, though...

If you go look at the hinge, you will see that the material I removed is definitely just excess. I have had this hinge completely apart, so have learned the ins and outs of it, and is much bigger than it needs to be for the basis of operation. This is "generation 1" of the air lift hinge, and I can just about guarantee the Classic III will have a much more efficient design in hinge parts and frame. LOVE this grill though and this hinge, and I feel KJ is many steps ahead of BGE in terms of forthcoming kamado development.

4 hours ago, kamadø said:

If you go look at the hinge, you will see that the material I removed is definitely just excess. I have had this hinge completely apart, so have learned the ins and outs of it, and is much bigger than it needs to be for the basis of operation. This is "generation 1" of the air lift hinge, and I can just about guarantee the Classic III will have a much more efficient design in hinge parts and frame. LOVE this grill though and this hinge, and I feel KJ is many steps ahead of BGE in terms of forthcoming kamado development.

Oh, I totally agree that the hinge looks over-engineered, and likely your mod will have no impact on operation.

Again, I certainly hope it isn't the result of engineering and just one of fabrication- which may be the case. But, if it is in fact engineered, there is no such thing as excess material or of simply the hinge looking over-engineered. It would not be as much an issue of 'basis of operation' rather, one of stress and distribution of those stresses. I have not examined it closely so, I am just reacting to the sight of the cutting.

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Again, I certainly hope it isn't the result of engineering and just one of fabrication- which may be the case. But, if it is in fact engineered, there is no such thing as excess material or of simply the hinge looking over-engineered. It would not be as much an issue of 'basis of operation' rather, one of stress and distribution of those stresses. I have not examined it closely so, I am just reacting to the sight of the cutting.

Not sure why you are getting into the technicalities of terms used or trying to dive in deeply, but however you want to describe it,  the hinge frame/enclosure has excess material. If someone wants to say it "looks over-engineered" as a description of opinion with the understanding of how something works, then I believe yes, you can say it that way. Everything is engineered to an extent, but I believe design is the word to use here. It was engineered to make lifting and closing the lid much easier and safer, and it has fully succeeded in doing that. The design is excessive in my opinion, and is what I cut into.