New Kamado Big Joe II, Going For A 4 Rack Rib Cook This Weekend. Help!

13 minutes ago, Krazystang said:

Thanks for the info! These will most likely be baby backs. :-)

On a side note, I do plan on moving the Kamado out a few feet during hotter cooks, however I was wondering if it is ok to have the Kamado Joe just on the ceramic feet on top of the wood.  I noticed some people put granite or firebrick underneath. But then I've also read that granite or firebrick might make more of on issue?  I"m thinking of testing it with a thermometer gun during a high heat cook. Thoughts?

Myself I would put a piece of granite down and then put the grill on the ceramic feet. Best of both worlds, you already have the feet and I don't like the bottom sitting on something without an air gap.

Biggest tip for new Kamado cookers: Do not touch the vents, just dont. do. it. 
So here's what I mean:
Say you want to cook a pork butt,  so you opt for either  low n slow at 225-270 range or hot n fast 275-325. Lets say today you decided to go for low n slow. and you have lots of time so you decided to go to the lower end of the spectrum (225). 

So you fire up the grill, everything wide open, get the fire established, then start shutting everything down to get dialed in....
bottom vent will be approximately an inch wide and the top vent on the daisy wheel will be 1/4-1/2 hole open (Im not familiar with then new top vent) .... regardless the temp ends up settling at say 230 on the Thermometer. Perfect, leave it, its close enough. Now you let the fire go for 30-60 mins and it hasnt moved even an smidge on the thermometer so you know the grill is ready to go. Now you throw your pork butt on and the watch the temp drop to 190 degrees.... and it stays there... and stays there.... and continues to stay there. You are going to be wildly tempted to touch a vent to get that temp back up to 225. Don't you do it, don't you dare touch those vent settings. It may take 5 more mins or 4 hours but itll come back up the original temp you set it at. A couple things, you opening the lid and placing a large heat sink in the cook chamber caused the temp to drop but the fire is still the same fire. You are still getting the same air in and the same air out... it'll come around, give it time. 
So really nice setup you have there. I love the table, its on my list of things I need to do.  That list is about a mile long. Congrats on the new purchases and welcome to the club. 

22 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Well everyone has given you great advice so far, I have nothing to add.

Great looking backyard setup you have, is the patio stamped concrete or individual paving stones?

Thanks!

The patio is Paver stones. Techo Bloc Blu 60 ( I believe ).  We almost went stamped concrete, but decided against it.

22 hours ago, 01lowbird said:

Biggest tip for new Kamado cookers: Do not touch the vents, just dont. do. it. 
So here's what I mean:
Say you want to cook a pork butt,  so you opt for either  low n slow at 225-270 range or hot n fast 275-325. Lets say today you decided to go for low n slow. and you have lots of time so you decided to go to the lower end of the spectrum (225). 

So you fire up the grill, everything wide open, get the fire established, then start shutting everything down to get dialed in....
bottom vent will be approximately an inch wide and the top vent on the daisy wheel will be 1/4-1/2 hole open (Im not familiar with then new top vent) .... regardless the temp ends up settling at say 230 on the Thermometer. Perfect, leave it, its close enough. Now you let the fire go for 30-60 mins and it hasnt moved even an smidge on the thermometer so you know the grill is ready to go. Now you throw your pork butt on and the watch the temp drop to 190 degrees.... and it stays there... and stays there.... and continues to stay there. You are going to be wildly tempted to touch a vent to get that temp back up to 225. Don't you do it, don't you dare touch those vent settings. It may take 5 more mins or 4 hours but itll come back up the original temp you set it at. A couple things, you opening the lid and placing a large heat sink in the cook chamber caused the temp to drop but the fire is still the same fire. You are still getting the same air in and the same air out... it'll come around, give it time. 
So really nice setup you have there. I love the table, its on my list of things I need to do.  That list is about a mile long. Congrats on the new purchases and welcome to the club. 

This is fantastic!

Thanks for the info and the warm welcome.

I may literally do the above exactly this weekend. :-) Probably going to smoke at 250 degrees. I feel this is a safe starting point.

20 hours ago, Krazystang said:

On another note: Will i be able to fit 4 racks of ribs on the Big Joe?  (I'm looking at most likely picking up Baby Backs)

Or should i buy a vertical rib holder just in case?

Get ya a rib rack, it just makes it easier with 3+ racks. 
And they are cheap 10-15 bucks.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:16 PM, Krazystang said:

On another note: Will i be able to fit 4 racks of ribs on the Big Joe?  (I'm looking at most likely picking up Baby Backs)

Or should i buy a vertical rib holder just in case?

3 Racks fit easily.  I feel that you may be able to figure out a way to make 4 fit but it would be tight.

I would use my second level if I needed 4.  (I got the Grilla Grills Kong Upper Grate and it works well.  https://store.grillagrills.com/collections/kong/products/upper-grate-1)

You'll probably want to get a rib rack or second level rack.  

3 fit on my Big Joe but 4 would be tight. Might try cutting one rack in half. I agree 4 -5 hours is too long. I’ve found on mine when the dome temp reads 260-265 the grate temp is 290-300 and the baby backs are done in 3 hours. Of course I wrap mine in foil after 2 hours for an hour and add a 1/2 cup of red wine so that might affect the total time. 

Good luck and good grilling!

On April 11, 2018 at 10:10 AM, Krazystang said:

Thanks!

The patio is Paver stones. Techo Bloc Blu 60 ( I believe ).  We almost went stamped concrete, but decided against it.

Who made your table?  It's pretty nice.