• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
BBQAdventures

Kamado Joe Joetisserie Pork Shoulder

Kamado Joe Joetisserie Pork Shoulder

Since my last couple of attempts were less than a perfect success. I have been busting to try again and get the crackling right. The last couple of times, Two Pork Roasts, Pork Belly proved that crackle on a Kamado can be difficult for the beginner. I was now armed with a lot more information (YouTube, Forums, FB groups etc.) and also have the Joetisserie to help get things done right.

Woolworths had some good looking product, and the price wasn’t too offensive, so a Pork Shoulder was my next attempt.

My main objective, get the crackling right and in my mind justify the cost of the Joetisserie. Following all the normal handy advice with regards to getting crackle. Dry the skin, salt, refrigerate uncovered etc. I was prepped and ready to go.

A side note – another awesome use for the Ozito electric fire starter – pork skin drier!! Works a treat. I have also since seen another hack where a similar device is used at the end of the cook to get that amazing popcorn style crackle, will definitely give that a go next time.

This cook was one of the simplest in terms of adding anything to the meat, it was literally just salt and oil. Letting the natural flavour shine, with the addition of the charcoal kiss. My fire management during the last cook was not up to scratch and I learnt a lot, that’s what this is all about. Trial and error.

Setting up the Kamado for this Joetisserie cook, I was very conscious of how I set up the fire and where to place the coals etc. I did not want the fire to get to large and I needed it to remain banked up one side of the Kamado, allowing the best chance for the crackle to shine. I also chose to not add any smoke wood, as the colour of the last one was quite dark and kind of detracted from the finished dish. I really like the golden colour of crackle.

Other than the initial setup there was not a lot to this one, simply monitor the fire and let the Joetisserie do its thing.

3 hrs and internal temp around 62,  later it was ready to rest.

The end product turned out magnificent.

Super tasty, super juicy and that crackle was to die for! Even my youngest (5yr old) now loves crackle.

Joe On !!

&thumbnail=1&thumbnail=1&thumbnail=1&thumbnail=1&thumbnail=1&thumbnail=1&thumbnail=1