Chicken Shawarma on the Red Kettle!

In a reply to shuley, when I introduce my new Red Kettle, I stated “I use the kettle mostly for fast grilling style cooks (Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Carne Asada, shrimp) So I haven't really tried to control the temperature to much” Well I decided to try a longer cook and see how it held a temperature.

Chicken is my wife’s favorite and I like to mix it up so for this Kettle Experiment I went with Chicken Shawarma. Started out the night before making some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)
40595321245_cb4c26b77b_z.jpg

2 cups Greek yogurt
1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
salt, pepper, to taste

Here is the grated cucumber that I tossed with the salt.

39680169560_d8cba1a765_z.jpg

The salt leaches out the liquid from the cucumber that I rung out using a flour sack towel.

39680172540_e05b016b16_z.jpg

Here’s the yogurt, the lemon and the minced mint ready to be mixed together with the garlic and cucumber.

40595327825_ceee550885_z.jpg

The next day I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:

40775816564_bc02cac1d5_z.jpg

39680079530_6494a7fe22_z.jpg

1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt

5 cloves of garlic
¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. of olive oil
2 tbsp. of ketchup

1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika

½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
½ teaspoon cardamon
½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Everybody in the pool

40775469164_a9290ff06b_z.jpg

and then thoroughly mixed.

40775478434_e3b8ec0a33_z.jpg

I then broke out the boneless / skinless chicken thighs I got that were on sale.

41488529511_4507b913c5_z.jpg

I cleaned these up and then cut most of them in half but some were larger so they were cut in thirds.

27617275928_4310bc57af_z.jpg

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

39680101640_04850d9d20_z.jpg

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.

39680182760_c9799e61d7_z.jpg

One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans

1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon

1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)

Half of a large garlic clove, minced

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving

1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

2 to 3 tablespoons water

Dash of ground paprika for serving

Here is the start of the blending process.

41488668301_bb152c550c_z.jpg

Then some Persian Rice.
41489114521_c11c6ee321_z.jpg

2 cups of basmati rice
3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
2 tbsp of butter
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cumin
Kosher salt and pepper

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

27617839688_19669b3449_z.jpg

27617421698_df49965d69_z.jpg

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill. I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices.

27617283168_a8cae666d3_z.jpg

and placed them on the grill.

27617292688_8cd5f7766e_z.jpg

My new Red Kettle was cruising along at 350 and stayed within 10 degrees of that for the entire 75 minutes of this cook.

39680117000_dfc12dd44f_z.jpg

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

40595264315_00b280c15a_z.jpg

After a while I moved them over the coals so I could develop some char that Shawarma should have.

40595271905_0906783062_z.jpg

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, Olives, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

26617385597_2c87848287_b.jpg

39680142790_b757087f33_b.jpg

26617378637_63e166955e_b.jpg

So Good! My wife and company loved everything.

Thanks for looking.

Oh my goodness, this looks fantastic!  Inredible job, DerHusker!  Mediterranean is some of my favorite food, and you made an amazing looking homemade rendition.  I think I'm going to save this thread and try it out for myself.

I didn't see an ingrediants list for the Mediterranean Tomato Salad.  Mind sharing that?  Looks like tomatoes, cucumbers, a bell pepper, and I'm not sure what your green "herb" mixes were at the front of the cutting board...

On 4/16/2018 at 9:39 AM, Jack 101 said:

As a friend of ours says, "Outstanding".  :woot::woot:

Thank you Jack. My wife and guests pretty much said the same thing.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:37 AM, Smoke and Awe said:

I mean, just WOW!  What a feast not only for the tummy but for the eyes!  Always fun to cook for company, but you set the bar waaay up there.

Thank you Gerri. I love this recipe for chicken shawarma and the other items just really make this meal pop.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:42 AM, MD_Ag said:

The shawarma challenge was months ago, but I'd like to change my vote anyway.

Thank you MD_Ag. I made almost the exact same plate for the Shawarma Challenge and didn't win. Maybe you can talk to ckreef and retroactively change your vote, although I still wouldn't win. :oops:

On 4/16/2018 at 12:46 PM, gotzero said:

Yum!

I hope it comes up again now that I have a rotisserie and know where to buy 10lb gyro cones!

Thank you gotzero. Shawarma is different than gyro so I'm not sure what you have in mind for that.

On 4/16/2018 at 1:38 PM, shuley said:

What a feast.  Your friends are lucky. 

Thank you shuley.

3 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

I bet all enjoyed your feast, it looks great.

Thank you Ted.

2 hours ago, zero said:

Oh my goodness, this looks fantastic!  Inredible job, DerHusker!  Mediterranean is some of my favorite food, and you made an amazing looking homemade rendition.  I think I'm going to save this thread and try it out for myself.

I didn't see an ingrediants list for the Mediterranean Tomato Salad.  Mind sharing that?  Looks like tomatoes, cucumbers, a bell pepper, and I'm not sure what your green "herb" mixes were at the front of the cutting board...

Thank you zero. The Mediterranean Tomato Salad is a mix of Tomato, Cucumber, Parsley, Mint, Feta cheese and what ever else you want to include. In this version I had some orange bell pepper I included. Last time I made it I included some red onion. You could include both or something else. The following amounts are approximate as I never measure them:

1 medium / large red tomato

1 cup chopped grape tomatoes (I use anything other than red to add color)

1 cup chopped Cucumber

1 cup minced Parsley

1 cup minced Mint

1/2 to 3/4 cup Feta cheese (to taste)

3/4 cup red / orange / yellow bell pepper or red onion or both.

I don't do this but if you want to add some lemon juice and / or EVOO that's up to you. (I don't feel it's necessary)

27617839688_19669b3449_z.jpg