Sign in to follow this  
JC33

Kontrol Tower-vent top paint issues corrected?

Hello...My 2nd Kontrol Tower has had the same issue as the first, the paint bubbling & coming off.  Kamado Joe has been just fine to deal with, in terms of sending an email to customer service, getting a reply and then getting a new replacement.  In fact, they are sending a new one to me again now.  However, I have asked them a couple of times in my emails if they can let me know how the new replacement tower had changed...basically, what the difference is.  They are not replying at all to that question, so I'm wondering if the Kontrol Tower has been improved at all, or if I am just getting the same exact part again.  

Does anyone have any knowledge or insight into this?  Just curious...

Thanks,

JC

I had mine replaced at the end of the summer for this issue.  It certainly appeared as though the paint was different; it was a more flat black.

I have been lazy about grilling during the winter, though, and have only done a couple of cooks.  No problems so far.

14 minutes ago, iTPhoenix said:

I have been lazy about grilling during the winter, though, and have only done a couple of cooks.  No problems so far.

Isn't Arizona where all the snow birders go so they can have good weather and garden and grill through the winter?

I've seen a number of people post theyre on their 2nd or 3rd tower and the paint is still and issue

I have a replacement from Dec of 2017 but I'm yet to use it

I just wire brush my tower before use and its all good.

I plan to sandblast all the paint off the peeling tower at some stage and then give it a polish on a buffing wheel.

I'm keeping the replacement tower in its box in case I make a hash of the blasting

This is a little late , had the same top vent problem, KJ sent replacement on 12/6/2018. The new tower had the same paint issue as the old tower. The paint blistered and i was concerned paint flakes might fall on the food so i used 220 grit sandpaper to remove all the paint that had  blistered.   

After the third top vent had the same problems, I filed a complaint and demanded such top ven that won't drip paint on the food. KJ offered me an option to get the older version from KJ PRO, stainless steel...

image.png

30 minutes ago, Jaka said:

After the third top vent had the same problems, I filed a complaint and demanded such top ven that won't drip paint on the food. KJ offered me an option to get the older version from KJ PRO, stainless steel...

image.png

Those are pretty but they won't stay where you set them when you open the lid.  Just like the plain original models.

Well I have 4 top vents, two with the paint issue, one shiny that doesnt stay where I set it and one on my new Primo Oval, that I just bought as a second grill,  because I couldn't fix that paint issue and main gasket faling off. And the only store in Slovenija that sells KJ refused to sell me KJ Classic III, because the owner took my reclamations personaly. He literary wrote me 5 mail responses, that I should choose another brand, sicnce I am obviously not pleased witht the quality of KJ. That is of corse not true at all, I was trying to return KJ Classic II, which is my right and he agreed, and I than wanted to buy and pay the difference for Classic III. Hoping that the issues were gone. He didn't want to sell me new grill, so I wrote to Gil in UK if I can order it directly from KJ. He didn'r respond nither. So I was left with the only remaining option to claim the exchange for the whole new item, whole grill, for the trird time again with KJ Classic II. So one of those vents and grills will have to do it. Or combirantion of all of them :).