Bgosnell151

Smash burgers- first attempt

Hard to do smash burgers in a skillet like that I think.  They still look pretty good, though! ;)

Give it another try.  You really have to smash them good and get that crust to get the right effect.  I put the ball on the griddle and don't touch it for about 30 seconds, enough to get the start of a crust at the point of contact.  I then roll it over and smash the heck out of it.  That little bit of browned burger from the underside of the ball before I rolled it seems to help the spatula release... but that could just be my imagination. :)  

And don't mess with them or turn them too soon.  Sometimes I like to flip into a pile of carmelized onions after the initial side sears and I flip them.  then just press lightly enough to embed the onions in the burger, no hard smashing on that second side.

@Bgosnell151

Yer off to a good start.  A couple of things.. it's hard to do two in a cast iron pan.  To get these things to become what they can become, you need to start out with a loosely formed ball of ground beef.  You set that on your flat surface and press it down with a spatula or other type of press directly onto the hot surface.  This makes a good flat contact surface for forming that crust.

I found a cast pan would fine with a press you were just limited on space. I mostly do this with a griddle and cook 8-16 at a time.

I use 2oz balls and smash them until they are about a quarter inch thick. They shrink and thicken a tiny bit when they cook. 

That process gives me the diner texture I remember growing up with the far superior meat I use and it is divine. Put a piece of cheese between two patties and it perfect.

We like them ultra smashed https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html

I haven't tried the trowel, but it looks convenient to smash two at the same time. I usually cut a small piece of parchment to place on top of the ball while I smash; it helps keep the meat from sticking to the spatula.

This is you're friend. No need for a burger press, just get a good spatula and use a pair of tongs to push down on the blade. That will flatten them out perfectly. Make a loosely packed round ball of 80/20 ground beef and you're all set;

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-P14P3-Seasoned-Baking-Pizza/dp/B0000E2V3X

Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 12.21.19 PM.png

I use a spatula and a metal bench scraper. Put the spatula on the meat, then put the scraper so that it is perpendicular to the spatula and press straight down. It gives me a lot of leverage and consistent press.

And the bench scraper can then be used to scrape up the patty and keep the crust with it.