Cavman

Pork Butt Steaks

First time I ever tried this. Cut up a bone in Butt, 2 roast and 3 supersized steaks out of a 9 lb butt. Grilled them with some dry rub & bbq sauce. OMG how have I missed this all these years. Soooo good! Best pork I have ever ate.

Congrats, you've discovered what folks in the St Louis area have been grilling up since the 1950's.

The National Pork Board says 4.35 millions pounds of pork steaks were sold here from Feb. 2016, to Feb. 2017.

I've cooked them low and slow until tender, and the traditional StL way, hot and fast then simmered in a bath of bbq sauce, with or without beer added. (to the sauce that is :))

Butts go on sale here during the summer holidays for as low as $0.89/lb.

Sold whole or sliced into steaks.

I cooked them hot and fast on direct heat. I did overcook them but they were still so good. Everything I read on it was 10 min per side. I checked after 6 min at 500 hood temp and turned them had already hit 180 internal temp after another 3 minutes and I pulled them. I hit the with KC's habanero honey bbq sauce on both sides and salt pepper garlic powder and smokey mesquite seasoning on one side. I sliced up some thin pieces of hickory wood to throw on the fire immediately before the steaks so it would burn fast.

I will never look at pork butt the same again. I cannot fathom how this is not a huge thing. I had never heard of or considered this before a couple weeks ago. I just figured it would be as tough as a steak cut from brisket. Not quite as tender as a ribeye, but plenty tender and might improve with a lower internal temp.

Steaks I cut off a pork butt I vacuum  pack and sous vide them for 24 hours then finish them off on the grill.

Haven't done them the "hot and fast" way yet but I'll have to give that a go sometime.

St. L style and SV are my favorite methods of cooking butt steaks. Either way, they are fantastic and one of my favorite Q meals. Seriously, if you can try it SV then seared......OMG, so good.

I picked up a couple at Costco, but they seem too thin for grilling (½ inch).  I'll cook these SV and sear.  Any suggestions on the SV process?  Temp, seasoning when vacuum sealing, time and like that?

My butcher says he will cut them to my preferred thickness.  What thickness should I order?