Got home from work on Friday, wanted something quick, easy and yummy.  After looking in the mirror, I ticked that box :-D then decided I needed to cook some dinner!!!

I buy heaps of different sausages from my fave butcher (they make them in-house and have won heaps of awards), mix them up for variety, vac seal them, and throw them in the freezer.  Then all I have to do when I feel like sausages, is put them in a sink of hot water while the Kamado heats up.  By the time KJ's hot, the snags are thawed and ready do go.

snags.thumb.png.3fb238b2fef4fc9fc79440f7ada02fbe.png

This is about 3 mins into their 10 min cooking time.  I alternate between letting the flames crisp them up, and closing the lid & bottom vent to let them bake in smokey heat.  They come out super-moist and super-yummy!!

6 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I am conflicted. I am starting to appreciate sausage off of my smoker more and more but, nothing really compares to one that has been kissed by fire

I agree!!  I've kind of got both happening - i probably flame them for 3 mins out of the 10 (the flames are high enough to char the outside with no problems), and smoke them for the other 7 or so.  Def not a strong smoke flavour, but they are appreciably different than done on the now-retired gasser.

• 2 years later...
On 12/30/2020 at 12:27 AM, Sito said:

Probably a bit late to the party but... At what temperature do you guys cook the sausages on the Kamado?

Thanks!

You have options! I do them a little different depending on what else I might be cooking. If I'm smoking something low and slow, I just throw them on and let them smoke alongside a couple of hours. That gives a chewier snappy skin. If I'm grilling other things direct they come out juicy and cook quickly over a medium hot fire. If my focus is mostly the sausage I do a two zone setup at a hot temp and cook indirect before putting them directly over the flames at the end. 

Basically anywhere between 225-400+ depending on the goal, how much time you have and your preferences.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:27 AM, Sito said:

Probably a bit late to the party but... At what temperature do you guys cook the sausages on the Kamado?

Thanks!

I just did some tonight.

I smoked them indirect at 225-240, they took just over an hour to come up to 165 internal temp. Then I turned the grill up and put the grate low to get some direct heat and burn marks onto them.