Sign in to follow this  
Griffin

Opinions Wanted: Looking to buy a Kamado style grill

Hi, I wanted to get some feedback regarding which grill to get. I have boiled it down to a few options:

1) Primo round all-in-one $800

2) Pit boss k24 from Costco $599

3) Used BGE $800

The pit boss is considerably cheaper at $599, and I hear in August they usually go on clearance for $350. As primo owners, I was hoping to get some feedback on after owning the primo, do you believe it is still worth the premium? I have read some people have had issues with Primo honoring their warranties, so that is a concern as well. Would you buy the Pit Boss knowing what you know today? Or would you still fork up the extra $ for the primo? Are there any large differences between the design and quality of the aforementioned brands? I really appreciate any help you may be able to offer. Thanks!

I have two Primos a XL and a Jr., have had no need to file a warranty claim but don't feel there would be any issue.  Yes I'd purchase a Primo product again.  Other brands I'd consider would be KJ from a Costco road show or if money were no object possibly a KK.

when i got my used bge i had a large size i got all the accessories ect  for 650 700 

new price for large is 850 but that is with just the stand and egg with accessories around 1100

if i could go back in time i might be inclined to get a new Joe cause it comes with everything...

good luck choosing but whatever you chose i am sure you will love cooking on any of them

I dont have experience with the others.  but I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy another pit boss kamado  mind you I havent owned it long term yet.  (I know mine needed some additional gasket to seal it up better) 

From what ive read all in all ideally youl want the side tables and deflector ect.. so count that in your expenses no matter what route you go... or atleast its what I came up with...  Ive also read a couple stories about the primo while searching.  Definitely read about more positive claims for the KJ, BGE ect. 

56 minutes ago, prowe said:

Wow, I have read great things about primo customer service. I have no personal experience with them, but I have read positive things several times.

if you dig deep enough youl find someone somewhere with some bad  experiences... not one business can keep every single customer happy. I didnt research primo into as much depth as the KJ... but found a couple write ups that where "meh"  but it doesnt help when your  searching with a title like "common issues with ***   your going to tend to find those types of reviews in the mix.

The lesson I have learned living in Canada, is that distribution channels matter greatly.   I would make sure that you have access to multiple regional distributors to ensure that should you require warranty assistance, you are able to get it.   The vendor I purchased from does not seem to deal directly with Canadian customers, so I have to work through my reseller.  My reseller is great, but because of the limited distributors of the particular brand I purchased,  it takes a very long time to get parts when I need them.  (It recently took 10 weeks to get a new diffuser).   

Having looked at BGE in the UK I couldn't justify the cost after looking at the Pitt boss. It does have flaws but they are well documented In the pub thread and easy to fix. Also lifetime guarantee on ceramics. Unfortunately unable to see a primo in the flesh to check it out. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      So far it's a great Saturday morning.   Got up a little early, started a fire with rockwood and apple.  Then dressed this 15 pound brisket with my coffee rub blend.

Later today I have a hunk of loin to cook, it's been curing for about 14 days.

I'll update with photos in a few hours. 

• By EZ smoke
      I've posted some of this stuff before but figured I would consolidate a post with the accessories I use on my PB K24. I haven't spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars like some folks and know that others probably have better or different ways of accomplishing much of the same thing. I don't use any temp control gadget and don't really feel the need to. After gaining a couple years experience cooking on mine I can dial it in and maintain temps fairly easily. (BTW I did do the vent mods to eliminate any big leaks) Anyhow, these are the gizmos I use to help cook on the Pit Boss:

Firebox Divider Charcoal Fire Grate for Most Standard Size Kamado Grills, 10.5-inch ~$35 I haven't even had a chance to use this yet but it looks well made and should help with two-zone cooking. I'm not certain this is really needed as I've been able to cope without it for the first few years doing two-zone cooks but hey it's a fun new gizmo. Pit Boss 76251 Heat Deflector, 24" ~$45 I know that these are now included standard with the grill. I had one break and PB/Danson's did replace without any problems. I use the OEM deflector a ton... it's used for all my Low and Slow Smokes (brisket, ribs, pork butt, etc), CI Dutch Oven cooks (roasts, stews, etc),  pizza cooks, and all my baking. Half Moon Heat Deflector Plate ~$20 These are 15" diameter and work well on the main lower grate to cook on the upper grate. I use these for two-zone cooking and also for a 2nd deflector in some cases, like for cooking pizza. These don't fit inside the legs of the OEM upper rack perfectly (more on that later). Also, I've split the OEM upper grate into two half moon grates to allow easier maneuvering inside the grill. Indirect Cooking Rack, Extra Large ~$35 This is an accessory that I thought I would use a lot more when I purchased it. I still use it as a second rack for pizzas and such but it isn't something I wouldn't buy again. Unlike the OEM upper grate you can get the (2) half moons installed under it without any interference. IIRC this cooking rack is 15" diameter with the legs protruding out another few inches. Outdoor Gourmet 14 in Preseasoned Round Griddle ~$13 This is absolutely one of the best accessories that I own ( I actually have 2) for my Kamado. I use it as a pizza stone up on the upper rack with both sets of deflectors in place and it works absolutely fantastic. I also, use this on the lower rack directly over the coals to cook my Philly cheese-steak sandwich meat.  Maverick ET-733 dual probe remote thermometer ~$35 I didn't provide a link because everyone has there own set-up for monitoring temps.  
      Of course there's all the other normal cooking stuff, utensils and the like for the grill.

Firebox Divider:

OEM Deflector with OEM Grates:

OEM Lower Grate with Half Moon Deflector and OEM Half Moon Grate:

OEM Deflector and Lower Grate with (2) Half Moon Deflectors and Upper Rack:

Same as above with Cast Iron Griddle ready for pizza:

• By NJBrian
      Hello, 
      I just acquired a primo from a friend who was downsizing.  I am replacing and upgrading components and really wanted an oven style/fiberglass or woven metal type gasket vs. nomex.  This just seems like a cleaner option for the grill surface. 

I read a story about someone using this type of gasket (thicker than the standard gasket) so they only needed to gasket the lid - not the cooking surface (limited grease and organic matter on a grate level gasket).   

Anyone do this? 

BTW - new to the group
    • By Everyday Life with Steve
      This past weekend, I did a spatchcock chicken on the Pit Boss.  It was some of the juiciest chicken I've had and it came out really good.

Spatchcock Chicken on the Pit Boss Kamado

• By Smoque'n
      Working on some faux burnt ends. Been smoking since 9:30am. Almost ready to pull and cube up.