CentralTexBBQ

Replacement Wire Mesh Gasket For Pre-2017 Big Joe

I guess, I could wait and do an unboxing, install and review video on Youtube but, I'm no Youtuber so, why start now? :-D

Anyway, I called my local Authorized KJ dealer on Monday and inquired about a replacement Wire Mesh Fiberglass Gasket for an original, pre-2017 Big Joe (Model #BJ24RH). He then called KJ for me (KJ simply referred me to the dealer), I was given the part number #BJ-MGA24 and told that they would in fact be able to order it from KJ. He called again yesterday to say that it will be here in a about week and cost around $90. YES!!!

44 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I guess, I could wait and do an unboxing, install and review video on Youtube but, I'm no Youtuber so, why start now? :-D

Anyway, I called my local Authorized KJ dealer on Monday and inquired about a replacement Wire Mesh Fiberglass Gasket for an original, pre-2017 Big Joe (Model #BJ24RH). He then called KJ for me (KJ simply referred me to the dealer), I was given the part number #BJ-MGA24 and told that they would in fact be able to order it from KJ. He called again yesterday to say that it will be here in a about week and cost around $90. YES!!!

I saw they were available last week and posted this lnk, let us all know how the install goes

https://www.quetopiabbq.com/product/kamado-joe-gasket/

1 hour ago, Deebo said:

Will this gasket be effective w/o the latch?

The latch is needed because the 2018 airlift hinge counterbalanced the dome to the point there you can lift it with one finger.  Older joes the weight of the dome will help keep the seal.  

3 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

@CentralTexBBQ - did you end up getting the new gasket?  I’d like to hear about it if you did. My Big Joe needs a gasket and I might consider going this route....

Anticipation is apparently making me wait. Don't quite know what the hold-up is. The Hardware store dropped the ball the last time I called and did not call for an update. I should hear something on Monday.

24 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Anticipation is apparently making me wait. Don't quite know what the hold-up is. The Hardware store dropped the ball the last time I called and did not call for an update. I should hear something on Monday.

Let us know how it goes if you don’t mind. :)

The hardware called today to and informed me that the gaskets for the classic are on backorder. Well, I do not have a classic, I own the Big Joe! :angry: Don't quite know what the purpose of giving them the model number and all that, if they'd still mess it up.

So a month later he's finally ordering the correct gasket??? Color me perturbed.

It’s taking a while to get them into Canada as per the norm.  I can’t wait to get rid of the felt gaskets.  I’ve had my fill of gasket changes over the year.   I’d rather have the maintenance free peace of mind of the new gaskets.    

4 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

The hardware called today to and informed me that the gaskets for the classic are on backorder. Well, I do not have a classic, I own the Big Joe! :angry: Don't quite know what the purpose of giving them the model number and all that, if they'd still mess it up.

So a month later he's finally ordering the correct gasket??? Color me perturbed.

I’m going to make a run at ordering one today.  There is a hardware store in town that doesn’t stock anything, but they can order it. Maybe I’ll even beat you to the punch on getting it in hand. 

I was taking a close look at my Big Joe last night (trying to get very cozy with it since my husband sold my Vision - honestly I’m a little freaked out about parting with that since I know it so well) and I’m pretty certain there are two layers of gasket on the bottom. I questioned the guy I bought it from last fall because the gasket looked so good. He said he never changed it and as far as he knew the original owner hadn’t either. It leaks all around the left side of the dome... now I’m worried I have a bigger problem and if I just strip the gasket and replace it with a HighQue one like I planned I will really have a huge problem. I’ll take pictures tonight to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating last night.  My anxiety level is going to go through the roof if I have to start playing with the hinge. 

47 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

I’m going to make a run at ordering one today.  There is a hardware store in town that doesn’t stock anything, but they can order it. Maybe I’ll even beat you to the punch on getting it in hand. 

I was taking a close look at my Big Joe last night (trying to get very cozy with it since my husband sold my Vision - honestly I’m a little freaked out about parting with that since I know it so well) and I’m pretty certain there are two layers of gasket on the bottom. I questioned the guy I bought it from last fall because the gasket looked so good. He said he never changed it and as far as he knew the original owner hadn’t either. It leaks all around the left side of the dome... now I’m worried I have a bigger problem and if I just strip the gasket and replace it with a HighQue one like I planned I will really have a huge problem. I’ll take pictures tonight to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating last night.  My anxiety level is going to go through the roof if I have to start playing with the hinge. 

I have replaced gaskets and hinges. Feel free to reach out. 

15 minutes ago, Ben S said:

I have replaced gaskets and hinges. Feel free to reach out. 

I hope I’m wrong on the double layer gasket - going to look close tonight... I’ll let you know if not. Just ordered the new gasket.... but no word on ETA yet.