CentralTexBBQ

Replacement Wire Mesh Gasket For Pre-2017 Big Joe

Curious myself.  I have to replace my gasket, and would like to move to the mesh rather than felt, but only if it is good.  I see bbqguys has it listed and says it will work with the older units, but would rather hear confirmation from someone here?

There’s no confusion here.  I explain things clearly to help everyone out. 

The whole point of releasing the new Fiberglass gasket was to assist people with older Joe’s.  The new gasket is practically indestructible.  With the exception of delivery damage, no one is replacing gaskets on brand new Joes.

The new Fiberglass OEM gasket was released specifically for people to upgrade the gasket material on their older Joe’s.  The gaskets are meant for both new and older Joe’s.

The new gasket might cause problems fitting the Joetisserie on older Joe’s if you’re using the older hinge designs.  There’s some variance in the ceramic material.  Some people won’t have trouble fitting the wedge; others will have issues fitting the Joestissrie wedge with the new gaskets and the original hinge.  The Jostisserie Wedge is already a tight fit on older Joe’s. 

KJ also sells a modified version of the Air Lift Hinge that’s partially counterbalanced for older Joe’s.   Switching to the new hinge solves

the problem of the Jostiserie wedge not fitting with the thicker gasket.

The Modified AirLift hinge for the older Joe’s will not hold the lid open a few inches like the AirLift 2 on the New Joe’s.   The redesigned hinge will come down after the dome is 3/4 of the way closed.  The revised hinge is vastly superior to the older hinge design.  

People using the Jostiserie’s should upgrade the gasket. The Jostiserie wedge beats up the felt gasket on the bases shortening the lifespan of the felt gasket dramatically. 

On 8/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, cwhuling said:

Curious myself.  I have to replace my gasket, and would like to move to the mesh rather than felt, but only if it is good.  I see bbqguys has it listed and says it will work with the older units, but would rather hear confirmation from someone here?

Here’s a picture of a brand new replacement base for a Big Joe Kamado version one sent by KJ to replace an older black Big Joe base.  

58B24985-DBDD-46FB-A2AD-8853649B5A23.jpeg

On 8/19/2018 at 2:19 PM, funkahdafi said:

How did the story end? Were you successful installing the mesh gasket?

On 8/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, cwhuling said:

sorry, hadn't checked in for a few days. I detailed the process here: 

I just installed the mesh gasket on the bottom half of my my Big Joe and was wondering if anyone out there has tried installing the mesh gasket on only one the top or only the bottom.  It seems to have a pretty good seal with just the bottom installed.  I have not tried to cook anything yet so I don't know for sure.  Does anyone see any downside to only installing the one side?

Thanks 

20 hours ago, Lenthan said:

I just installed the mesh gasket on the bottom half of my my Big Joe and was wondering if anyone out there has tried installing the mesh gasket on only one the top or only the bottom.  It seems to have a pretty good seal with just the bottom installed.  I have not tried to cook anything yet so I don't know for sure.  Does anyone see any downside to only installing the one side?

Thanks 

It’ll function fine on an older Joe because the weight of the dome is creating the seal since the hinge is only partially counterbalanced. 

Eventually it will leak as your top gasket wears out.  You might as well bite the bullet now and get the gasket change done. Your shutdown times will burning lump more efficiently with the perfect seal created by both compression gaskets kissing. 

1 hour ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It’ll function fine on an older Joe because the weight of the dome is creating the seal since the hinge is only partially counterbalanced. 

Eventually it will leak as your top gasket wears out.  You might as well bite the bullet now and get the gasket change done. Your shutdown times will burning lump more efficiently with the perfect seal created by both compression gaskets kissing. 

Interesting. Not even sure it would leak with just the bottom mesh gasket and non on the top. However, I personally would still get both done. :-D

21 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Interesting. Not even sure it would leak with just the bottom mesh gasket and non on the top. However, I personally would still get both done. :-D

Thanks all!

I'm going to try it for a bit with just the bottom mesh gasket on.  I cleaned off the top so as of now it's mesh on the bottom and just the bare ceramic on top, seems to be a good seal.  The wire mesh is still thicker then the felt even with just the bottom installed. 

Going to smoke a pork shoulder tonight and will have my temp controller hooked up so I'll probably test the seal by closing down the top vent and kicking the fan up to max to see where the smoke escapes.

Worst case I can install the top gasket later....

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

That's what I was referring to. I still see no reason not to install the top gasket but, that just me. :-D

Generally Felt gaskets don’t wear evenly.  Eventually it will wear more in one spot causing a link.  It’ll work without changing the gasket.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:31 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

Here’s a picture of a brand new replacement base for a Big Joe Kamado version one sent by KJ to replace an older black Big Joe base.  

58B24985-DBDD-46FB-A2AD-8853649B5A23.jpeg

I’m buying 2 gaskets for the Big Joe’s 

I’m wondering if I should replace this torn gasket with a new gasket or simply use the tape that comes with the gasket to patch over the small tear.

What do you guys think?  Should I use the tape to patch the small tear or should I patch it off the the KJ Gasket tape design to close off the gap in the back?

4 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m buying 2 gaskets for the Big Joe’s 

I’m wondering if I should replace this torn gasket with a new gasket or simply use the tape that comes with the gasket to patch over the small tear.

What do you guys think?  Should I use the tape to patch the small tear or should I patch it off the the KJ Gasket tape design to close off the gap in the back?

It's not tape. It's a canvas like material which has ~1/8" strips of adhesive on either length of the tape. Perhaps you could pry that small section up and reapply it after covering but, I'm not sure. 

Hmmmm, I'd be wondering whether it's still functional and maybe go with it until it wasn't.

3 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

It's not tape. It's a canvas like material which has ~1/8" strips of adhesive on either length of the tape. Perhaps you could pry that small section up and reapply it after covering but, I'm not sure. 

Hmmmm, I'd be wondering whether it's still functional and maybe go with it until it wasn't.

I was thinking about using a tiny amount of Permatex Ultra Coper to glue the mesh tape down to cover the small rip.