Replacement Wire Mesh Gasket For Pre-2017 Big Joe

CentralTexBBQ

I suspect that the tear is entirely cosmetic.  I doubt that it would cause any sort of leakage.

That said there is no way I could instal the part with that defect.  So I would replace it.   Then a year later I would damage the new one even worse, and do nothing about it for years.

Not at all logical.  But that is just how my mind works.  I want new stuff to look new.

17 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I was thinking about using a tiny amount of Permatex Ultra Coper to glue the mesh tape down to cover the small rip. 

Well perhaps you are as skilled as @cwhuling. His installation looks perfect. In my experience, that permatex copper is fairly messy stuff and not easily managed in that it the pieces easily slide etc. until it has set for a long period. So don't close the top or anything for at least a couple of hours.I recall things sliding all over the place.

:rofl:

2 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Well perhaps you are as skilled as @cwhuling. His installation looks perfect. In my experience, that permatex copper is fairly messy stuff and not easily managed in that it the pieces easily slide etc. until it has set for a long period. So don't close the top or anything for at least a couple of hours.I recall things sliding all over the place.

:rofl:

The new parts aren’t together yet.  The new gaskets really require taking the joe apart to perfectly install them.  

Trying to install a compression gasket neatly with the dome attached just isn’t going to be pretty. 

5 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The new parts aren’t together yet.  The new gaskets really require taking the joe apart to perfectly install them.  

Trying to install a compression gasket neatly with the dome attached just isn’t going to be pretty. 

Ummm yeah, wasn't going to do that! :rofl:

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Finished mine yesterday and took it for a test run (tube steaks) tonight.

I went with a hybrid approach.

I put some Ultra Copper under each of the small cover pieces (to hold them down since they have no adhesive on the ceramic side), then put small sections (less than an inch long) spaced around the perimeter as I put the gasket down.

I figured the adhesive will hold things in place while the RTV cures (where a continuous bead seems to make things very hard to lock down before the RTV cures), but I also have the extra stick of the RTV in places for reinforcement. Blue painters tape spaced around the gasket also helped keep things in place when I lowered the dome to put pressure on the gasket(s).

I did the bottom Wednesday and the top Thursday. Solved the RTV curing in the applicator by taking it off and cleaning it out with a couple bamboo skewers and putting the original cap back on the tube.

I only have one area I'm not really happy with, of course it's at the front on the top gasket where it was hardest to see and place cleanly. Looks decent... not OEM, but definitely not shabby.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread but i replaced my gasket a week ago or so and just wanted to share my experience.   

i scraped and wire brushed the old gasket off and cleaned it really well with acetone.    I 100% feel that the copper permatex is completely unnecessary,  the tape on the gasket is more than strong enough.  After installing i set it at 250* for @3 hrs.  I also don't think any adhesive at the seam is needed either.  The weight of the dome is more than enough to make a seal.   

Anyway,  i just thought id share my experience and a couple pics

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

• 5 months later...

Can anyone help explain why the cost of replacement gaskets varies so much? The pre-2017 is half the price of the current one. Has technology moved on that much? 

https://bbqgaskets.com/wire-mesh-fiberglass-gasket-replacement-for-kamado-joe-classic-18-by-lavalockr.html VS https://www.bedsbbq.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=gasket&PN=Kamado-Classic-Joe-Mesh-Gasket-Replacement-Kit.html#SID=230